Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
sajor75
Seedless Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix

Where to park and ride in Apache Trail

Post by sajor75 » Jun 16 2019 1:50 pm

Im pondering doing the Apache trail as my 1st bikepacking adventure, where is a good spot to park my vehicle and ride, i dont want to get back and find my cars been jacked lol but i plan to take extra easy and do some lake swimming, so most likely it will take me at least 2 days to complete.

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Where to park and ride in Apache Trail

Post by nonot » Jun 16 2019 1:59 pm

I believe it is closed due to the fire? Be aware that most is unpaved. I am not sure it is allowed to bike this trail where it is unpaved - fish creek hill is particularly dangerous?
Last edited by nonot on Jun 16 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

sajor75
Seedless Kokopelli

Post by sajor75 » Jun 16 2019 2:25 pm

@nonot
Yes, i was asking for future outings. It is allowed to bikepack the main apache trail that ends at 188az, just see all the youtube videos on it.

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Jun 16 2019 3:30 pm

If you really like danger go ahead an bike the full length of Apache Trail or Arizona highway 88 as it is know.
But before you go take out a short term life insurance policy and designate the proceeds to go the founder of HAZ Joe Bartels......
Just sayin....
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

rcorfman
Wanzigopelli

Post by rcorfman » Jun 16 2019 10:31 pm

Oh come on people, there's no issue with riding a bike along the whole length of the Apache Trail. Fish Creek hill wouldn't be a problem at all; taking a bicycle on it doesn't even compare to pulling a boat along it. What is the purpose of throwing out stupid ignorant comments instead of trying to answer the question?
Go find a LonelyCache

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Jun 16 2019 11:19 pm

The guy posted about biking on a dirt/gravel road that is narrow with heavy traffic, that also is the northern edge of a current wildfire. Biking it may not be the brightest idea...

If you have something to contribute, why don't you? If you want to complain about stupid ignorant posts, look no further than your own?
Last edited by nonot on Jun 16 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!

ALMAL
Huck Finn Kokopelli
City, State: GILBERT

Post by ALMAL » Jun 17 2019 10:28 am

Last edited by ALMAL on Jun 17 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
You aren't late if you don't show up!

sajor75
Seedless Kokopelli

Post by sajor75 » Jun 17 2019 11:16 am

@ALMAL
Whats your point buddy

gummo
Legless Lizard Kopelli
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Jun 17 2019 12:06 pm

@sajor75
Park on Tomahawk Rd, Hackmore Rd, or on or near the road leading to First Water Trail (best option). I think you can park at Goldfield Ghost town. A better road to ride is Bush Hwy (Power Rd north of Thomas Rd).
Last edited by gummo on Jun 17 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ddgrunning
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ddgrunning » Jun 17 2019 12:49 pm

I've mountain-biked the Apache Trail from Canyon Lake (Tortilla Flat) to Roosevelt Lake. If the road is open generally, I'm not aware of anything that prohibits biking it. It is a tough haul, with a surprising amount of elevation gain. And, of course, this time of year, it will be roasting. I parked near the store/cantina at Tortilla Flat, but mine was just a day trip--not overnight. Also, parking there starts you off with 1100 ft. climb in the first 5.5 miles up to the "end of pavement"--where the road bikers who head out to Canyon Lake generally turn around.

There is a parking area and bathroom just before you descend to Fish Creek Hill. I assume you could park there with a Tonto Pass(?). I'd probably recommend that as a better starting point. I don't know how "safe" it is there in terms of car vandalism, but haven't heard any horror stories.

As for safety of bike riding the route, the road into Canyon Lake itself is much more dangerous, in my opinion. I did that too once on my road bike. It's a cool ride, but there are no shoulders and tons of blind curves.

The dirt road involves much less risk of getting hit by a car, IMO. Just exercise caution and be a defensive bicyclist--and make sure your bike is in good condition (esp. brakes on Fish Creek Hill!). Be prepared for a dusty, wash-boardy conditions, going up and down/in and out of innumerable draws.

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Jun 17 2019 2:30 pm

ddgrunning wrote:I assume you could park there with a Tonto Pass(?).
No need for a Tonto pass to park there.
I can't remember if there is a sign prohibiting overnight parking but I personally wouldn't leave my vehicle there overnight.
CannondaleKid

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Jun 17 2019 8:27 pm

ddgrunning wrote:There is a parking area and bathroom just before you descend to Fish Creek Hill. I assume you could park there with a Tonto Pass(?). I'd probably recommend that as a better starting point. I don't know how "safe" it is there in terms of car vandalism, but haven't heard any horror stories.
A more appropriate place to park overnight would probably be the trailhead for JF/Peters trail about a half mile before that, assuming they ever open up Apache Trail the remainder of the year.

Return to “Trail Chat”