Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
no avatar
porch13
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Rogers Trough Trailhead

Post by porch13 » Feb 06 2009 7:07 pm

Has anyone been up to the Rogers Trough Trailhead lately? We're looking at heading up there in a week or so and I'm wondering about the condition of the road. I have a truck with a lot of ground clearance, but it's only a two-wheel drive. Everything that I read points to the last few miles of the road being a bit tricky. Thanks in advance for any info!

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Re: Rogers Trough Trailhead

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Feb 06 2009 8:13 pm

I haven't been up the road for a long time but I can tell you that if your driving a rear wheel drive truck you might want to put some weight in the back to add traction for the last hard pull after that last very very sharp curve. There are some pictures posted of that curve and hill if you study the photosets.

Be sure to give us an update of the conditions of the road after you do this trip as a number of us will be going up there for the Catclaw Revenge project in March.
:thanx:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

djui5
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by djui5 » Feb 06 2009 8:38 pm

I was up that way a month or 2 ago and it wasn't bad really. You should be fine. You'll have to make a 3 or 8 point turn at the sharp curve superstitionguy is talking about :)

no avatar
porch13
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by porch13 » Feb 07 2009 9:52 am

Thank you for the feedback! I'll post conditions as soon as I get back.

rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by rushthezeppelin » Feb 08 2009 3:53 pm

Damn I was about to say you might need 4wd if the road is wet....which more than likely it is after last night. You might be able to pull it off but a couple of spots will be tough.....hopefully you post back with success.

djui5

Post by djui5 » Feb 09 2009 9:50 pm

Yeah I agree, with the rain it could be tough in a 2wd, specially if the washes are running.

SuperstitionGuy
City, State: Queen Creek, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Feb 10 2009 8:43 am

With the rain and snow that your currently having in the greater Phoenix area it is probably best to avoid forest Road 172 and especially 172A until the weather clears and the road has a chance to dry out some. Driving it now would really mess it up and subject you to possibly getting stuck up there for a few days before you could get out across Queen Creek wash.
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

no avatar
zlaprade
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by zlaprade » Feb 12 2009 11:47 am

Any updates to this discussion? We are headed to Woodbury Trailhead this weekend. Overnigher to Reavis etc. through Rodgers Canyon. As far as getting to the trailhead, I know that Woodbury branches left before 172A, but it still may be nasty. Driving a 4Runner with 4X4 that has been through some heavy stuff.

rushthezeppelin

Post by rushthezeppelin » Feb 12 2009 1:17 pm

You should be fine with a 4wd.

djui5

Post by djui5 » Feb 12 2009 4:30 pm

Getting to Woodbury is supposedly harder than Rogers, but I've never driven that route, always went to Rogers or past.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Feb 12 2009 5:20 pm

djui5 wrote:Getting to Woodbury is supposedly harder than Rogers
Just to clarify djui5, someone gave you bad advice here. From the FR172 intersection at FR172B (left turn to Woodbury TH) / 172A(right turn to Rogers Trough TH) there is no road comparison. The right turn to Rogers Trough TH is much more demanding as stated in the driving directions for all Rogers Trough TH hikes. I am usually driving in this area around both THs at least once every 3-4 months and was last there this past New Years' week to confirm.

Either TH is doable in a 4WD 4Runner. Depending on the amount of rain and water runoff now and forecasted, I would be more concerned about the water flow rate/height of the Queen Creek crossing on FR172(right after turning off of Hewitt Station RD-FR357) and concerned about the amount of blood loss I would incur hiking to Angel Basin from the Woodbury TH due to all the present catclaw and scrub oak trail overgrowth on the JF Trail and Rogers Canyon Trail.
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

djui5

Post by djui5 » Feb 12 2009 6:45 pm

Thanks for clearing that up!

no avatar
zlaprade

Post by zlaprade » Feb 13 2009 3:58 pm

Grasshopper, how much of your comment in exaggeration? Any info can help.

no avatar
zlaprade

Post by zlaprade » Feb 13 2009 4:09 pm

In response to Grasshopper:
Grasshopper, did you see my Feb 13, 2009 3:58 posting?

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Feb 15 2009 5:25 pm

I would guess that he didn't. I personally know Grasshopper and I can tell you that he doesn't exaggerate. And having been on those roads myself, numerous times, I can vouch for everything he said.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

djui5

Post by djui5 » Feb 19 2009 5:42 pm

Just went over Montana Mountain again last Sunday. Road was the same as it was before. I broke something on my heep too and had to do a lot of it in 2wd :sl: There was quite a bit of water up there which was nice, and snow all over Montana Mountain. A guy in a stock new Wrangler 4dr followed me and had no problems at all.

rushthezeppelin

Post by rushthezeppelin » Feb 20 2009 3:00 pm

He is not exagerating by any means. There's a reason we've scheduled a cleanup of that section of trail. And the road as well can be very bad. It's seems to be hit or miss whether queen creek is flowing but I've heard you don't want to mess with it if it is. I've heard of people getting trapped behind it for a day or more and having to extend their camping plans a bit. It seems hard to predict whether it will flow too because I've only seen it dry as a bone whereas every other creek in the area had very good flow but it certainly can turn into a torrent.

sirena
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by sirena » Mar 09 2009 6:02 pm

I was on the road to Roger's Trough last week and there was a crew working with a backhoe that had filled in a lot of the washouts.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

DBmooner
City, State: chandler, Az

Post by DBmooner » Feb 13 2012 8:27 pm

Has anyone one been up 172A to rogers trough lately was going to go up there this weekend i heard they did work out there recently would a car be abel to make it or is it still HC only?

allanalxndr
City, State: Phx, AZ

Post by allanalxndr » Feb 13 2012 10:32 pm

DBmooner wrote:Has anyone one been up 172A to rogers trough lately was going to go up there this weekend i heard they did work out there recently would a car be abel to make it or is it still HC only?
I was up there yesterday. The road is nice but still rough in some areas. I personally would NOT be comfortable taking a passenger car up there.

Return to “Trail Chat”