Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Nay_Nay
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Hiking With Kids

Post by Nay_Nay » Jun 30 2005 11:57 am

:?: I would like to take my grandchildren hiking this weekend. They are 3 and 4 years old. Does anybody have any ideas???

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Jun 30 2005 12:46 pm

See Canyon near/at Christopher Creek. Short/shaded/water....for a hike with youngsters, that's the trifecta! You can hike as little as +/- 1/8mi. to reach the creek, and then the trail parallels and/or crosses the creek formed by See Spring. There are also casual trails, here-and-there, that off-shoot from the "real" trail that make for good "adventures" for young ones.
( Due to the fire(s), you likely should check with the USFS to be certain that there is access)

Kurt
kurt

Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Jun 30 2005 2:46 pm

When you're up Prescott way sometime with the grand kids, Lynx Lake Trail is nice for youngsters. And for a little more of a challenge there's the Lynx Creek Ruin Trail.
"Solitude is as needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character." James Russell Lowell

Nay_Nay
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by Nay_Nay » Jun 30 2005 8:54 pm

Thanks guys! :) I will definately try both of those trails sometime, but this weekend I'm looking for something around town. Any more ideas???

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Jun 30 2005 11:59 pm

you could try an urban mountain such as camelback or south mountain. it might also be fun to go for a "hike" at the arboritum in phoenix. lot's of stuff to see and learn about. if all else fails a short jaunt in the supes (especially at the ldsp) might be fun.
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by Trishness » Jul 01 2005 6:12 pm

Two other trails to consider would be Waterfall Trail at White Tanks...I thinks it's 2 miles RT. Hieroglyphic Canyon out in the Supes is kind of nice too but a little longer. The kids would love the petroglyph wall at the end of this trail!
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

Return to “Trail Chat”