Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Gila Wilderness IS OPEN !

Post by hikeaz » May 30 2002 6:49 am

I spent Memorial W/E hiking the Gila Wilderness (NM). Yes, it's a bit far (4.5 hr.); but it is beautiful, and, best of all, OPEN.
They do have a "no fire" rule in effect, but no other restrictions; and no Red Rock Pass.
There are hikes of all types, and hot springs abound. Elevations range from about 4000' to over 10K'. There is water in most of the streams and springs. (obviously check w/the ranger district prior)

Pellegrino
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Pellegrino » May 30 2002 7:50 am

Thanks for the heads up. Here's some info on the area I found this a.m.
http://www.onroute.com/feature/gila/

It sounds like a great place. I don't mind driving and haven't explored that part of New Mexico and if its 75mph all the way there it wouldn't be that bad. The hot springs hikes sound especially fun. Which trails did you take?

Kelly

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » May 30 2002 8:22 am

From the west side, I hiked "Mineral Canyon", which starts from a Forest Road (# ?) just North of Glenwood, NM. It's a shady, history- filled hike along a sometimes running, sometimes dry stream.
re. the history... the were quite a few mines along this canyon in the late 19th, and early 20th century (thus the name). There are quite a few remanants, foundations & other "stuff" to explore. There are good sites for backpacking camps all along the way.
There are other hikes further "up the hill" on Bursum Rd.(sp.) - you can drive up to 10,000 ', or hike any of the trails along the way. Try hiking along Whitewater trail", maybe.
Also spent some time on the south side of the Gila Wilderness, north of Silver City. The Middle Fork trail, which starts from the Gila Cliff Dwellings Nat'l Monument, is another hke along a flowing stream, with hot springs @ 1/2 mile & +/- 7 miles out. Again, nice backcountry camping areas abound. Order the Gila Wilderness map from the USFS ($7.00, I believe)- the way that the canyons/trails lie, there are almost endless, wonderful loop and shuttle hiking possibilities.
Also, there are numerous outfitters that will supply you along, say, a week-long backpack trip - they are very reasonable.

Randy
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Heeela

Post by Randy » May 30 2002 10:01 am

The Gila is one of my favorite places....

The Glenwood Ranger Station phone is 505-539-2481. They report it is dry (of course) up high and recommend the trails along the streams (at 8k) rather than the ridgeline trails at 10k cause the up high springs are very dry right now. If a shuttle can be arranged, one can walk from Snow Lake at Bursum road to the Gila NM along one of the Gila River forks for about 45 miles and never be more than 1/4 mile from water. Take a filter, lotsa elk....

Sorry Azscrapper, not much 75mph at least legally. The Bursom Road is north of Glenwood through the ghost town of Mogollon. You can either drive to Safford and then north on 191 and east on 78 to Mule Creek and Glenwood, or take I-10 to Lordsburg and go north....this is the round about way....

If anyone is really hot on this one, PM me, I have at least two copies of the map and a rather exhaustive guide book, as well as recollections of at least five multi-day hikes there. -R

Snick33

Pinos Altos

Post by Snick33 » May 30 2002 11:18 am

Just Northwest of Silver City is the little community of Pinos Altos. There is an old opera house that has been converted into a bar / restaurant. the food is outstanding, if the place was in Phoenix it would rated 4*. Entrees are in the $12 - $18 dollar range but it is well worth it.

Leave it to me to not know crap about a wilderness area but to be well informed on the local restaurants. :)
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

Randy

Pinos Altos

Post by Randy » May 30 2002 3:50 pm

You are right Snick, Been There, Ate That.....(come to think of it, they could put that on my tombstone) much better than the "Ponderosa" steakhouse in Silver City. My steak there was either "Mr. Ed" or came in last in the fourth race at Hialeah the week before....-R

Mike

Re: Pinos Altos

Post by Mike » May 30 2002 4:04 pm

Randy wrote:You are right Snick, Been There, Ate That...
How does it rate compared to say, the Manzanita in Cornville?

Randy

Restaurant ratings

Post by Randy » May 30 2002 10:53 pm

Not as good as Manzanita, but the drive there is more scenic. Further on to the Monument is great too, you keep wondering, "are you sure this isn't Colorado?" especially as the "Gila and Salt River base line and meridian (Baseline Road alignment to the cartographically challenged) runs dead center thru the area. -Randy

no avatar
Peter Kosednar

Post by Peter Kosednar » Jun 12 2002 2:37 pm

Delete Post
Last edited by Peter Kosednar on Oct 10 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaryPhyl
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by MaryPhyl » Jun 12 2002 4:26 pm

Hey--we are a community of hikers and we are interested in anything our fellow hikers have to say or want to share. Nothing annoys me more than someone coming onto a board and telling the folks that live there what to say or how to run things. Say something positive--start a thread about what you do want to talk about. You are free to ignore that which does not interest you.

no avatar
Peter Kosednar

Post by Peter Kosednar » Jun 12 2002 7:14 pm

Delete Post
Last edited by Peter Kosednar on Oct 10 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoyNhisDog
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Pinos Altos

Post by BoyNhisDog » Jun 12 2002 7:46 pm

Snick33 wrote:Just Northwest of Silver City is the little community of Pinos Altos. There is an old opera house that has been converted into a bar / restaurant. the food is outstanding, if the place was in Phoenix it would rated 4*. Entrees are in the $12 - $18 dollar range but it is well worth it.
All I know is I love the Gila but I can't stop thinking about this restaurant that Snick has recomended. I love little out of the way places like these. About 17 years ago down outside of Bisbee there was a similar type place called the Outback. The prices were about the same which is to say they were pretty expensive back then. It was one of the great meals of my life. Now it is no more. There is nothing like roughing it for four or five days and then hitting a five or six course meal on the way home. :)
Glen

Randy

Eats

Post by Randy » Jun 13 2002 11:43 pm

Glen, I remember the Outback as well. Too bad. I think "The Court House" is still open in Bisbee and the Chinese Place next to the Stock Exchange Bar used to be pretty good. Just between us, the chef they have now at Rio Rico is outstanding. Warren used to teach at Scottsdale Culinary Institute and had a haute cuisie place in downtown Phoenix as well. Have a dessert at Buddy's on Swan for me... :idea: .Can't hike, might as well eat while we wait...-R

Return to “Trail Chat”