Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SAMBA
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Mindless competition

Post by SAMBA » Oct 29 2012 8:05 am

I'm fine with the antennas, antennae for my non-American brethren (http://grammarist.com/usage/antennae-antennas/); my objection is with those who MINDLESSLY seek out the peaks in the first place. The notion that "bagging" a peak is a worthwhile endeavor just "because it's there" is INSANE. I could care less whether or not they've bagged the Colorado 14ers, or any other arbitrarily compiled list, for that matter. That said, I might be persuaded to temper my "peak bagging" rant, if there's anybody out there in HAZ land who has "bagged" the Colorado 13ers who objects to my comments. BTW (computerese for "By The Way"), when did hiking transition from a recreational pursuit to some goal driven compulsion?

Sredfield
City, State: Ahwatukee, AZ

Re: Thompson Peak Summit: How hazardous are the ...

Post by Sredfield » Oct 29 2012 9:43 am

Whatever floats the boat, if someone wants to work against a list --14's, AZT, PCT, State High Points, etc. -- what does anyone care. The big draw of hiking is "hike your own hike," whatever that is.
Shawn
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see.

BobP
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by BobP » Oct 29 2012 10:48 am

SAMBA wrote:when did hiking transition from a recreational pursuit to some goal driven compulsion?
Ohhh. that reminds me I still need to do a hike starting with an X.
http://www.blindmotivation.com
http://www.seeitourway.org
Always pronounce Egeszsegedre properly......
If you like this triplog you must be a friend of BrunoP

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Oct 29 2012 11:25 am

rlrjamy wrote:Ohhh. that reminds me I still need to do a hike starting with an X.
You can scratch an "X" into the dust at the TH. It would be sort of like Winnie the Pooh living under the name of Sanders (literally).

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Oct 29 2012 11:43 am

SAMBA wrote:BTW (computerese for "By The Way"), when did hiking transition from a recreational pursuit to some goal driven compulsion?
Pursuit? What is being pursued if there's no goal? http://hikearizona.com/x.php?I=9.9
691! :)
Profound observer

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Oct 29 2012 12:11 pm

chumley wrote:
SAMBA wrote:BTW (computerese for "By The Way"), when did hiking transition from a recreational pursuit to some goal driven compulsion?
Pursuit? What is being pursued if there's no goal? http://hikearizona.com/x.php?I=9.9
691! :)
Fun? Would it be heretical in this distinguished forum to suggest that hiking for the sake of hiking can be FUN?

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Oct 29 2012 12:26 pm

big_load wrote:
rlrjamy wrote:Ohhh. that reminds me I still need to do a hike starting with an X.
You can scratch an "X" into the dust at the TH. It would be sort of like Winnie the Pooh living under the name of Sanders (literally).
Why bother? Vape, et.al. have already saved you the effort of scratching an "X", http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=15334.

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Re: Mindless competition

Post by PLC92084 » Oct 29 2012 12:40 pm

SAMBA wrote:when did hiking transition from a recreational pursuit to some goal driven compulsion
Sadly... I've hiked with more than a few folks who seem to have OCD when it comes to peaks. And almost all, without fail, have asked if I've hiked (or will be hiking) Whitney (as if that's the be-all, end-all to achieve hiking bliss in CA)... :?

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Oct 29 2012 12:56 pm

Peakbagging for me is a gateway to new places, as well as a way to challenge myself with more difficult hikes. My most difficult hikes have been entirely centered around peaks, and all of those peaks are located in places that I can't wait to visit again.

We all get different highs from different things, whether it's biking to various bars around Tucson, or standing atop the highest peaks. There's no reason for anyone to rant.

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Oct 29 2012 12:57 pm

Patrick L wrote:We all get different highs from different things, whether it's biking to various bars around Tucson,
:sl:
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Oct 29 2012 1:02 pm

Just for the record, I enjoyed those photosets.

