New Siphon Draw Trail Access

Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
AZLOT69
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

New Siphon Draw Trail Access

Post by AZLOT69 » Dec 07 2010 12:14 am

There is a new officially designated access to the Siphon Draw trail via a newly authorized fee free trailhead that has been arranged in a cooperative effort between several parties. To access this new and presently unmarked trailhead take Hwy 88 (Apache Trail) to Nodak which is the turn for the Mining Camp Restaurant. Turn right then take your first left which is McKellips. McKellips is a dirt rd in good shape. Take it .8 mile to the end which is the trailhead. The last tenth of a mile needs high clearance. Park along the road. Take the trail one quarter mile to the Siphon Draw Trail.
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: New Siphon Draw Trail Access

Post by joebartels » Dec 07 2010 12:23 am

I'd assume but am curious if it's free?
Perhaps put into motion by the park budget issues?
Wonder if the neighbors are liking it :o

Interesting how on the Street layer on Google maps a good portion of the neighborhood is in the National Forest.
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

tibber

Post by tibber » Dec 07 2010 7:42 am

AZLOT69 wrote:There is a new officially designated access to the Siphon Draw trail via a newly authorized fee free trailhead that has been arranged in a cooperative effort between several parties. To access this new and presently unmarked trailhead take Hwy 88 (Apache Trail) to Nodak which is the turn for the Mining Camp Restaurant. Turn right then take your first left which is McKellips. McKellips is a dirt rd in good shape. Take it .8 mile to the end which is the trailhead. The last tenth of a mile needs high clearance. Park along the road. Take the trail one quarter mile to the Siphon Draw Trail.
:thanx: for the update on that.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

rwstorm
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by rwstorm » Dec 07 2010 7:52 am

That's sort of the way we used to go in before the park was established.
Onward into oblivion!

AZLOT69
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by AZLOT69 » Dec 07 2010 8:20 am

"fee free", Most of the neighbors were all for the access, as many wanted horse access.
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Dec 20 2010 3:54 pm

I was just driving around that area this weekend looking for a place to access the wilderness area. Guess it isn't marked cause I didn't see anything to indicate an access or trailhead. Guess I'll have to go back and follow your directions.

Thanks for the info
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

RickVincent
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Improved Siphon Draw Access

Post by RickVincent » Oct 04 2011 10:40 am

I noticed this morning that someone had built up a wall of rocks blocking access to the McKellips TH. This did not make me happy one bit and I started to move some rocks. Fortunately, I ran into a very nice local named Wendy who explained to me that Tonto had just opened up a new access point on the west side of the Mining Camp Restaurant parking lot. I checked it out after my hike. The area is marked with "Trail" signs that lead you to the northwest corner of the restaurant parking area. A path was cleared out that runs along a fence line, then you just pick-up the old trail from there. The adjustment adds about 1/8 mile (one way) to your hike up Siphon Draw. Unlike the rough rocky access to the old trailhead, this new trailhead DOES NOT require a high profile vehicle.
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.

RickVincent

Re: Improved Siphon Draw Access

Post by RickVincent » Oct 04 2011 10:55 am

Map showing new trailhead access attached.
Attachments
McKellipsTH-2011.jpg
This is my gym. I have to travel down a bumpy road to get there. There are no treadmillls, no machines, and no personal trainers. I walk..I run..I breathe the fresh air. I can go any time I want, as much as I want and there is no membership fee.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Improved Siphon Draw Access

Post by hikeaz » Oct 04 2011 10:56 am

"What's old is 'new' again"..... that was the access we used for years until IT was blocked off maybe about 8-9 years ago. Yippee!
kurt

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 04 2011 11:41 am

the wall of rocks prevents parking in the tiny lot?
Are there no parking signs along McKellips?

is this what you mean?
http://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=1119
Screenshot-134.jpg
the Mining Camp Restaurant is kosher with this?

EDIT: Rick answered some of this in his triplog http://hikearizona.com/x.php?x=66541
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

RickVincent

Post by RickVincent » Oct 04 2011 11:09 pm

@Joe - It looked like the official "Trail" markers like you see around Tonto forest lands. Looks like Mining Camp may have given up a portion of their lot for the trailhead. Added the barrier to your map.
Attachments
McKel-th.jpg

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Feb 08 2012 4:18 pm

To those who have been there recently - what kind of capacity (car count) does this lot have, please?
kurt

Tough_Boots

Post by Tough_Boots » Feb 08 2012 4:34 pm

There's lots of room. You can park along the entire back row of the parking lot I believe.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 08 2012 4:42 pm

Planning an invasion Kurt? :lol: Kyle's right, take 1st Water TH and quadruple the amount of parking space....Haven't been there on a weekend, but never heard of it filling up....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Feb 08 2012 5:01 pm

Outdoor Lover wrote:Planning an invasion Kurt? :lol:
Yep.... my APCO Club armored personnel carrier owner's is planning a hike.... ;)
Last edited by hikeaz on Feb 08 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 08 2012 5:13 pm

@hikeaz :D You'll have plenty of room for the Tanks.... :sweat:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

WilliamnWendi
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by WilliamnWendi » Feb 08 2012 5:17 pm

hikeaz wrote:Yep.... my APO Club armored personnel carrier owner's is planning a hike....

Sounds like the "Scary NRA Militia Types" thread is about to be resurrected :o
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Feb 08 2012 8:35 pm

When we hiked the Ridgeline in January there was no berm to prevent driving McKellips all the way to the gate, which is where I parked. There was also a small lot right next to the gate that will probably hold a dozen cars.
CannondaleKid

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Feb 09 2012 7:54 am

When Randy and I did the Flatiron a couple of weeks ago, we parked at the Miner's Camp and crossed over/through to the trail head. There was one car in the McKellips lot and one car parked a little further back down the road before it gets rough. I did notice what appeared to be a barrier, but it was mostly removed.

I would still recommend parking at the Mining Camp, it's easier to get to and offers better security.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

terricita10
City, State: mesa, az

Post by terricita10 » Feb 09 2012 9:33 pm

The road to the McKellips TH seems to be improving each time I go. Seems like the car eating "baby head rocks" are slowly being cleared. Seen a number of low clearance cars (i.e. Honda Fit) parked at the gate. I still park in the NW corner of the Mining Camp parking lot, it seems like they don't care if you do (potential customers and they do have a bar). On top of that the Mining Camp parking lot has "trail signs" and a very new watering hole for horses entering the park. I really, really doubt that they don't want you parking there. Happy Hour: Mon.-Thur. 1PM-4PM(? ), $3 AZ craft beer and for food stick with the buffet.

Return to “Trail Chat”