Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Area  • Pusch Ridge, AZ
azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Pusch Wilderness closures

Post by azdesertfather »

Hi everyone, I’m wondering if the annual Pusch wilderness closures are still in effect this year? It has been each year from Jan. 1 til Apr. 30, for the benefit of the bighorns. I haven’t found anything on it, and the last document I’ve found was for 2019...

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 561663.pdf

Gracias
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau
no avatar
DixieFlyer
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Re: Pusch Wilderness closures

Post by DixieFlyer »

It looks like you are looking at an old closure notice

Go here and you'll see a link to the Santa Catalina Ranger District Big Horn Sheep Closure Order, which is currently in effect:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/coronado/alerts-notices
I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of starvation.
azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather »

@DixieFlyer That’s what I was looking for! Thanks. Should have not depended on google to find it for me, and just gone to FS.gov!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau
Pivo

Post by Pivo »

Please take note: there is the Pusch Bighorn Sheep Management Area, and Pusch Wilderness Area. They're often confused as being the same.
SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs »

As a recent transplant and because the trail up to Pusch Peak is the closest trail to my house, I wanted some clarification. Looked on the map and it shows the Linda Vista trails open (just can't go off trail more than a few hundred feet. Is the trail that shoots off the Linda Vista trails up to Pusch Peak off limits during the closure?
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley »

@SpiderLegs Did you read the forest order? It’s in the link posted above. The trails that are exempt from the closure are specifically listed and shown on the accompanying map. There is no ambiguity.
Championing breakfast since 1994.
Jim_H
City, State: University, AZ

Post by Jim_H »

Probably, but Matt and I noted that when we go to scout for our hunt, we aren't hiking.
"Mmmm, Yes I would, Kent". [ youtube video ]
chumley

Post by chumley »

@Jim_H Did you read the forest order? It’s in the link posted above. There is no mention of hiking. Or scouting. Or hunting. There is no ambiguity.
Mountain_Rat

Post by Mountain_Rat »

@SpiderLegs
I can't seem to get a straight answer on this one. There's a lot of information about it, but none of it adds up to a decent answer. I would suggest involving an attorney, but even then nobody would have an answer for you before May 1st (Got to love the government's handling of our affairs).

Have you been to the Linda Vista/Pusch junction since Jan 1 to see if there's a posting there? There were murmurings last year that Pusch trail, though an unofficial one may have it's status changed either in part or completely.
Matt
SpiderLegs

Post by SpiderLegs »

@Mountain_Rat - I've been laying low and nursing some injuries up until recently, so haven't been over there yet this year. Last year was laid up with Valley Fever the beginning of the year, so haven't been near the trail during the closure season. All I know is that the trail up to Pusch Peak is well used and should be an "official" trail by now.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer
Mountain_Rat

Post by Mountain_Rat »

@SpiderLegs
The Big Brass at Honeywell think so too, since 100s of their employees live across the street from the trailhead. I've been waiting to see just how much money they got. I may pop by and take a look when I get back next week, but my guess is that Honeywell will get their way if they haven't already. Until then it's as clear as mud. I wouldn't rely on The Great Oz (google) for your answer, it's not that straight forward.

Man, how could you not want more government involvement in your life? :/
Matt
chumley

Post by chumley »

Mountain_Rat wrote: Feb 11 2020 2:33 pm it's as clear as mud
I'm confused. What part of the following is unclear?
The following acts are prohibited within the area described ... and as depicted on the attached map:
1. Going into or being upon the Restricted Area.

Exemptions:
5. Persons using the following National Forest System trails: Ventana Canyon (#98), Pima Canyon (#62), Esperero (#25), Cathedral Rock (#26), West Fork (#24), Mount Lemmon (#5), Finger Rock (#42), Pontatoc (#410), Linda Vista (#49), Sutherland Wash (#6), and Romero (#8).
Mountain_Rat

Post by Mountain_Rat »

@chumley
I'll say again, it's not that straight forward. I've discussed this and similar issues with forces greater far than google and it's army of hall-monitors. I'll stick with my sources, thank you.
Matt
chumley

Post by chumley »

@Mountain_Rat
It's the actual text of the actual order written and published by the USDA Forest Service enforceable by law.

It is not influenced by google, hall monitors, other hikers, or "your sources".

So I'd respectfully ask again: what part of the forest order is not straight forward? :-k
Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots »

@chumley

It says "going into or being upon"... but what about being within?
chumley

Post by chumley »

@Tough_Boots
Good question. I stand corrected: it IS very confusing!

Return to “Trail Chat”