Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Four Peaks Mother Lode, AZ
Linked Areas none
PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

4 Peaks Mother Load - worth the time?

Post by PaleoRob » Aug 09 2010 7:55 pm

Okay, would it be worth my time to come down and do the Four Peaks Mother Load with someone? Looks pretty cool and intense, but I've never hiked anywhere in any of the mountains outside of Phoenix (except once around Piestewa Peak). Opinions?
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

juliachaos
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 4 Peaks Mother Load - worth the time?

Post by juliachaos » Aug 10 2010 12:15 am

Oh yeah for sure, I mean if you're into that sort of thing. ;) You could camp at one of the many campsites the night before and then get the "hike" in. Beware, however: your interest may rise quickly from "mildly curious" to "unhealthy obsession." It's quite the unusual challenge. :D

JimmyLyding
City, State: Walnut Creek, CA

Post by JimmyLyding » Aug 10 2010 12:38 am

Rob, let me know if you're up for this. This hike/climb has been on my list for a loooong time. However, I may be moving out-of-state very soon. I'll know more tomorrow.

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Post by Sredfield » Aug 10 2010 6:39 am

I've not done the hike, only looked at it as I passed by this spring. I remember thinking that those who tackle this are in need of some kind of therapy. :D
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

Moodrets

Post by Moodrets » Aug 10 2010 4:16 pm

I'd be up for it -- I tried it a few winters ago but was stopped by the snow and ice.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 10 2010 4:31 pm

PageRob wrote:would it be worth my time
Few things on the face of the earth are more worthy of your time. No other hike on site brings people to post such lengthy triplogs on average.

When are you contemplating an attempt? There aren't any trips logged for July/August yet and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for recommendations. I've never hiked with you, judging by your triplogs it looks like a huge step. You might consider a Brother Lode (peaks 1 & 2) before tackling the entire thing.

Anyone that wants to do this whenever, I'm only a PM away :D Bear in mind I have little respect for route finding :sl:
- joe

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Aug 10 2010 4:33 pm

joe bartels wrote: Bear in mind I have little respect for route finding
I can attest to that ;)
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Aug 10 2010 4:41 pm

joe bartels wrote:Bear in mind I have little respect for route finding
I am now nervous about moving to the Valley in January, given that at least one Mother Lode attempt is necessary while I'm down there.
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

juliachaos

Post by juliachaos » Aug 10 2010 5:00 pm

rlrjamy wrote:
joe bartels wrote: Bear in mind I have little respect for route finding
I can attest to that ;)
ME TOO! :o

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Aug 10 2010 5:17 pm

joe bartels wrote:
PageRob wrote:would it be worth my time
Few things on the face of the earth are more worthy of your time. No other hike on site brings people to post such lengthy triplogs on average.
I do hear it talked about quite often, so that is what originally got my attention. I just didn't know if it would be worth a four-five hour drive each way.
When are you contemplating an attempt? There aren't any trips logged for July/August yet and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for recommendations.
I might be crazy but I'm not that crazy!
I've never hiked with you, judging by your triplogs it looks like a huge step. You might consider a Brother Lode (peaks 1 & 2) before tackling the entire thing.
Having never hiked anywhere down there (except for, as I said, Piestewa Peak), it is hard for me to judge the difficulty. It is listed as a 5, and I understand it to be tough - but exactly how tough is that 5? Is it due to exposure? Is it due to being off-trail? Is it due to the elevation gain? 1900-odd feet (~4900 AEG) doesn't seem terrible. Is it any more difficult than a Rim-to-Rim hike (another thing I am planning on)? I am somewhat leery of doing something less to "test myself" due to the time it takes to get down and back?
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

juliachaos

Post by juliachaos » Aug 10 2010 5:32 pm

Route-finding, climbing skills, and exposure are what I would attribute the 5 rating to. There's a lot of danger involved, and you really have to be prepared for bad routes, backtracking, and maybe even a bit of hanging on for dear life while hoping that the boulder you're on doesn't give out. Definitely less of a hike and more of a climb. But other than that, it's a real blast! Read the triplogs and study the routes/maps provided. Nothing's a guarantee of a good route, but it can at least give you a good idea of what you're getting yourself into. Don't take any of it lightly; it's serious business. It's extremely rewarding, though, when you have completed it and can look up to those peaks and know you were up there and conquered them. At that point, it's almost like your adventure was a distant dream, and you start to plan for your next go round.. :D

I agree with Joe's statement. If you have the skills and are prepared for it, then it is very much worth the long drive down.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 10 2010 9:03 pm

The 5 rating will depend on your ability. The upper body aspect will be seriously fatiguing and compound if you're not swift in situations. Mind stress might be an issue too. For most that happens ascending. Although it's technically less physical stress doing a single, a MLDV might surprise you in how much less taxing it is on the mind.

Since there is little shade aside from the mountain itself, breezes and cloud cover make huge differences too.

Just beware that it's addictive. Once doesn't satisfy most. That feeling doesn't usually kick in until a day or two later after you've swore it off.
- joe

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Aug 11 2010 11:15 am

For me, the RTR was more of a hiking endurance thing. The Mother load exercised my route finding ability and stretched my comfort zone with exposures. It does give you the satisfaction of hitting peaks that many people see but where few have trod. I think it's worth doing but you should also plan to hit the other Four Peaks in Tempe afterward.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 11 2010 11:18 am

One of my favorite quotes...
2002-11-23 azhiker96 on Peak 7642 wrote:Some of the pitches were stimulating. This is not one for the faint hearted. There is no marked trail between the two peaks and there a lots of paths that would require wings.
- joe

sbkelley
City, State: Reno, NV

Post by sbkelley » Aug 11 2010 2:23 pm

In short: yes! In terms of that oh-so-addicting feeling of accomplishment, this one ranks up there, and very few other treks in the state have offered that much of a high. That being said...

Stay patient, stay calm, and know what you're getting into. It's a long day, it's not easy, there's constant exposure, the route-finding is tricky, and I'd stay away from the warmer months if you have a choice. Other than that, I don't have much more to add to what's already been said. The pictures and trip-logs on here give you a good dose of what to expect....lastly, keep a nice cold Four Peaks brew in the cooler when you get back to Lone Pine Saddle, you won't regret it!

Return to “Trail Chat”