Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
no avatar
Kathy Taylor
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Canyon de Chelly

Post by Kathy Taylor » Jul 02 2002 10:56 am

Has anyone hiked in Canyon de Chelly this time of year? If so, do you have any recommendations? Also, is there a possibility that it could be closed? I don't think it's part of the forest. Thanks!

olesma
Grand Canyon Warbler
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by olesma » Jul 02 2002 1:02 pm

It is a well developed national park - so it is still open. National forrests (which are less developed - and don't take in revenue) are the items being closed.

Hiking there is hot this time of year. It's a very dry and arid area, but if you get out early enough (or late enough as the case may be) then you get a littl shade from the canyon walls. However, if I'm not mistaken, you have to have a permit to hike along the bottom of the canyon. I just did some hiking around the top.
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein

hikeaz
Socialpelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Canyon de Chelly

Post by hikeaz » Jul 02 2002 1:33 pm

Other than the trail into Whitehouse ruin, you will need to be accompanied by a guide to enter the Canyon.
If you have a 4x4, you can P/U a guide at the visitors' center.
I believe that they charge 8.00, or 10.00 per hour.
You, then, DRIVE into the Canyon & can access the ruins and pictographs, etc. Plan at least a whole day for this.

You can arrange, as well, to camp in the Canyon, and do some of the old hand/toe hold routes up the walls. Guide cost is predicated on time spent exploring, there's no add'l charge while in camp.
Kurt

MaryPhyl
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by MaryPhyl » Jul 02 2002 2:45 pm

If you dig a hole in the sand there and wait it will fill up with water. Sometimes you have to be patient.

no avatar
Kathy Taylor
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Post by Kathy Taylor » Jul 09 2002 11:48 am

Many thanks to all of you who replied! We did not make it to Canyon de Chelly (turned out it was a little too far to drive from Pinetop) but will go when the weather cools down. Did get to see lots of sad fire destruction and talk to the locals about their adventures in evacuating.

I really enjoy this site and hope to participate in lots more forum topics. Hike on! :D

Return to “Trail Chat”