Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Xiled1
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Hiking In Brazil, Anyone Been?

Post by Xiled1 » Jan 25 2019 5:43 pm

We are in the process of planning a trip to Brazil and we want to hike in Canyon Fortaleza. So far it looks like any hikes IN the canyon are only led by guides and really geared toward tourists. 8 hours for a 9 mile hike. I wanted to see if there were any other options for through canyon hikes because that is more of a tour than a hike. I figured its a shot in the dark but worth a try.

mistaben
Exploring Kokopelli

Re: Hiking In Brazil, Anyone Been?

Post by mistaben » Mar 20 2019 11:13 pm

@Xiled1
You're talking about the canyon on the border between Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul? I have a friend from Porto Alegre who once told me about a canyon up on that border he and his brother like to hike in. It might be that one. I didn't know the name until just now, but I looked it up to recommend it.

I've done just a bit of hiking in parts of Rio Grande do Sul: some of the morros around Porto Alegre, some of the forest west of Porto Alegre's Lomba do Pinheiro neighborhood, and around Cachoeira do Sul and fuzzy fertilizer bank, but that was all almost 20 years ago.

mistaben
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by mistaben » Mar 20 2019 11:16 pm

@mistaben
LOL "fuzzy fertilizer bank?" That should be this city, which has a name that (I guess) isn't very nice in Spanish: https://goo.gl/maps/jVp8ud2ZHn42

Xiled1
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Xiled1 » Mar 21 2019 8:36 am

We made it their. Anything inside of either canyon has to be led by a guide. You can hike on your own on the rim and there were a few trail signs. Unfortunately I got sick and ended up having my gall bladder removed so didn't get to do anything at the canyons. We hiked in parks and reserves around Gramado and Canela and they were nice. Nothing too long but scenic.

SAMBA
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SAMBA » Mar 21 2019 11:46 am

@Xiled1
Playing the ol' "gall bladder" card again. Can't anyone come up with an imaginative excuse?

Xiled1
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by Xiled1 » Mar 23 2019 5:53 am

Proof!
stones.jpg

SAMBA
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SAMBA » Mar 23 2019 9:14 am

@Xiled1
Yet another minced gall bladder photo! Are HAZers so devoid of even a scintilla of imagination that they can't post something new to this once-distinguished forum?

Return to “Trail Chat”