no avatar
DixieFlyer
Guides: 60 | Official Routes: 54
Triplogs Last: today | RS: 5
Water Reports 1Y: 27 | Last: 4 days ago
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Decalibron Loop

Post by DixieFlyer »

Many of you are probably aware of it, but the Decalibron Loop in Colorado has been closed for about a month now. It was tentatively supposed to reopen on June 1, but to my knowledge the issues that forced the closure have not been resolved.

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2021/05/ ... ng/258455/

The liability issues for the landowners came to a head when a bicyclist seriously injured on a trail on the property of the US Air Force Academy won $7.3 million in a lawsuit because the court found that the Academy “willfully failed to warn or guard against a dangerous condition.”
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. -- Edward Abbey
KwaiChang
Triplogs Last: 2,268 days ago | RS: 0
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: never
City, State: Bradenton, FL

Re: Decalibron Loop

Post by KwaiChang »

@DixieFlyer
WOW.....talk about a rock and a hard place!! Amazing to own that land tho....
Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.....
no avatar
DixieFlyer
Guides: 60 | Official Routes: 54
Triplogs Last: today | RS: 5
Water Reports 1Y: 27 | Last: 4 days ago
City, State: Fountain Hills, AZ

Post by DixieFlyer »

I saw this post on farcebook:
I just got off the phone with John Reiber, the owner of the private lands on the Decalibron Loop. Thanks to assistance from Colorado Fourteeners Initiative and Colorado Mountain Club in developing and posting legal warning signage, the loop is officially OPEN!
Remember that the loop only includes the Bross bypass; access to the summit of Bross remains closed. Please do your part to keep access open, including staying on the trail, using Leave No Trace principles, not disturbing legacy mine structures and generally acting respectfully towards this private land. Our ability to go there is a privilege, not a right.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. -- Edward Abbey
sneakySASQUATCH
Guides: 4 | Official Routes: 6
Triplogs Last: 63 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 798 days ago
City, State: Pike National Forest, Co

Post by sneakySASQUATCH »

Was going to do the loop with the kids this week, but the smoke and air quality is so bad it made my decision to not support Alma in any way much easier.
:o
sneakySASQUATCH
Guides: 4 | Official Routes: 6
Triplogs Last: 63 days ago | RS: 2
Water Reports 1Y: 0 | Last: 798 days ago
City, State: Pike National Forest, Co

Post by sneakySASQUATCH »

Catamount Falls trail is closed until further notice thanks to property dispute. Horse Thief falls trail had a similar issue, but apparently the owner is backing off for now as he tries to get a land swap. Hopefully they will reroute and not cow tow to these people or maybe someone will get injured and sue the pants off them. Horsethief falls trail has been around since the 1800’s. Catamount built 20+ years ago. It is interesting that all of a sudden people are having all these property disputes. I guess the liability issue after the recent Air Force trail thing has got people nervous, although the horsethief falls dude seems to want a land swap and this issue has come to a head after two years of the forest service not giving him what he wants so he can build a cabin. Not that we are hiking anytime soon thanks to the air quality being so bad we can barely see the mountains across the pass oddly enough from California not Colorado fires.
:o

Return to “Trail Chat”