Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guide  • Monument Canyon - Tonto NF, AZ
Linked Areas none
currovivorideo
City, State: Logan, Utah

What canyon is this?

Post by currovivorideo » Apr 04 2012 10:07 pm

O_58294-19454_1333423730-05.jpg
Last week we did a hike up to Flatiron and across ridgeline, down west Boulder saddle. Nice 12 miler. I took a picture in one of the canyons that we came across on top that was amazing. Can anyone look at this and tell me what the name is? I can't find it. Possibly Hog Canyon? Please look at the last pic on my photoset for Superstition Ridgeline trail. Thanks!
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds awake in the day to find it is vanity. The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes and make them reality.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: What canyon is this?

Post by CannondaleKid » Apr 05 2012 6:54 am

My first thought is the upper part of Monument Canyon.

Based on my Hog Canyon hike and looking toward where you shot the photo from, Hog Canyon would be on the other side of the large outcrop just to the right of the center in the photo.
CannondaleKid

currovivorideo

Post by currovivorideo » Apr 05 2012 8:54 am

That would be a perfect name for it. I'm looking back over my GPS for the hike for some coordinates. Thanks!
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds awake in the day to find it is vanity. The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes and make them reality.

currovivorideo

Post by currovivorideo » Apr 05 2012 9:28 am

Joe Bartels description of the hike (Superstition Ridgeline) describes this section with this sentance:

Between Monument Canyon and Hog Canyon fanning down below to your right is another canyon (I'm not sure of the name) coming up to this indent in the ridge.

So maybe it's that "other canyon" because AZLOt 69 describes Monument Canyon's location like this:

Monument Canyon lies at the Southwest corner of the Superstitions directly beneath the southern side of the Flatiron.

Which seems to indicate that you could see Monument Canyon from Flatiron. That wasn't the case. I know it's way out there to post a pic of a canyon in Arizona and ask what it is, there are a bazillion of them, but this one seems singular.

johnlp
City, State: chandler,az

Post by johnlp » Apr 05 2012 7:53 pm

There is another thread about this canyon and how it has no definitive name. I hiked up it to the base of the cliffs a couple years ago. http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=10120
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

currovivorideo

Post by currovivorideo » Apr 05 2012 9:26 pm

That. is. cool. The same canyon for sure. Neat trip log. That's why I love forums. Probably has some numerical Forest Service designation. I'm going to come up with a name then.

johnlp
City, State: chandler,az

Post by johnlp » Apr 06 2012 7:11 am

Here's a link to the other thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6778
“Good people drink good beer.” Hunter S Thompson

currovivorideo

Post by currovivorideo » Apr 06 2012 9:54 am

The canyon with no name...That thread is so awesome! Man, I love this stuff. Now I have every canyon name along the South edge. I'm going to look up that Superstition historian.

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Aug 22 2012 5:42 pm

I found this thread after my Flatiron loop the other day. I posted a gps route for the canyon I went down (the first off the ridgeline trail to the east/se of Flatiron and was wondering if this was the canyon that is referred to in this post. I eventually made my way into monument canyon but havIng not planned to take this route initially didn't read up on it ahead of time. I had forgotten about the plane crash until I came upon some debris. Also, at the time of the hike wasn't aware that the lone chimney was a part of an old homestead which I found interesting as well. Any thoughts?
http://hikearizona.com/map.php?GPS=12521
Here is the link to the photoset with some pictures looking up a down the canyon as well as south side of Flatiron.
http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=21203
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

AZLumberjack
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Aug 23 2012 4:29 am

Based on your description, and assuming the photos are in sequential order, you had already passed Monument Canyon. The dividing wall you see could be the ridge that separates this unnamed Canyon from Hog Canyon.

If you intend to explore this canyon, be forewarned...... http://hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=18600 It is not easy going as indicated by my description. Take plenty of water and a pint of blood :sweat:
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Aug 23 2012 11:33 am

@mnlumberjack
:sweat: By the way, really like your new Avatar Photo Jack. :)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack » Aug 23 2012 12:42 pm

@Outdoor Lover
Thanks Pam, it's my tribute to my favorite hiking partner, Doug.
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Aug 23 2012 3:10 pm

@mnlumberjack :?
Yep, I expect that mine will be changing sometime in the next month as well.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

MtnBart01
City, State: Chipita Park, Co

Post by MtnBart01 » Aug 23 2012 7:58 pm

@mnlumberjack
In looking at my track next hog canyon tracks there appears to be one major canyon in between. I guess the canyon I navigated from the ridgeline is kind of an upper monument canyon although my topo on my gps only has it named down below in the area where I found some plane wreckage. I got bloody, but the major issue was a route that required boulder hopping virtually the entire way. It was only overgrown and thorny for the first couple hundred feet until I got into a wash. Was this canyon in between monument and hog canyon the choked one you explored?
LET IT SNOW! Let it SNOW! Let it Snow!

AZLumberjack

Post by AZLumberjack » Aug 24 2012 6:42 am

@bart01
Your description sounds awfully similar, especially the boulder hopping part, I have been in Monument Canyon, but not too far past the old chimney foundation.

Hog Canyon and its adjoining canyon are very similar in the boulder strewn wash part but the adjoining canyon has a lot more catsclaw to take its toll. I had my fill of it on one hike ](*,)

Return to “Trail Chat”