Fall Colours 2007

Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
Randal_Schulhauser
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Fall Colours 2007

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Sep 28 2007 5:43 pm

Anyone know the status of autumn leaves at Inner Basin (near Flagstaff) or Escudilla Mountain (near Springerville)? There hasn't been any recent hike postings or photos from these trails. General literature suggests fall colours are at their height last week of September, first week of October...

RANDAL

no avatar
ECEGatorTuro
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Re: Fall Colours 2007

Post by ECEGatorTuro » Oct 07 2007 5:27 pm

Did a hike out to the Inner Basin on Saturday (10/06/2007) and I was somewhat disappointed. Lockett Meddow had plenty of aspens that had turned yellow already and it was absolutely beautiful. However, after hiking up to the Inner Basin, most of the trees had lost their leaves due to the high winds the previous day. :( I was really hoping to see the whole basin colored in yellow on my first trip up this trail but I guess I'll have to wait for next year. Just wanted to let others know that most of the trees in the Inner Basin are stripped bare.

Next stop for me is the West Fork in Oak Creek. Anyone know around what time the trees in Oak Creek start to change?

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Oct 07 2007 5:35 pm

Keep in mind it's over a 1,000 foot elevation change.
However if you really want people to know then post a trip log,
ten times more will see it.

Lower West Fork is another couple weeks.
Though the entire canyon won't be in prime.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Oct 08 2007 4:17 am

Did only about 1/3 of Escudilla Trail yesterday as my friend was not up to it. We missed the peak of the aspens by a few days, I think, although lower down they haven't turned yet. It was still very pretty, with lots of yellow. Crowded, too. I am not used to seeing 10 or 15 cars at any trailhead I hike around here. I'm used to seeing NO cars! (Grumble grumble!)

Up Big Lake Highway 261 they are just starting to turn. Last week the views of Escudilla's north slope were very yellow--you can see a view of this slope from many areas near Springerville. Now the upper reaches of the peak are no longer yellow.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

no avatar
Ace4
City, State: Broomfield, CO

Post by Ace4 » Oct 08 2007 8:44 am

Escudilla trail was beautiful on Saturday, but rather crowded. Extremely windy, the leaves were dropping fast in the wind. The wind was insane at the summit, I didn't want to risk getting my camera out up on the fire tower. The wind ripping through the pillars of the tower sounded like a jet engine. A lot of color was also visible driving along 260 near Sunrise on Sunday.

Randal_Schulhauser

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Oct 08 2007 10:35 am

I was on Hart Prairie yesterday and it was a mixed bag. Some trees are still green, some trees completely bare, others at various stages of autumn glory…

Absolutely perfect weather yesterday with clear skies, a chill in the air, but NO WIND!

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=952&EXT=T#15069

ChefTIO
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by ChefTIO » Oct 08 2007 2:16 pm

Randal Schulhauser wrote:I was on Hart Prairie yesterday and it was a mixed bag. Some trees are still green, some trees completely bare, others at various stages of autumn glory…

Absolutely perfect weather yesterday with clear skies, a chill in the air, but NO WIND!
Second guessed Hart Prairie. Decided to stay in the valley instead....
"The grand show is eternal. It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never dried all at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor is ever rising." ~ Mr. John Muir

no avatar
ECEGatorTuro
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ECEGatorTuro » Oct 19 2007 5:39 pm

Anyone been down in the West Fork yet? Just wanted to know if the colors started changing yet and if they will be in full swing by next weekend...

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 19 2007 8:08 pm

If you go next weekend there might be some color left in the warmer pockets. Right now it's in prime :)
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Randal_Schulhauser

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Oct 30 2007 10:04 pm

With November upon us, are there any hold out areas with prime autumn colours?

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Oct 30 2007 10:20 pm

Ash Creek in the Galiuros. I was a bit early this past weekend. I'm about to post pics.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Randal_Schulhauser

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Oct 30 2007 10:30 pm

I've had Bassett Peak/Ash Creek on my "to do" list for some time. How long does it take to get to the trail head from the Phoenix area? Logistically it looks like an over night camp adventure...

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 30 2007 10:32 pm

4:45 from Ahwatukee
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Oct 31 2007 7:32 am

Randal Schulhauser wrote:I've had Bassett Peak/Ash Creek on my "to do" list for some time. How long does it take to get to the trail head from the Phoenix area? Logistically it looks like an over night camp adventure...
It does take a few hours to get there. This time I took the I-10 and got off on exit 340/Circle Rd. This turns into Fort Grant Rd which you follow to the Eurofresh greenhouses. There you will turn left on FR651 and follow it to FR660. This knocked a ton of mileage off. There are a few great campsites along the road to the trailhead. None of them were occupied last weekend, except for the one I took.
If you go this weekend or even next weekend the colors should be out of control! My pics are all closely cropped because the colors just weren't there. It didn't allow for sweeping panoramas. Have fun!
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 31 2007 4:49 pm

Hoffmaster wrote:I took the I-10 and got off on exit 340/Circle Rd. This turns into Fort Grant Rd which you follow to the Eurofresh greenhouses. There you will turn left on FR651 and follow it to FR660. This knocked a ton of mileage off
Sweet! I forgot about that pointless stop in Wilcox, Kansas or whatever it was...ugh
thx!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Randal_Schulhauser

Post by Randal_Schulhauser » Oct 31 2007 5:22 pm

Hoffmaster wrote:
Randal Schulhauser wrote:I've had Bassett Peak/Ash Creek on my "to do" list for some time. How long does it take to get to the trail head from the Phoenix area? Logistically it looks like an over night camp adventure...
It does take a few hours to get there. This time I took the I-10 and got off on exit 340/Circle Rd. This turns into Fort Grant Rd which you follow to the Eurofresh greenhouses. There you will turn left on FR651 and follow it to FR660. This knocked a ton of mileage off. There are a few great campsites along the road to the trailhead. None of them were occupied last weekend, except for the one I took.
If you go this weekend or even next weekend the colors should be out of control! My pics are all closely cropped because the colors just weren't there. It didn't allow for sweeping panoramas. Have fun!

If I can overcome a couple of work logistics, I should be able to take Friday 11/9 as a vacation day allowing for a Friday "over-nighter". Let's hope those colours are "out of control"...

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Nov 01 2007 6:05 pm

I'll be back out there this weekend hoping for peak at the Aspens. It'll still be another weekend the lower canyon I'll bet. Just remember signage for the FS roads is pretty poor out there, have a good map and follow it closely. A downed tree has blocked the wash but the final approach to the limited parking is not as tough as it used to be. Plan on some pinstriping if you drive to the end tho---

Hoffmaster

Post by Hoffmaster » Nov 01 2007 9:14 pm

Joe, Randal, Letty and anyone else headed to Ash Creek this weekend! Please keep this in mind!

http://www.hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtop ... =51&t=3028

Thanks a bunch! :D

Return to “Trail Chat”