Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Bright Angel Trail, AZ
Linked Areas none
no avatar
tdada
City, State: Charlton, Massachusetts

foot traffic in GC

Post by tdada »

I'm planning to hike into the grand canyon this coming april. I'd like to know how much foot traffic I'm likely to find? I'm thinking of going down to BA campground, staying a night or two. Any recommendations concerning such a trip?
GTG_AZH
City, State: Peoria, AZ - Originally from Rocket City USA

GC Trip

Post by GTG_AZH »

I went last April and loved it. If you use South Kaibab or Bright Angel trails, expect to see a lot of foot traffic. It's not Squaw Peak, but at times close. Bright Angel seems to be used more, especially by the mules. If travelling Bright Angel trail, you'll need to be proficient in MULE (Mule Urine Lake Evasion).
You need to apply for an April backcountry permit in December, unless you know someone with a permit or are going with an outfitter. See ck1's Grand Canyon beginner article.

Enjoy!
GTG
The boy from Rocket City USA
'Alright now look over here and smile! and pretend like you're having a good time!'
evenstarx3
City, State: Sun City West, AZ from CA

Post by evenstarx3 »

Foot traffic on BA is especially heavy on Saturdays; as I was hiking out this past Saturday, ran into half a dozen large (twenty kids or more) elementry school groups between three mile rest house and rim. Most of them were courteous and their leaders had them following trail etiquette, stepping aside to give uphill hikers the right of way; however some didn't seem to give a damn and a few times I found myself fighting my way through an unruly mob. Not a lot of fun with a 30lb pack on my back.
Hooli, aka Trihairopelli

"They say the dog is man's best friend.
I don't believe that. How many of your friends have you neutered?"
--Larry Reeb
Mike
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Mike »

The BA can be especially crowded during the middle of the day, and as Hooli noted, on a weekend. The section from the rim to Indian Garden is the most crowded since a lot of people hike in a few miles and back. If you can, get an early start on the S. Kaibab. Pre-dawn would be best. You'll run into far less traffic and you'll get the added bonus of seeing the sun come up from inside the canyon!! I've left as early as 4 am. The views on the S. Kaibab are much better than the BA. There are mule trains on the S. Kaibab, but not nearly as many. The ones on the S. Kaibab carry supplies and mail down to Phantom Ranch, the BA mule trains carry touristas. You don't want to be on the BA during muletrain rush hour. My last rim-to-river-to-rim trip, I spent an extra half hour at Indian Garden waiting on all the mule trains to get in so I could continue up without having to breath their dust.
no avatar
tdada
City, State: Charlton, Massachusetts

Post by tdada »

I appreciate suggestions. The trip planned is short so I'd like to avoid any possible pitfalls.
This gives me a good start, thanks again. Tim

Return to “Trail Chat”