Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Hikes in 2013

Post by Jim_H » Dec 24 2012 10:39 am

As Jake can tell you, and perhaps Mike, I often think of hikes to do in the future, as well as potential trips. With the slowly growing day length, I'm already looking to summer and thinking of trips. Anyone else do this? I had been thinking of a C2C and Whitney in CA, but started thinking that C2C can wait and may be better if I'm living lower and better adjusted to heat over 100 degrees. Whitney has been done, and there is so much in the area, so I started to think that something new is in order.

Now, I'm on to Mount Langley, Waucoba Mountain in the Inyo Mountains, and a couple of trails, either from Onion Valley and south of Trail Pass, as well as the Mammoth Lakes area. There's always a trip or two to Tucson, in the Spring, I hope, but we'll see. Of course as Jake can tell you, I change my mind a lot on future trips, but it is fun to think about them, especially at this time of year.
:o

gummo
City, State: mesa

Re: Hikes in 2013

Post by gummo » Dec 24 2012 10:48 am

C2C isn't that hot in summer. It's always breezy there (lots of windmills in the area), and after C2C, there's plenty of less demanding yet scenic hikes in Joshua Tree. I was in Joshua Tree in August expecting to get cooked, but it really wasn't that bad. Just a thought.

PatrickL
City, State: Buckeye, AZ

Post by PatrickL » Dec 24 2012 7:09 pm

Hoping to do C2C as well, either before or after summer. Whitney would be cool, but I want to start at that Lone Pine Campground, or whatever it is? It's a lower elevation, making for a bigger change in elevation. Others on my ever-growing list would be more of the sky islands in Southern Arizona, San Gorgonio, Mt. Taylor, Sandia Crest (Let me know when you guys are heading that way for the GET, JJ/Fraley!), Sierra Blanca, Santiago Peak (CA), Organ Needle-or peak, some stuff in Nevada, Utah, and Colorado, too.

Let the travels begin! :y:

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 25 2012 9:40 am

I see uphill hike times that are not very long, and since I don't want to rise super early, I would start at a normal hour, so it probably would be hot on the C2C. Also, with Palm Spring being 12 hours from me right now, I don't know I would want to use a weekend to hike that, or drive that much to do it. If I go, and I hope hope to go to CA next summer, I want to make for the Sierra and Owens Valley.

John9L
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by John9L » Dec 26 2012 10:34 am

I can't wait for summer 2013. I'm planning a thru-hike on the John Muir Trail starting from Yosemite in late July. I still have a lot of details to plan starting with acquiring the permit.

I'm surprised more folks from HAZ don't venture out to the Sierras during the summer. It's the perfect escape from the heat and the scenery is spectacular! :y:

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 26 2012 10:44 am

John9L wrote:I'm surprised more folks from HAZ don't venture out to the Sierras during the summer. It's the perfect escape from the heat and the scenery is spectacular! :y:
I have wondered that myself. More accurately, I have wondered why there is a clear preference, judging by trip logs and photos sets, for Colorado, above all other western states. Maybe Utah is a close second? I know I am guilty of going to CO, but given the chance and the resources, I'll take the Sierra almost any day over the Rockies, even the Tetons, or unexplored places like the Winds, and Idaho/ Montana Mountains. The scenery, climate, and convenience can't be beat, and out side of a few spots, there really aren't that many people. Whitney is probably the one real exception in the high Sierra, but it still isn't that bad, or isn't on the MR as opposed to the trail. If nothing else, California's summer climate is better, and you have almost no storm threat come August, hardly any insects, and if you get sick of high cold conditions, go to the Owen's Valley and it is warm and low.

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Dec 26 2012 12:19 pm

@John9L
I am jealous ... I am hoping for JMT in 2014!
Where is the "dislike" button?

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Dec 26 2012 12:21 pm

My first hike of 2013 will be the Supes Battleship on the 2nd - can't wait! :D
Where is the "dislike" button?

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 26 2012 12:31 pm

I'll take the Sierra any day, too, over the Rockies. However, I rarely visit either due to cost of travel--gas and extra days off work to travel. Hope to hike the Sierra this coming summer with a friend from here in San Diego. I specifically told him I would like to stay away from the JMT, Mt. Whitney and other popular routes and areas, and he agreed, and came up with some ideas. I'll never climb Whitney again. It was a walk-up on a well-beaten trail, and really kind of crowded. Been there, done that, got the patch. The view was great, though!
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 26 2012 12:56 pm

azbackpackr wrote: I'll never climb Whitney again. It was a walk-up on a well-beaten trail, and really kind of crowded. Been there, done that, got the patch. The view was great, though!
Hahahahahahahah! Climb?! No, Liz, you walked it/ hiked it. You never even approached "climbing it". Even the Mountaineer's route is just a technical hike with some steep exposed part, and the real danger or climb comes in winter if you are dumb enough to attempt it without crampons and an ice axe. Still, not what I think of as a real climb. Right after my February 2011 summit a tourist slid off the final 400 and died.

