West Clear Creek - Devestated by flooding?

Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • West Clear Creek Trail #17, AZ
Linked Areas none
Thom
City, State: Mesa, AZ

West Clear Creek - Devestated by flooding?

Post by Thom » Apr 25 2005 11:06 am

Hey all,

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking West Clear Creek is one heck of a fun & relaxing spot to hike/camp. I've heard from a friend, though, that the creek along the lower half of the 17 trail was absolutely devestated by all the rain we got this winter. Nothing but rocks, rocks, rocks, everywhere.

It's heartbreaking to hear as this is one of my favorite spots. I was wondering if anyone from the HAZ forums here have hiked WCC this spring, what exactly happened, and possibly, if anyone has "After" pictures. Thanks in advance.

Thom
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Thom » Jul 20 2006 5:26 pm

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I wanted to renew my question. Anyone been through the lower parts of WCC lately? Any soft beach areas left?

wetbeaverlover
City, State: Rimrock Az

Post by wetbeaverlover » Jul 21 2006 10:30 am

I wouldnt lose any sleep over west clear creek being "devastated" by flooding. It was created by millions and millions of years of floods. Beaches change after every flood. If your favorite beach has been carried away, rest assured that it has been redeposited downstream.There will always be a endless supply of sand to restock the beach. Just look for the bends in the creek, chances are, you will find another cool beach :)
Dan

Return to “Trail Chat”