Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Battleship - Grand Canyon, AZ
Linked Areas none
hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

The Battleship - Grand Canyon

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Feb 01 2011 7:29 pm

With the mildness of the La Nina winter seemingly setting in (except for the current fluke arctic air mass this week), I'm considering doing a summit bid on the Battleship in the Grand Canyon while the crowds of the Bright Angel remain low in the off-season. The hike description: http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=696 seems to give the notion of some exposed climbing, while the triplogs seem to suggest that it's not much of a big deal. Brian's in particular suggested an "easy" way versus some other class 4 spots. I'm a pretty big wuss about heights (ask Jim_H), so I'd love to hear if anybody has any specific details on the easiest climb route up the Battleship, and how exposed it really is. Thanks!
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: The Battleship - Grand Canyon

Post by Jim_H » Feb 01 2011 7:39 pm

Hmmm, might be interesting. True class 4 is about holds and not exposure, so you may find it pretty easy.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by hikeaz » Feb 02 2011 5:57 am

I have been up a few times - the real crux, if there is one, is the 'crack', 'chimney' or 'chute'. It's about 15 or 20 vertical feet and about 36-40 inches wide. The rock is solid, but holds are scarce. I have talked a few acrophobs up and down - it's more of an 'above the ears' challenge than a physical one. Nice 'grippy' shoes/boots are a help. The exposure (at this spot) is not that bad and would certainly not be fatal unless you had one of those 1-in-a-million falls. To the right of the cairn is decent drop though.

This is it from below.... Image

This guy is making it appear a little harder than it is, but check this out, starting at about the 2:00 mark..it will give you an idea of the area- again, he's making it appear a bit more difficult than it is > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH0nSBrZ ... re=related

Regardless if you make the top or not, the walk out to the 'bow' has some amazing views, so the hike, even without the 'summit', is a tremendous one.
kurt

hippiepunkpirate

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Feb 02 2011 8:23 am

@hikeaz
Cool, thanks Kurt! Yeah, the exposure by that cairn wouldn't bother me, there's plenty of room there. That chimney move doesn't look too bad, but I'll definitely take somebody with me who has bigger huevos to coach me up the thing.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Feb 02 2011 10:19 am

youtube tip
while watching the video pause it where you want the link to be, right click and choose "Copy video URL at current time"
or calculate out the seconds as noted at the end of the url
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... CmQ#t=125s
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Feb 02 2011 11:23 am

joe bartels wrote:youtube tip
while watching the video pause it where you want the link to be, right click and choose "Copy video URL at current time"
or calculate out the seconds as noted at the end of the url
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... CmQ#t=125s
Now if you'd be willing to come over and program my betamax for me, Joe, I'll be golden! (Seriously... thanks for the tip)
kurt

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Feb 02 2011 12:13 pm

Oh, so that way you don't have to watch people walking down the BA trail? I didn't watch the video for that reason. It started out boring.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

maxpower

Post by maxpower » Feb 02 2011 2:32 pm

azbackpackr wrote:Oh, so that way you don't have to watch people walking down the BA trail? I didn't watch the video for that reason. It started out boring.
You can move the slider and fast-forward through that part. I thought it was interesting to watch another related Battleship video on YouTube, where the guy zipped right up that chimney like it was barely there. Quite a contrast in technique!

nonot

Post by nonot » Feb 02 2011 8:02 pm

Cool stuff, Kurt!
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Feb 07 2011 8:51 pm

When are you thinking of doing this, or will it be a private event?
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

hippiepunkpirate

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Feb 08 2011 2:02 pm

Jim_H wrote:When are you thinking of doing this, or will it be a private event?
Not quite sure, I'm starting a new job this week so it depends on my schedule. Possibly around my birthday which is Feb 26. I'll let you know for sure, Jim.

hikeaz

Post by hikeaz » Feb 08 2011 3:07 pm

hippiepunkpirate wrote:Possibly around my birthday which is Feb 26......
My daughter Katie's, too! Congrats!
kurt

hippiepunkpirate

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Feb 08 2011 3:11 pm

hikeaz wrote: My daughter Katie's, too! Congrats!
Thanks! It's also azpride's...

