Linked Guide  • Hog Canyon, AZ
Linked Areas none
no avatar
brusso99
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert

Canyon Name please superstitions

Post by brusso99 » Feb 20 2012 11:16 pm

What is the canyon to the west (left) of hog canyon named and is there any info on it?

Thanks,
Brett

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Re: Canyon Name please superstitions

Post by AZLumberjack » Feb 21 2012 7:02 am

I have heard others just refer to it as "Hog Canyon West". I was unable to find a name for it, although I have plenty of suggestions following my last hike into the canyon.
http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=18600
But you have to hike it before you can name it :o
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

johnlp
Roastapelli
City, State: chandler,az

Post by johnlp » Feb 21 2012 7:19 am

Odd that it doesn't appear to be named since it is one of the bigger canyons in the area. http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=10120
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

kingsnake
Mickey Mouse is a Rat!
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Feb 21 2012 7:36 am

How about Hurt Canyon? ;)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

SuperstitionGuy
Retired Reminiscer
City, State: Apache Junction, Arizona

Post by SuperstitionGuy » Feb 21 2012 1:20 pm

mnlumberjack wrote:I have heard others just refer to it as "Hog Canyon West". I was unable to find a name for it, although I have plenty of suggestions following my last hike into the canyon.
Or die there and then they name it after you.. :scared:
A man's body may grow old, but inside his spirit can still be as young and restless as ever.
- Garth McCann from the movie Second Hand Lions

Another victim of Pixel Trivia.

Current avatar courtesy of Snakemarks

WilliamnWendi
Frame-a-pelli
City, State: Phoenix, Az

Post by WilliamnWendi » Feb 21 2012 1:45 pm

SuperstitionGuy wrote:
mnlumberjack wrote:I have heard others just refer to it as "Hog Canyon West". I was unable to find a name for it, although I have plenty of suggestions following my last hike into the canyon.
Or die there and then they name it after you.. :scared:
This is the wild west! You have die there after robbing a bank/stagecoach and then be found hiding out there, and then get shot in a shoot out. ;)
The Tree of Understanding, dazzling, straight, and simple, sprouts by the spring called Now I Get It. - Wislawa Szymborska, "Utopia"

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Feb 24 2012 9:36 pm

WilliamnWendi wrote:This is the wild west! You have die there after robbing a bank/stagecoach and then be found hiding out there, and then get shot in a shoot out.
Either that or find a boatload of gold back there and then die trying to pack it all out....And nobody finds the gold again.... :D

And I vote for Blood Sucking Canyon....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

AZLOT69
Adventure Kokopelli
City, State: Gold Canyon, AZ

Post by AZLOT69 » Feb 28 2012 10:06 am

I met an oldtimer from AJ who told me it is has been historically known as Eagle Canyon. I have been unable to confirm this but sounds good to me. Why don't you write it up mnlumberjack.
It's best for a man to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open his mouth and remove all doubt.
--Mark Twain

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli

Post by AZLumberjack » Feb 29 2012 7:51 am

AZLOT69 wrote:I met an oldtimer from AJ who told me it is has been historically known as Eagle Canyon.
Haven't heard of that one, guess I'll do a little more checking to see if the name gets a response. Thanks for the info :)
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli

Post by AZLumberjack » Mar 04 2012 2:08 pm

As a followup to the canyon-with-no-name, I posed the question to Author and Superstition Mtn Historian, Tom Kollenborn.
His Reply:
Jack, I haven't heard any reference to Eagle Canyon, but that doesn't mean anything because their are a lot of contemporary local names today. These names originate with each new generation that moves into the area. Some of the old name I have for canyons along the western facade of Superstition Mountain are Siphon Draw, No-Name, Monument, Flat Iron, Hog, Kings, Apache Springs, Hieroglyphic, Quicksilver, Dromendary, Nations, Adams, Carney Springs, and Peralta Canyons. I hope this helps you and doesn't confuse the issue more. All place names are subject to change and further confusion. Take care, TK

If this is a sequential listing from Siphon Draw to Peralta, the canyon would be "Flat Iron". There's a lot of canyons along that ridge.

no avatar
brusso99
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Gilbert

Post by brusso99 » Mar 19 2012 10:36 pm

Awesome info thanks

currovivorideo
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Logan, Utah

Post by currovivorideo » Apr 06 2012 9:50 am

That is so much great info!
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds awake in the day to find it is vanity. The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes and make them reality.

Return to “Trail Chat”