Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
base871
City, State: Tempe

Fossil Springs

Post by base871 » Jul 11 2008 4:46 pm

I was going to take my mom on a day hike there on sat(July 12th). i havnt been this year yet, has anyone seen the water? just wondering if the recent rains have dirtied it up. kinda hoping for her to see it in its "blue" state! thanks!
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Fossil Springs

Post by hikeaz » Jul 11 2008 5:12 pm

The spring water comes to the surface about 1/2 mile (or less) above the dam - I doubt that 1/2 mile would be muddy long. I presume that you had intended to hike in to the springs from the upper T/H, not view the creek from the Irving power plant area?
kurt

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Jul 11 2008 5:57 pm

We have had two heavy rain storms in Payson in the past two days (10 and 11) I have measured 1.75 inches in my rain gauge. I don't know how the road will be down to fossil springs. And many dirt roads in the rim area could be quite muddy too. Just a heads up....
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

base871

Post by base871 » Jul 11 2008 6:32 pm

thanks. we actually were going to the springs. the reason i asked was when i was there in 2006 it was 2 days after 7 people were helcoptered out, and the dry creek bed you see when you first get to the bottom was running, but slowly. so that , in turn, muddies up the water downstream. did find a couple high dollar tents and sleeping bags tho they were in bad shape. rangers were down there picking up the mess. just dont want to go all that way for nothing.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

base871

Post by base871 » Jul 12 2008 5:09 pm

well the waters clear! roads were good going in. very disappointed though, too much drinking at the dam for me, load music coming from the cars next to the dam(yes, 1 car and 2 trucks) guess people are just driving up now. way too many yahoos. i think a midweek trip is gonna be the new thing. lots of trash too. sad, the first time i ever went there i was amazed at how natural and pristine it was.

JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Jul 14 2008 5:39 pm

I went to Canyon Creek on Saturday... When I got there early afternoon the water was beautiful and clear. By the time I was heading out around 5 pm after some heavy rain, the water was muddy and pretty gross looking. I was bummed, as I was hoping to use the lower sun for some pictures, but nothing could turn out that great with he murky water.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Return to “Trail Chat”