SuperUnleaded

Post by SuperUnleaded » Oct 05 2012 10:54 am

This is a great hike.. and not that difficult. Started this one the other night at 3:00AM after a few drinks, and got back to the rim of the canyon 12 hours later. The climbs werent nearly as tough as other logs listed them to be. I dont know if there are multi-routes to the top, but the route I took was fairly easy. I circled around the base to the south-east and found "the duck" and then climbed its back up to the top. I work and live in the Grand Canyon, so if anyone is interested in some hikes out here let me know, Id be happy to show you some of our hidden gems.. Cheers

SuperUnleaded

Post by SuperUnleaded » Oct 05 2012 10:59 am

hikeaz wrote: This guy is making it appear a little harder than it is, but check this out, starting at about the 2:00 mark..it will give you an idea of the area- again, he's making it appear a bit more difficult than it is > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH0nSBrZ ... re=related
Yeah he is... the climb isnt that tough. I shimmied up that chimney in about 15-20 seconds. Great hike... highly recommended 10-12 hours round trip. Im usually off on Thursdays and Fridays if anyone wants to go. :)

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Oct 05 2012 2:27 pm

SuperUnleaded wrote:Im usually off on Thursdays and Fridays if anyone wants to go.
I am off work on Thursdays ... been very anxious to do the Battleship!
Where is the "dislike" button?

Canyonram
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Canyonram » Oct 06 2012 8:17 am

Taking the Battleship route is well worth the effort. The route begins just below 'Two-mile corner' on the Bright Angel Trail (you can start looking for the cairns after passing the Mile-and-half rest house. The two-mile corner is the western most switchback on the BA and can be spotted from above as you hike down. Be alert that there is an additional route about 275-300 feet below the two-mile corner---this route is easier to follow but has some narrow ledges and some 100 foot dropoffs so those leery of heights might prefer the upper access.

Once you leave the BA, there are actually several routes all marked with cairns that lead across the Supai that eventually weave into one another as you near the saddle of the Battleship. The posted Youtube videos show the chute and the crevice---the biggest problem with both is the size of the person attempting to get through so larger hikers might get turned back or have to climb over the chockstone wedged into the crevice. Plenty of yucca (shin daggers) and loose srabble along the route so consider long pants. Even if you don't make the 'summit' you can still enjoy some great inner canyon vistas. Leave your hiking plans with someone if you do this solo---the route is becoming more popular but I have done several hikes and not seen anyone coming or going.

SuperUnleaded

Post by SuperUnleaded » Oct 08 2012 11:52 am

cactuscat wrote:
SuperUnleaded wrote:Im usually off on Thursdays and Fridays if anyone wants to go.
I am off work on Thursdays ... been very anxious to do the Battleship!
Hows this upcoming thursday? I didnt get to spend asa much time up there as Id have liked this last time, so Id really like to go again before the weather comes in. In fact, dont we have some rain coming in this week? At the very least, we could make the attempt. Let me know, cause either way Ill be out there.. :)

quadman
City, State: scottsdale,az

Post by quadman » May 22 2013 3:56 pm

I'm thinking of hiking the Battleship peak in the Grand Canyon in September with two other hikers. I'm know the distance and AEG involved in this hike but how difficult is this hike? How bad is the exposure, how difficult is the "crux" (it doesn't seem to required ropes) should I think about asking someone long that has done this hike? I have read many articles and have seem many pictures of the hike but the feel unsure about this adventure. Have hike for many years in the Grand Canyon ...just trying to prepared for this hike. Any info would greatly be appreciated!

chumley

Post by chumley » May 22 2013 4:09 pm

quadman wrote:I'm thinking of hiking the Battleship peak...Any info would greatly be appreciated!
Without having posted any triplogs or other information here on HAZ, it's very difficult for any of us to judge what you may or may not be comfortable with hiking.

My best advice is to continue your research.

There are numerous triplogs posted here on HAZ, accompanied with photos, and even a few videos. Here is a good one of people climbing the "crux" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KymekVO47ZM
Here's a link to all the triplogs: http://hikearizona.com/x.php?I=4&ZTN=696&UID=0

By reading the experiences of others hopefully you will be able to gain a good understanding of what you will face and decide if it's appropriate for you.

And if you decide to do it, please post a triplog here on HAZ when you're done. It'll help others who come here looking for information on the same hike!
Highway to hell

Return to “Trail Chat”