Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
jladderud
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Valentine Peak, Santa Catalinas

Post by jladderud » May 04 2019 4:49 pm

I use the Peakbagger app and have noticed a named point, Valentine Peak, up Pima Canyon (https://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=84807). A quick google search and a search of this site tell me nothing about it. Can anyone tell me where the name came from? Does anyone know of a "standard" route? I made my way up to the summit this afternoon (yes, it was toasty; but manageable) via the Pima Canyon Trail with a bit of ridgeline bush whacking along the north ridge. It was rather chossy with some high-consequence 4th class terrain at the top. But I noticed a couple cairns near the top 50-100', and a summit register. I don't think it gets many visitors per year (if any); but I'm obviously not the first to visit the spot.

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Re: Valentine Peak, Santa Catalinas

Post by SuperstitionGuy » May 04 2019 6:44 pm

The standard route is the one you created and HAZ is going to name the peak after you. :y:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

SpiderLegs
Former Brand Emphasizer

Post by SpiderLegs » May 04 2019 9:21 pm

May have to add this to my list. Sounds fun and Pima Canyon is turning into one of my favorite spots to explore since I moved here.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

jladderud
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by jladderud » May 05 2019 1:05 pm

SpiderLegs wrote:May have to add this to my list.
It's a good adventure. Just be comfortable with 4th class climbing and evaluating crumbly rocks. The objective hazards are a little high on the route I took.

SAMBA
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by SAMBA » May 05 2019 3:50 pm

You can join SAHC, Southern Arizona Hiking Club, http://www.sahcinfo.org/. My fading memory tells me SAHC annually bags (bagged?) VP on, wait for it!, Valentine's Day. As I remember there was one crumbly rock chute, think Browns Peak, that we SAHCers all approached with extreme caution. The chance of dislodging a rock projectile on one of your fellow hikers was HIGH.

jladderud
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by jladderud » May 05 2019 5:54 pm

SAMBA wrote:wait for it!, Valentine's Day.
I saw a summit log from Valentine's Day, 1991. I'm not sure if they would still keep up with the tradition given that the peak, by my estimation, falls within the bighorn sheep closure.

Return to “Trail Chat”