Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
sundevilstormin
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Horseshoe Bend (west)

Post by sundevilstormin » May 01 2012 10:45 pm

Hey, I've been seeing a lot of great shots of Horseshoe Bend recently on the interwebnets and that got me thinking and searching.... it there a way to access the WEST bank of the bend? I think the closest approach would be from Lees Ferry - Spence Trail up onto the flats and then cross NE from there... there is another very faint dirt track -road which seems to cross several miles to the west... just wondering if any here have heard or done anything of the sort.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Re: Horseshoe Bend (west)

Post by azbackpackr » May 02 2012 2:50 am

Rob would know the answer to that.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » May 02 2012 6:50 am

There is a road that leads from 89 behind the beehive all the way out to right by Dominguez Pass that the power company uses (and occasionally maintains). Locally it is called the Dead Dog road. You can drive it out towards the Ferry Swale area and then hike out to the point. Another option would be hiking Spencer Trail, as you mention. If you don't want to worry about getting your vehicle stuck in sand, the Spencer option is probably best. I never went out to the west side of HSB. I know a lot of other folks who have poked around on the west side of Glen Canyon, but I haven't heard of anyone specifically mentioning going out to the western point of HSB. I am sure that some have though. Would be kind of neat to get the inverse perspective.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » May 02 2012 9:00 am

A prominent landscape photog named Mark Metternich has some shots from the west rim of Glen Canyon of the next bend downstream of Horseshoe, right behind the Spencer Trail "summit" on top of the Echo Cliffs. Looks like an overnight to shoot it is very feasible via Spencer Trail, but Metternich mentions thrashing his truck on dirt roads. 36.876794 -111.565426 are the coordinates of where-abouts I think he shoots from. http://www.wildforlight.com/Landscapes/ ... xN2/Medium
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

sundevilstormin

Post by sundevilstormin » May 02 2012 10:22 pm

BAH - of course MM has been there.. shoulda ping'ed him on FredMiranda.. thanks Jake and Rob!

... full moon this weekend.. must make a plan....

I've also been eyeing a bend south of there at 36.404843,-111.832094 on the Res, not quite as dramatic a shoe as HSB, but...
Last edited by sundevilstormin on May 03 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundevilstormin

Post by sundevilstormin » May 02 2012 10:24 pm

LOL - I just scrolled thru MM's site and found that one too ](*,)
http://www.wildforlight.com/Landscapes/ ... CRc/Medium

sundevilstormin

Post by sundevilstormin » May 07 2012 10:44 pm

just got an email from MM, he recommends using the 4x4 roads rather than SPencer trail, simply due to the climb with gear...

thinking thinking...

Return to “Trail Chat”