No, the climbs are the east face and east buttress, the Cardiovascular seizure, and the other oddly named routes that neither of us can do. The crowds are there in peak hours in summer, but I have been up twice in winter and been with 1 or 3 other people. Hardly a crowd, and even in peak tourist season, you can be alone if you do things right. Yes, there are issues with a major tourist peak, as there are with Humphrey, and Elbert, and so on, but if you view it purely as a patch, you already have the wrong view of it to fully enjoy the outing. Then again, this is coming from someone who summited Mount Russell. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I agree there are plenty of other things to do there, which is part of why I think I prefer to skip the Whitney Zone, should I go in summer. I had thought it would be fun to do the MR in summer in a day, then I thought there are other things to do.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 26 2012 1:35 pm

That's true, I took the tourist route. Well, sort of. I started at Horseshoe Meadows, and backpacked via PCT/JMT and came up Whitney from Guitar Lake, then down to the Portal. It was fun, because it was backpacking. Dayhiking in the Sierras would not be worth the time or money it takes to get there, not for me. I would rather go backpacking for a week or 10 days. And I don't care if I don't climb anything with a name. Just want to go up via one pass, and down via another, or do a big loop, and see very few people. Mt. Whitney/Grand Canyon Corridor Trails/Disneyland/Empire State Building. All the same to me. Crowded.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Dec 26 2012 3:51 pm

cactuscat wrote:My first hike of 2013 will be the Supes Battleship on the 2nd - can't wait! :D
yeah, baby!

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 26 2012 7:53 pm

Liz, I did a local peak here today. One of the biggest hikes in the area for a mountain, and that can be done from town. I saw no one else the entire time. I don't mind people on a hike. Crowds? I guess I've seen that in a few places, but that is so rare. Humphrey on a busy Memorial Day Weekend when it is warm is about the most I have had, but I had that to my self plenty. I know your detest for National Parks, but even when at Bryce a few years ago, I had a great time and got away from 99% of the people a short distance down the main trails. Yes, I did enjoy my Gila trip almost 3 years ago, but the thrill of seeing no one is not that great for me. Maybe that is just me.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 28 2012 9:52 am

On the other hand, I'm going to enjoy re-hiking some of the San Diego County trails, some of which are fairly popular. Some are not, though, such as the one I wrote up last year, Clevenger Canyon. Saw no one on that trail.

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Dec 28 2012 10:13 am

@azbackpackr
Remember your CA buddies when you go...

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Dec 28 2012 11:08 am

^remember your craft lover phoenixian friends when you find those rare releases from Alesmith, Green Flash, Iron Fist and Mother Earth. send em my way ~~>

ive got to goal up for more trips. did a pathetic 144 miles last year. may be going with some other cottage gear guys from the Hammock forums up to Phantom via SK/BA at the back side of Feb. then i think i'll try for the sunflower->tule section, and the Kelvin bridge to Black hills t/h sections as a couple of 3 day trips for late March.
that's all i have so far. ;)
:D

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 28 2012 11:22 am

What about a return to the Southern San Juans? Despite my earlier statements about Colorado, I actually do find it has many appealing qualities, I just currently prefer California. Your Southern San Juan trip had many attractive images in it. With the weather in CO, I see embracing it (if you can) and doing a trip focusing on it's best features that result from the high, cold, wetness, to be an intelligent way to visit.

paulhubbard
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by paulhubbard » Dec 28 2012 12:06 pm

te-wa wrote:did a pathetic 144 miles last year
I did a not quite as pathetic 191 miles in 2011, but a miserable, no excuses, lazy shit 90 miles in 2012. I would like to do at least 300 miles next year!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 28 2012 12:55 pm

Jim_H wrote:What about a return to the Southern San Juans?
I really would like to get back there. I'd hike more there if I didn't tend to be so busy during the snow-free months.

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Dec 28 2012 1:00 pm

Alex, i've been 2x and saw only 2 others in 35 miles. we saw 3 or 4 horse packers in a valley going opposite direction. it's the less crowded 'weminuche' so far as i know.

i'd like to go back to s. colorado.. the trails we did were easy, weather was interesting (daily rain @ 2pm sharp) and lots of loop possibilities. fishing too!

this summer deserves some time set aside for an amazing trip, fo sho'.
:D

Return to “Trail Chat”