The_Eagle

Post by The_Eagle » Oct 29 2012 1:05 pm

X and Z for me..... :bdh:
Dave Barry

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Oct 29 2012 1:38 pm

I go for the experience and view. I've hiked some 13ers and 14ers, but I don't have any specific list-based goals nor do I care what anyone thinks about what I have or haven't hiked.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Oct 29 2012 1:40 pm

SAMBA wrote:Fun? Would it be heretical in this distinguished forum to suggest that hiking for the sake of hiking can be FUN?
Do you believe it's beyond the realm of possibility for people to actually ENJOY hiking with a goal in mind? If it takes a goal to get someone out hiking, I say WONDERFUL, at least they are out hiking!

Personally, I can say I thoroughly enjoy hiking whether I'm hiking a trail I've done numerous times, wandering completely off in the wilderness with no particular destination in mind, or yes, even when (heaven forbid) bagging a peak.

I'm curious why you feel bagging a peak for any reason is considered insane. Yes, most of my hikes are 'peak baggers' but guess what? Who cares... While it may be a well-worn cliche, 'It isn't the destination but the journey' fits me perfectly. I do it for the exhilaration I get just by hiking to someplace I haven't been before. Besides, I think it's a lot more fun to choose a specific destination (peak, spring, mine, canyon, whatever) than to pick a random set of coordinates to hike to.

That brings to mind, how do you choose which bar to bike to? Oh... right... biking for biking's sake IS the fun, not the destination.

Oh, by the way (yes, I can actually write the words), I don't hold your choice of destination against you, I'd only ask the same in return... and for all of us who hike with a destination in mind. Thanks, I'd appreciate it!
I've said my piece... someone else can have their turn on the :SB:
CannondaleKid

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Oct 29 2012 1:43 pm

big_load wrote:I go for the experience and view. I've hiked some 13ers and 14ers, but I don't have any specific list-based goals nor do I care what anyone thinks about what I have or haven't hiked.
Not me. I only hike for the recognition I get from other people. I actually hate hiking. But I need people to "like" my comments, triplogs, and photosets. Hiking is only a means to that end. Please like this comment so I can sleep peacefully tonight. Thanks.
Profound observer

The_Eagle

Post by The_Eagle » Oct 29 2012 1:47 pm

@chumley
Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like, Like
Dave Barry

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Oct 29 2012 1:49 pm

coanbru wrote:
Patrick L wrote:We all get different highs from different things, whether it's biking to various bars around Tucson,
:sl:
My efforts in "bagging" bars in Tucson had nothing to do with knocking something new off of an arbitrary list. I was simply doing HOMEWORK. As a matter of fact, I may be re-visiting one or two of those welcoming watering holes when I complete this afternoon's political canvassing.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Oct 29 2012 1:56 pm

chumley wrote:Not me. I only hike for the recognition I get from other people. I actually hate hiking. But I need people to "like" my comments, triplogs, and photosets. Hiking is only a means to that end. Please like this comment so I can sleep peacefully tonight. Thanks.
Just for the record, I detest Facebook and the whole thing about 'Liking', but I'll be doggoned if I don't LOVE this post! :worthy:
(How come there's no 'thumbs-up' smiley?)

Ok, chumley, I 'liked' your post but don't expect me to like anything else, whether it be triplog, photoset, or whatever. ;)
CannondaleKid

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Oct 29 2012 2:01 pm

I guess it's time for me end this discussion with this one question. Have you ever hiked in Utah? There is no better hiking in the whole world than in Utah, and that statement is incontrovertible. But there are no peaks in Utah south of I-70, yet Utah hiking is the BEST.

cindyl
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by cindyl » Oct 29 2012 2:16 pm

SAMBA wrote:As a matter of fact, I may be re-visiting one or two of those welcoming watering holes when I complete this afternoon's political canvassing.
i might see you at one of those watering holes tonight. if so, i'd love to discuss this more. i love peak bagging, i get such an adrenaline rush and a personal sense of accomplishment and empowerment (not to mention, i save my peak beers for the tops of peaks to give me an added insentive). i'm not after being on the top of any list for mileage or aeg, but i get a kick out of knowing what i've done, and trying to accomplish my personal best. i also like peaks since for the most part, once you've made it to the top, all the hard work is done and it's an easy downhill back to the post-hike libation. (jeez - re-reading that i understand where i got my kopelli). cheers!
There are just two switchbacks left. And another half-mile to the destination...

Return to “Trail Chat”