Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Superstition Ridgeline, AZ
Linked Areas none
tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Superstition Ridgeline's Easiest Route

Post by tibber » Mar 09 2009 7:20 pm

Say an almost real hiker wanted to get up on some portion of that spectacular ridgeline of the Supes... I've read about the various routes available but what would you say is the easiest route? I understand there reallly isn't an EASY route :sweat: but one that would be the least challenging for a weekend hiker.

It looks like there are 3 or 4 choices. Snakemarks and I have discussed the possiblity of getting up there other than via Siphon Draw. She's been to the Flat Iron, I haven't. So I think she'd like to do a different route; IF I can persuade her to be my partner in crime; ;) providing it's even doable or I'm just dreaming I could do it, ha! However, if the Siphon Draw is the best, I'll defer to the experts. (I've been to the top of the Draw 3 times just before you go down and back up again).
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

azdesertfather
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Re: Superstition Ridgeline's Easiest Route

Post by azdesertfather » Mar 09 2009 8:36 pm

My two cents, I don't think there is a route that's noticeably easier. The real bear (I think) isn't the initial ascent up to the ridgeline, but the constant up and downs along the ridgeline...a few hours of that and you're saying to yourself, "OH, $^($!#)^($^($!!! :o Not another down and up!"
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

nonot

Post by nonot » Mar 09 2009 8:37 pm

I've never done it via Hiero going up. Carney going down isn't too bad IMO.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

wallyfrack
City, State: AZ

Post by wallyfrack » Mar 09 2009 8:54 pm

I would say Siphon Draw is the quickest way up, on Hiero it can be easy to lose the trail and there is some loose scree up top and Carney is fairly easy to follow but there is one section with a few stray cairns and while it goes up in stages it seems to take a long time.

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Mar 09 2009 8:56 pm

dshillis wrote:The real bear (I think) isn't the initial ascent up to the ridgeline, but the constant up and downs along the ridgeline...a few hours of that and you're saying to yourself, "OH, $^($!#)^($^($!!! Not another down and up!"
It's been a few years since I've been up there, but I don't remember it being like that. I thought it was a rather flat, easy and pleasant stroll across the top. Obviously there's a few ups and downs, but not constantly.

Tibber, it's just a big hill, like Camelback or the McDowells. Go up from Carney Springs. Take it slow and you'll be on top in no time. Have fun and take some great pics!
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Mar 09 2009 9:17 pm

wallyfarak wrote:I would say Siphon Draw is the quickest way up, on Hiero it can be easy to lose the trail and there is some loose scree up top and Carney is fairly easy to follow but there is one section with a few stray cairns and while it goes up in stages it seems to take a long time.
I agree 100%, of course I've been preaching it forever. If you're a moderate strong hiker neither way is really of concern. However it's truly never ending via Carney for the less experienced. It's false hopes after false hopes, then you have to deal with rounding the sw peak. By the time you're actually on "the" ridge you just want to get off. Via Flatiron has more immediate rewards and lures you in.

The question is very "opinionated", this thread could blow out religion, politics, guns and hiking naked topics in one fell swoop... just go

Whatever you do go quick before the temps rise. 80 degrees up there and you'll feel pain in a whole new dimension :o
- joe

snakemarks
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by snakemarks » Mar 09 2009 10:36 pm

Wow. I really stepped in it this time. Looks like I got tibber all fired up with my big mouth. :doh:

So, Flatiron to Carney sounds like the ticket. You guys don't seem to have any trouble doing this in one day.
That's amazing, I think, and not possible for us. We're just girls, you know! :sl:

Seriously, some of you might try to imagine your moms up there for a little perspective on it! (I can't believe I said that.)

Has anyone done this as a two day backpack? Where's a good camp spot? When I was on the Flatiron, it was very windy, even though it wasn't in the valley. Is it always like that up there? Is a tent a ridiculous idea? (Don't answer that, te-wa!) ;)
I'm at home in the wilderness... it's civilization I have problems with! ](*,)

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Mar 10 2009 5:35 am

joe bartels wrote:If you're a moderate strong hiker neither way is really of concern. However it's truly never ending via Carney for the less experienced. It's false hopes after false hopes, then you have to deal with rounding the sw peak. By the time you're actually on "the" ridge you just want to get off. Via Flatiron has more immediate rewards and lures you in.
The more I think about it, the more I agree with Wally and Joe. My last is post is idiotic. Carney Springs is a great route to the top, but you won't be there "in no time." I don't know what I was thinking. :doh:
snakemarks wrote:Has anyone done this as a two day backpack?
I've always wanted to do that, but other more tempting hikes and backpacks kept pushing it aside. It's another world up there and spending a whole weekend would be awesome. I'm sure you can find a place to camp that is more comfortable than the Flatiron. I bet there are some gems hidden in the hoodoos.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Moodrets

Post by Moodrets » Mar 10 2009 6:31 am

Hmmm, well, neither route is particularly bad, so physically you should be fine for both of them.

However, given that it is winter and that we are N of the equator, the sun will (keep in mind, this is a rather simplistic representation) rise in the south east and set in the south west. If you travel from siphon draw to Carney, the entirety of your hike will be in the southeast direction. Therefore, if you intend to do this hike in the morning (rather than the afternoon), you'll always have the sun in your face.

Forgetting not that the ridgeline itself has virtually no shade whatsoever, you really will be facing the sun for 75% of your trip if you start early at siphon draw.

If that's fine by you, siphon draw in the morning would be my recommendation also. However, if that bothers you (and it usually bothers me), then it might be advisable to go the other way or begin your hike in the afternoon. Remember to account for temperature differences when making your decision, though! It's starting to warm up, don't forget to bring enough water...

I don't know of anyone who's done an overnight yoyo of it, but I did it both ways as a dayhike with a friend of mine back in January, and I know of a guy who did a dayhike yoyo of it a few years back with a somewhat larger group.

rushthezeppelin
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by rushthezeppelin » Mar 11 2009 4:10 am

I've only done it one way, but I really enjoyed doing it from Carney Spring to Siphon Draw. I think it's a bit faster this way as long as you have good knees. Going up Siphon Draw does slow me down and wear me out a bit. Coming down it however is a totally different story for me. When I did it, I made it from from Flatiron to the slickrock basin in about 45 minutes. Granted if you do Siphon Draw first it's more downhill from that point than coming from Carney. I guess they probably would be about equal as long as you took your lunch break after getting up to Flatiron so you can recoup a bit.

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Mar 19 2009 9:50 pm

One thing to remember is there are no water sources on the ridgeline unless it's actively raining. Take plenty of water. I'm sure you can find some nice places to camp along the route, I've never spent the night up there although the views should be outstanding.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

tibber

Post by tibber » Mar 20 2009 7:44 am

Thanks for all of your input. We're still pondering our plan of attack on this but we won't be doing anything until early in the Fall when the temps break. It could be just all talk for us but who knows if our actual ability can overtake our desire.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

Return to “Trail Chat”