Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Four Peaks Mother Lode, AZ
Linked Areas none
jajohnson11
City, State: Tucson, AZ

(Pete's) Backwards Z ramp Four Peaks Mother Lode

Post by jajohnson11 » Oct 14 2019 4:46 pm

Headed out to do the four peaks mother lode this weekend. Seems like the best (or quickest) way up peak 2 (going 4-3-2-1) is up the backwards z ramp. I hear a lot of mention of this and dug through every photo set but no one seems to have any good pictures of the beta near the top. Does anyone have any good photo / video showing that specific section (or a thorough explanation)

Thanks in advance!

no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Re: (Pete's) Backwards Z ramp Four Peaks Mother Lode

Post by DixieFlyer » Oct 14 2019 5:50 pm

@jajohnson11
I have been on #1, #2, and #4, but I have never been on #3...the crux of it seems to be going from #3 to #2...personally, I don't think that I would want to try the reverse z...but I am sure that others on here could give you some advice...good luck!
I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of starvation.

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Oct 14 2019 9:46 pm

quickest least hassle IMO is to contour 0.1 mile NE to just above 7070ft, then NW up to 2
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

jajohnson11

Post by jajohnson11 » Oct 14 2019 10:38 pm

@joebartels
Roger that thanks Joe. Being the thrill seeker I am however, The backwards z ramp seems right up our alley! Definitely will have this in our back pocket though.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 14 2019 11:10 pm

Up and down 3 will probably leave you excited for more or concerned about time... you'll know. Have fun!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

pfredricks
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by pfredricks » Oct 15 2019 10:46 pm

I can answer questions about the backward Z.--Pete
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 15 2019 11:29 pm

:o the source...
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

jajohnson11

Post by jajohnson11 » Oct 16 2019 8:44 am

@pfredricks
The man the myth the legend!
Just some beta for the route specifically the top. Is it C4 of vertical climbing? Is the route obvious? Do you have any pictures or videos of the route that might help?
Thanks so much in advance for your help!

pfredricks

Post by pfredricks » Oct 16 2019 1:09 pm

If by legend, you mean old, you are correct. Honestly, Joe's GPS'd route is going to be the way better choice. If you want to check out the Z, it's really not that much detour to go up the slant, take a look, and come back down if you don't like. It's been 10 years, but as I recall it as 12 feet or so of maybe 45 degree rock surface to climb up and be safe again. It's got okay handhold/foothold (but not great) on with a deadly drop off to the left, could probably control any falls to the right and just get really hurt, but the exposure made me uncomfy the couple times I did it. Might refrain from doing it again. BigRacket1 has some decent photos that you can kind of zoom in on. I can't post a picture here, but I traced the route on BigRacket's pic to the best of my recollection and I'll send to your email. If you'd consider postponing a couple weeks, I just might could go with you. One way or dos Veces? -Pete
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

pfredricks

Post by pfredricks » Oct 16 2019 1:11 pm

@joebartels hey Joe- just happened to check in after a long time away! Great to see you again friend!

Return to “Trail Chat”