Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Crzy4AZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

McDowell Sonoran Preserve 133 mile all-trails list

Post by Crzy4AZ » Dec 22 2014 7:14 pm

As promised (to @tibber and @trekkin gecko) here is the list of McDowell Sonoran Preserve (MSP) trails that I've compiled by these methods:

(1) copying list directly from the back of the 3 city maps (northern, central, southern) found online and at trailheads in three colors (northern-green, central-blue, southern-white)

(2) highlighting all the trails on the 3 maps and adding all the little segments to the list

(3) new trails that I know from hiking myself and word of mouth within McDowell Sonoran Conservancy (includes Coyote Canyon, Dove Valley, Hawk's Nest, Kovach interpretive trail)

(4) HAZ posts showing access trails (sunrise equestrian, lost dog wash access) with GPS routes confirmed in person

Trails that are NOT included in this list are those that are not officially sanctioned paths like East End peak, McDowell peak, McDowell ridgeline.

I'm still missing a few tenths mile - - probably some access trails somewhere. But this is the best I could do!!
Last edited by Crzy4AZ on Dec 22 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crzy4AZ

Re: McDowell Sonoran Preserve 133 mile all-trails list

Post by Crzy4AZ » Dec 22 2014 7:19 pm

This is a Word document - - if you want it in Excel format - - then send me a PM and I'll email it to you.
Attachments
MSP trails dec 2014.docx
(97.77 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

mazatzal

Post by mazatzal » Dec 22 2014 9:38 pm

Can Hikebot add all these so I can link them. I might catch up with 9L :)

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Dec 22 2014 9:43 pm

@mazatzal
You know HAZBot's gonna tell you that's something you can easily do yourself. :M2C:
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

Sun_Ray

Post by Sun_Ray » Dec 23 2014 7:50 am

Laurie, great job :wrt: thanks for all your efforts to get this done. Now I've just got to sit down and see how many more I've got to complete. Guessing its a lot of short hikes as I've done most of the 3 miles and over.
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

New2hyk
City, State: scottsdale, AZ

Post by New2hyk » Dec 23 2014 8:39 pm

Thank you Laurie for putting the list together :) it is lot of work and you did it during holiday season :wlift:

Crzy4AZ

Post by Crzy4AZ » Dec 24 2014 5:00 am

@New2hyk
Thank you!

I am still clarifying distances for Hawksnest and Dove Valley. If you look on Page 8 on the City's website for "Final report Area 2C Trail Corridor Plan" - - you can see a full map of the current trails off 136th Street and the future ones planned for 2015.

Dove Valley trail is very long and connects to Tonto National Forest - - these are old AZ State Land Trust trails. I'm not sure if those trails will be maintained and officially signed with mileage - - or they may let the area revegetate with planning of other new trails in 2015.

I'm waiting to hear back from chair of Construction/Maintenance.

I did clarify that the 0.9 Lost Dog Wash access trail is not in official Preserve land - - so I'll fix that on spreadsheet. Also I was missing 0.2 miles equestrian access area to Gooseneck trail. So I will post a fully edited spreadsheet once I get answers on Hawksnest and Dove Valley.

Happy holidays to everyone! : rein : : rein : : rein :

trekkin_gecko
City, State: phoenix, az

Post by trekkin_gecko » Dec 24 2014 5:55 am

@Crzy4AZ
thanks for doing this
will take a good look when i have time
certainly haven't hiked all of them

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Dec 27 2014 9:41 am

mazatzal wrote:Can Hikebot add all these so I can link them. I might catch up with 9L :)
Word on the trail is he spent yesterday creating the McDowell Sonoran Preserves - North Mapped Area based on the May 2013 Northern Region Map. Still need route data for the following.
- Morning Vista - MSPN
- Monument Trail - MSPN
- 136 St Express Trail - MSPN ( lower 2/3rds )
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

mazatzal

Post by mazatzal » Dec 27 2014 10:57 am

@joe bartels @hikebot
:thanx:
Linking soon
:y:

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Dec 27 2014 1:18 pm

@mazatzal
You've got 3 days to link 100 new trails...good luck!
Profound observer

mazatzal

Post by mazatzal » Dec 27 2014 1:28 pm

Scottsdale can't build trails fast enough :lol:

Crzy4AZ

Post by Crzy4AZ » Sep 05 2015 3:28 pm

UPDATE -- - the "All Trails" list now has 161 miles of trails . . .

