Fossil 2013

Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Areas none
hikeaz
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Fossil 2013

Post by hikeaz » Jun 28 2013 7:41 am

In their continuing effort to eliminate bipeds from the area, even though there is already a fire ban in effect, the USFS has closed Fossil - even to day-use. They don't seem to want anyone 'recreating' on their land. (presumably that's wreckreating, not the other)

VERDE VALLEY, Ariz. -- The Coconino and Tonto national forests will be implementing a closure of the Fossil Creek area on Monday.

Forest Service officials say the closure is needed to protect the public and area from wildfire risk given the extremely dry conditions, entrapment potential and remoteness.

The closure area includes the entire Fossil, Hackberry Mountain and Childs area from the State Route 260 junction of Forest Road 708 to Strawberry and south to the Verde River.

Officials say anyone seen recreating and camping within the closure will be asked to leave.

No additional entrance will be allowed until the area receives considerable rain and the fire danger lessens.
Last edited by hikeaz on Jun 28 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurt

paulhubbard
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Re: Fossil 2013

Post by paulhubbard » Jun 28 2013 8:19 am

Part of me doesn't like this, but the other part, the part who has seen people have bonfires right next to the creek's edge in camping areas where it's clearly posted everywhere that fires are prohibited, agrees with this closure. I would hate to see the Fossil Creek area burn to a crisp at the hands of some idiot who believes they're above the law.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Jun 28 2013 8:46 am

:SB: It would help in that endeavour if said mentally challenged individuals were prosecuted accordingly. After all, a 7,000 acre fire -- for recent instance -- steals many more millions of dollars in land, and fire fighting resources, and endangers vastly more lives, than does a crack addict knocking off a 7-11 ... ;)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

beterarcher
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by beterarcher » Jun 28 2013 9:43 am

Maybe it's time to implement a permit program.
Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
Anthony Bourdain

chumley

Post by chumley » Jun 28 2013 11:09 am

I think it was a more Wild and Free river before they decommissioned the power plant. Quite the irony.
Profound observer

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Jun 28 2013 5:00 pm

19 out of 20 people that visit Fossil are idiots and can't be trusted with not burning the area down... close it during fire restrictions-- that's what I say!
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Jun 29 2013 6:11 am

Hah. What I was just talking about. From the Friday NYT: "Cost of Battling Wildfires Cuts Into Prevention Efforts"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/28/us/co ... paper&_r=0
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

allanalxndr
City, State: Phx, AZ

Post by allanalxndr » Jun 29 2013 10:39 am

chumley wrote:I think it was a more Wild and Free river before they decommissioned the power plant. Quite the irony.
Conservation is great, but they advertised the hell out of it and what they "accomplished", which really defeated the purpose IMO.

whereveriroam
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Post by whereveriroam » Jul 15 2013 12:28 pm

I just checked the Tonto NF's website to see if Fossil Creek has reopened. Its still closed and looking around the site FR 708 is closed from Strawberry until 4-15-2015. The information is vague to me since FR 708 is a long road. The Forest Service says Fossil Creek can be accessed from AZ 260 using FR 708 and that the Strawberry side is closed. To me that sounds like where the road crosses the creek is the dividing line. This should keep visitation down once they reopen the area. Although long, the Mail trail may become popular.

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Post by Dschur » Jul 15 2013 1:20 pm

Drove past the Fossil Creek road both the Camp Verde side and the Strawberry side and the gate was shut on the Camp Verde side with closed area sign. And alot of the roads on the south side of General Crook's Highway was closed too. And a sign was in place at the Strawberry Lodge said area closed past Strawberry on the Fossil Creek road too.. due to fire danger...
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

chumley

Post by chumley » Jul 16 2013 10:55 am

The Fossil Creek area closure will be lifted beginning tomorrow, Wednesday, July 17th at 8am. Sufficient rain has fallen that the fire danger is reduced and all restrictions have been lifted.

The road access from Strawberry is still closed at the upper trailhead, but hiking will be allowed as normal. Road access from Camp Verde will be open at 8am tomorrow.
Profound observer

Return to “Trail Chat”