Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Your workout hike?

Post by Jim_H » Jun 04 2015 5:44 pm

I feel like some trail chat.

What is your favorite workout hike, or what are the best ones for where you live?

Right now, I feel like I have not really got a good workout hike, but that can change. I may do laps on the Linda Vista Trail. Kimball is too long for that, I think. Elden for Flagstaff, nothing or Black Mesa for Kayenta, and the A trail for Alamogordo were the previous big excercise hikes, and then Pusch was great last year. Seems like the valley has many options, and of course, opinions vary.
I just feel better, when I eat a carbon based diet.

desertadapted
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Your workout hike?

Post by desertadapted » Nov 21 2017 3:09 pm

(Phoenix) This time of year, if you're near the McDowell Sonorans, Thompson Peak is fantastic for a training hike. If you take in Bell Pass, and down Prospector, it's easy to get 4,000 feet of quad-busting agony. Do a double of Thompson while you're at it? You're coming up on 6,000 feet. It's not the least bit fun, but it's super efficient for the elevation. During the summer, Mt. Ord is my jam.

jrousoshammond
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Tucson

Post by jrousoshammond » Nov 30 2017 10:42 am

I only "work out" to get in shape for other hikes, but Pusch and Wrightson are my go-tos depending on the season.

Mudhole
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by Mudhole » Nov 30 2017 2:43 pm

hippiepunkpirate wrote:
Jun 09 2015 3:44 pm
When I was in the northwest valley over the winter I was rotating between the standard fare of Deem Hills, East Wing Mountain, West Wing Mountain, Sunrise Mountain, and Thunderbird Park. By the end of the winter those were all getting pretty boring though. Here in Page I haven't really found a great place for a workout hike as there are very few established trails, let alone ones of any length with very much elevation gain. On occasion I go hiking out on the slickrock near the Chains swim area where there's a 250 ft tall slickrock butte and a few other domes. I need to get out there more often, it's really pretty too. Page and the surrounding area is darn beautiful but all the recreation funding around here seems to go toward water sports. I guess it doesn't help that the rez is pretty much off limits.
That's my regular exercise circuit. I can walk to Eastwing within 10 minutes, Westwing and Sunrise within 30 minutes, and Thunderbird is a short 4 mile drive. They are close to home and provide some decent exercise if I do them on an almost daily basis or if I hike them multiple times.
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clean away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean." - John Muir

Mudhole
Lil' Kokopelli
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by Mudhole » Nov 30 2017 2:44 pm

Eastwing about every other day just to stay limber and keep the legs in shape. For altitude training I like to hit up Humphrey's or Kendrick in Flagstaff.
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clean away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean." - John Muir

Return to “Trail Chat”