The Northern region map was just updated yesterday. http://www.scottsdalea...

And Joe @joebartels - I want to post the ATC spreasheet of all trails sorted by region and name -- forum won't let b/c of file extension .xlsx Is there a way to save it in a format to post here?

There will be more trails added in 2016 to the Northern region - - I'll update when that info is available at the end of 2016.

-- Laurie

Tough_Boots
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Tough_Boots » Sep 05 2015 5:16 pm

I imagine the way to handle it would probably be to create a description for any trails not already listed on HAZ and make sure they're included in the McDowell "mapped areas". Then they'll be a permanent list and checklist.
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

Crzy4AZ

Post by Crzy4AZ » Sep 05 2015 5:27 pm

@Tough_Boots
I've thought about doing this - - but there are a lot of loops and such on HAZ that include trail segments that overlap.
For All Trails - you have to do the entire length of the segment. So for simplicity - sticking with the trail name - trail length - and region.

And there are some off-trail write ups on HAZ that "count" in the tally for HAZ McDowells that are not official trails (McDowell Peak, East End peak, and the Paradise pit mines for example) - - so those I can't put on an official list since off trail.

And really there's no "prize" for getting ATC designation for non-Stewards ..... Yet!! I want to do something with the City similar to how MMRP has 100 miles in 100 days in January with prizes.
Attachments
MSP all trails list Sept 2015.xlsx
(50.54 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Sep 12 2015 7:59 pm

@Crzy4AZ
I notice a new map with more trails listed on them. I just have to check them out by then they may add more.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Crzy4AZ

Post by Crzy4AZ » Sep 12 2015 8:03 pm

@WidowmakerThere will be more trails but will be a while - towards the end of 2016 - and really just a very small length trails. You can see where on city map - grey out area with hash marks upper center.

Crzy4AZ

Post by Crzy4AZ » Jul 24 2016 7:02 pm

Thanks to help from two other Conservancy stewards -- I've updated the All Trails Club list to include the trails that will be on maps next month or September (not sure when they are being printed). All the signs are out on the new trails now from Area 8. The ones getting the most attention are the Diablo north/south for mountain bikers and Renegade for its views. And strangely one part of Soapberry Wash trail (that has Michelin Man cactus on it) is being renamed Desperado.

There is currently no prize or recognition for doing all the MSP trails (hike/bike/horse) -- but I have been encouraging roll out to the public similar to MMRP 100 miles in 100 days program that they organize. The attached spreadsheet is really just for OCD check-list type people -- or those that are in the McD's all the time and like to track % completed.

Other random McDowell Sonoran Preserve updates:
1. Next trail construction will be around Pima/Dynamite once land purchase finalized.
2. *Maybe* bathrooms at Sunrise TH now that survey complete.
3. Fraesfield TH will get upgrades 2 years-ish (including water)
3. Granite Mountain TH upgrades 3 years-ish (but no water).
4. In the next season 128th Street (between Ranch Gate Rd and Dynamite) will be closed to local residents only in the Central region.
5. And I'm not sure everyone knows that 136th Street TH is open finally - another way to access Sunrise Peak and Ringtail/Lost Dog areas.
6. Bell Rd/104th St TH finally got some new paving.
7. And the Tonto parking lot at the very very end of 136th Street (great way to access northern Preserve legally) will be paved soon.
8. Huge 25th anniversary of the McDowell Sonoran Preserve party planned for November 4th at West World. I've already got a babysitter lined up LOL.
All Trails May 2016.xlsx
180 miles of trails sorted by region and alphabetically in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve
(13.5 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

New2hyk
City, State: scottsdale, AZ

Post by New2hyk » Jul 24 2016 7:10 pm

@Crzy4AZ Thanq for your hardwork Laurie :app: :)

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Jul 24 2016 8:51 pm

Looking forward to the new map just so I can do all the trails I have missed.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

Return to “Trail Chat”