Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
ROGER
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Supes vs Sedona

Post by ROGER » Nov 21 2003 10:31 am

As a kid I spent a lot of time in the Sedona/Oak Creek area (we had a cabin in the canyon).
A few weeks ago I was hiking siphon draw (my first taste of the Supes).

So a few questions popped into mind:

Does either area "speak to you" ??

Do you feel spiritual in one over the other??

And - If you could take ONE hike in one of the areas, would it be the Supes or Sedona?

Just a few thoughts about two very unique and beautiful areas.

Roger

olesma
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by olesma » Nov 21 2003 10:44 am

So - essentially you're asking me if I would rather have $1,000,000.00 or $1,000,000.01.

Hmmmm.....

Each place has it's charms and beauty - both are quite different in many respects. I'd pick the Sups just cause they're closer, but that is really the only reason.
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Nov 21 2003 8:36 pm

Sedona is pretty "trendy" so I vote for the Sup's.

MtnGeek
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by MtnGeek » Nov 21 2003 9:28 pm

Sedona is quite busy, but has always been one of my favorite spots in Arizona. I love the red rock country. I am fairly new to the Supes, only have hiked in them twice. It's a very unique type of beauty. Very brown, but many different shades of brown, and the rock formations are like none other. I'd have to say Sedona, but I still love the Supes.
Mountains are there to be hiked!

no avatar
ROGER

Post by ROGER » Nov 21 2003 9:39 pm

In response to Steven's reply:

Hey Steven, I know you hail from Flagstaff, how would you rate the hikes aroung Flag vs. Sedona

Greg Jackson
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Greg Jackson » Nov 21 2003 10:24 pm

Try Revis Ranch in the Superstitions.

Not many shades of brown... Lots of different greens and if you are lucky, some of apple red!
Dog is my co-pilot.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Nov 22 2003 9:26 am

Sedona is pure beauty I love it :)
After awhile you may take it for granted, as there are many similarities in the different areas. In addition you can find similar powerful examples in Utah, though not with the perfect crimson cream combo.

The Superstitions are mysterious in formation with powerful points of interest. The abundance of points of interest along with location makes it my choice :)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

pfredricks
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Re: Supes vs Sedona

Post by pfredricks » Nov 22 2003 9:28 am

ROGER wrote:Does either area "speak to you" ??

Do you feel spiritual in one over the other??

Roger
Arizonaheat needs to respond to this one I think!!!!
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

MtnGeek
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by MtnGeek » Nov 22 2003 1:53 pm

ROGER wrote: Hey Steven, I know you hail from Flagstaff, how would you rate the hikes aroung Flag vs. Sedona
Sedona has alot more hiking than Flagstaff. In Flag its mainly the trails up the sparatic mountians in the area. The plus side of Flag is there is no Red Rock Pass or anything like it. If you use some imagination you could get in some really good hikes around flag off trail.
I personally have always looked foward to getting to Sedona (and still do) to get some really good hiking in.
Mountains are there to be hiked!

montezumawell
City, State: Montezumawell, AZ

proximity

Post by montezumawell » Nov 22 2003 7:51 pm

We wish we lived closer to the Supes. Oh, how we wish!
As chance would have it, we live 30-40 minutes from a large number of TH's in the Sedona area. Naturally, due primarily to proximity, we'd have to say "Sedona." We feel certain that is we lived in AJ or East Mesa, we'd say, Supes. It would be interesting to hear the opinion(s) of someone who lived in or near Payson and who might be roughly equidistant from both the SUpes and Sedona as well as having all those great Payson area hikes nearby. We'd guess they'd probably say, "Payson," once again due to proximity. Afterall, when you wanna go for a multi-hour day hike, why woud you want to drive upmteen hours RT when you have great hikes in your backyard?

As far as having a place "speak" to us, that's a wide open topic. Let's just say, everywhere speaks with its own unique voice and that the "power of place" communicates in myriad ways.

J&S

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Nov 22 2003 8:32 pm

Due to my proximity to the Supes, I've hiked more there than anywhere else but my preference is definitely Sedona. They each undeniably have their own unique beauty but there is an aura about Sedona that just intrigues me and I just don't feel the same way in the Superstitions.

Personally, I don't care about the 2 hour drive from my house to Sedona. When I drive up the road and see those magnificant red rocks......I'm just in total awe.

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Nov 23 2003 7:56 pm

Both are nice but there are too many people for me. I prefer a distant trailhead, difficult to get to, with just myself or a friend or two. An exception is Coyote Gulch in Utah. Even in popular places in utah you can have solitude in high season. I was backpacking in Grand Gulch for four days and did not see another hiker. It is nice here that you can get "out" relatively quickly to lots of wonderful places.

Lizard

Post by Lizard » Nov 24 2003 8:15 am

RedRoxx44 wrote:Both are nice but there are too many people for me. I prefer a distant trailhead, difficult to get to, with just myself or a friend or two.
Fully agreed!
"Of course we weren't lost. We were merely where we shouldn't have been, without knowing exactly where that was."

Return to “Trail Chat”