Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
JoelHazelton
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

iHike, iPod, therefore iAm

Post by JoelHazelton » Aug 31 2009 3:59 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Of course, then there are those who insist on having music things in their ears. They deserve to get run over. ;)
Ooooh harsh... I always have music things in my ears. Then again, I mostly hike in wilderness areas where those pesky bike things aren't allowed ;)
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

Jim_H

Re: Right-of-Way between hikers?

Post by Jim_H » Aug 31 2009 8:20 pm

azpride wrote:
azbackpackr wrote:Of course, then there are those who insist on having music things in their ears. They deserve to get run over. ;)
Ooooh harsh... I always have music things in my ears. Then again, I mostly hike in wilderness areas where those pesky bike things aren't allowed ;)

That's funny. Yesterday I was out hiking and got behind a woman who had ipod things in her ears. I said excuse me a couple of times while she just slowly waddled along like she was ignoring me. Once I realized she had those things in and couldn't hear me I had to just wedge myself past her. When she finally saw me, she moved over. Some people might be in a big enough hurry and just push her aside.
Last edited by Jim_H on Aug 31 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

dysfunction
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by dysfunction » Aug 31 2009 8:23 pm

I put those music things in my ears cause it keeps people I don't want to talk to me from talking to me. I can hear my own footfalls easily enough with them in, they just don't know that :sl:

Ya gotta say something though coming up behind me on a bike, I've just enough hearing loss that your tire noise gets lost in mine.
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Aug 31 2009 8:41 pm

Re: you who enjoy hiking with those music things in your ears..

Do you ever worry about these kind-of surprises you won't hear until :o ?
http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=105093
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

fricknaley

Re: iHike, iPod, therefore iAm

Post by fricknaley » Aug 31 2009 8:58 pm

or worse yet...http://www.hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=66204

sorry, hank, i couldn't resist. :D
hi

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 31 2009 9:03 pm

Might need to take away "You talkin' to me Kokopelli" from Alex and give it to Jeff :o
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Aug 31 2009 9:05 pm

Snakes tend to be louder than my ipod; I speak from experience ;) One example was last spring, blasting rap in my ears while hiking up near Miner's summit on the Dutchman. Mr. Rattlesnake came through loud and clear.

I go on solo hikes generally twice a week, often times backpacking. They're not always long distance but always involve long spans of time sitting and pondering the scenery. I like to have some sort of company and it's usually a band I like. For me, nature is a time to connect with myself and try and make art, and music is the perfect companion.
Last edited by JoelHazelton on Aug 31 2009 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 31 2009 9:08 pm

On occasion I'll listen to music. However I need quite time too.

Bravo on the subject line Joel, nice job : app :
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Aug 31 2009 9:09 pm

Thanks, Joe, I'm a witty guy :D

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Aug 31 2009 9:11 pm

azpride wrote:For me, nature is a time to connect with myself and try and make art, and for me, music is the perfect companion.
Well, for you no one can dispute that it does work! ;)
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

fricknaley

Post by fricknaley » Aug 31 2009 9:17 pm

azpride wrote:For me, nature is a time to connect with myself and try and make art and music is the perfect companion.
well said.
hi

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Aug 31 2009 9:54 pm

jhodlof wrote:Some people might be in a big enough hurry and just push her aside.
I probably wouldn't actually do that, but I sure would be tempted.

rally_toad
City, State: Boulder City, NV

Post by rally_toad » Aug 31 2009 10:34 pm

In one way, I dont like the idea of hiking with an ipod, because then I would be cut off a little bit from nature and what I'm trying to experience.
But at the same time, I think music is a great way to get more in touch with your self, and so though I choose not to listen to the ipod, I dont want to bag on people who do.
"Who are you guys??!!" -Farnsworth

sirena

Post by sirena » Aug 31 2009 11:34 pm

I find that a lot of times when I hike without my Ipod, I get a piece of some horrible song stuck in my head, and it will loop over and over. I'd rather listen to actual music that I enjoy. I hike with one earbud in, so I can also hear what is happening around me. A good soundtrack can be a great motivator on the trail.
For me, nature is a time to connect with myself and try and make art, and music is the perfect companion.
As a fellow solo hiker, I totally understand what you mean.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."
-Edward Abbey
http://www.desertsirena.wordpress.com

fairweather8588
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by fairweather8588 » Aug 31 2009 11:49 pm

I'll listen to some tunes, but only on hikes that I've done multiple times (Piestewa, Gateway Loop etc) where im just out to stay in shape. Pretty much anywhere else I'll leave the music at home
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Sep 01 2009 3:24 am

I have never tried it, but I can see, especially on those busy trails where maybe you are trying to find solitude where there isn't actually any, it would make sense. Out in the actual wilderness, though, I can't see using one--you would miss a lot of natural sounds, I think. Right now the elk are starting to bugle. Would hate to miss hearing that!

I listen to music only in the car. I have this thing about wanting a quiet, peaceful house, but I love to blast rock n roll in the car! Since I don't drive much, it's a treat to get in the car and find some old favorite in the CD folder.

On a bike I think it would just be courting suicide, though, especially on the street.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Sep 01 2009 6:50 am

The heaviest 'wilderness' use mine see are backpacking. I'll listen for a bit in the tent while reading at night.. or sometimes just relaxing (especially solo). But they also rock when you're exiting the wilderness and start seeing throngs of people and the chatter starts to sound like locusts. But I have worn them on solo hikes with the volume real low. Can still hear everything, just have some minor distraction if I want it. I wear em that way road running too.. not trail running (I really dislike road running at heart). Don't wear em on a bike.
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

BobP

Post by BobP » Sep 01 2009 6:57 am

Because when I hike alone,I prefer to be by myself...I like to hike with tunes on exercise hikes when I'm training for something or on crowded trails. I also take my ipod on backpacking trips...mostly to wind down at night.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Sep 01 2009 7:14 am

If I were out in the middle of nowhere on a flat trail, maybe. I use it more in camp at night than along the climb...having anything in my ears upsets my balance.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Sep 01 2009 7:15 am

joe bartels wrote:Might need to take away "You talkin' to me Kokopelli" from Alex and give it to Jeff :o
Hey! I cut the beard off!! :sl:
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Return to “Trail Chat”