Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
SAMBA
City, State: Tucson, AZ

A Black Hole of Information

Post by SAMBA » Sep 08 2015 2:05 pm

I did some hiking in the Devil's Canyon area a few years ago, and I left thinking the maze of roads in the area might be well worth a a return trip to explore on mountain bikes. My Google Earth exploration of the area shows the Magma Mine Road runs down the west side of Devil's Canyon running from US-60 south all the way to US-177. I also noticed a couple of roads which seemed to go through canyons to nowhere on the east side of Devil's Canyon. Other than what I can see in QE, Google searches are a black hole of information. Ergo, I'm turning to my HAZ peeps to hopefully fill in some of the blanks. At the very least, there must be some 4-wheelers in the group who could share some insights on what's out there. Would exploring the area be fun, and am I daft to even consider doing so on a mountain bike?

SAMBA

Re: A Black Hole of Information

Post by SAMBA » Sep 10 2015 11:53 am

Did my Magma Mine Road reply to CanondaleKid get posted on this distinguished forum, or is it floating around in the nether world?

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Sep 10 2015 12:02 pm

@CannondaleKid
Yo CD Kid,

Here's the Readers Digest version of the Magma Mine Road inquiry I tried to send you. Is MMR scenic, bike-able, fun, and short enough to do as a shuttle ride? TIA.

LF (aka SAMBA)

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Sep 10 2015 3:55 pm

@chumley I have no trouble playing any Flash Video files when they reside on any of my computers, Windows or OS-X Apple.

But at the moment on my website, it appears to be an issue with the new server my site was migrated onto. And rather than dealing with tech support from the new owner of my web hosting service to help fix the problem I'll just do what I did for SAMBA, upload the old flv's to YouTube and be done with it.
CannondaleKid

wha
City, State: Arizona

Post by wha » Sep 10 2015 4:49 pm

CannondaleKid wrote:@chumleyBut at the moment on my website, it appears to be an issue with the new server my site was migrated onto. And rather than dealing with tech support from the new owner of my web hosting service to help fix the problem I'll just do what I did for SAMBA, upload the old flv's to YouTube and be done with it.
I get a 403 forbidden error when it tries to load jvplayer. Maybe a permissions problem?

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Sep 10 2015 5:18 pm

w h a wrote:I get a 403 forbidden error when it tries to load jvplayer. Maybe a permissions problem?
I don't get any error message, just a gray screen with the description of the video.
Since you are getting a 403 error, I just re-checked the permissions of the flv files and they are no different than the photosets and they work fine so I don't think that's it.
CannondaleKid

wha
City, State: Arizona

Post by wha » Sep 10 2015 5:38 pm

I also see the gray screen with video description. You only see the 403 error in something that shows individual requests, like web console in firefox. The request for jvplayer.swf is denied so it never gets to the video request. I can link to the video directly and it will start to download so that's not the problem.

I think I've been blocked. Now I get nothing but a white screen.

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Sep 24 2015 3:59 pm

The Flash videos on my website are now working again. :y:

Only two solid weeks of back-and-forth, my web host telling me the trouble was on my end while I provided more proof it was on THEIR end. Finally I told them if they looked closer, they would see the script files are dated December of 2011. If they have worked for almost 4 years why did this happen now?

So once more I told them it HAD to be some change THEY did to the server in mid-August, when I had NO access, no web-site and no email, nothing. And all I could be is pressure them as they slowly escalated it from the lowest peon support level up to senior customer service level (as in, SPEAKING to an American, not chatting/emailing with someone in India) and wonder of wonders, he found they HAD changed a security setting which overrode the file permissions so the files would not load.

Only two weeks for a simple 5-second fix :tt: .

But it's working agian! :y:
CannondaleKid

SAMBA

Post by SAMBA » Sep 27 2015 9:02 am

@CannondaleKid
YO CD Kid,

Had I known that I would have cost you weeks of web site frustration, I would never have asked my questions about mountain biking in the Devil's Canyon environs. Besides, I've got a few people interested in the idea of mountain biking Cherry Creek Road due in great part to the info you provided. If the ride becomes a reality, and my MB buddies have a good time, then I'll broach the idea of doing more biking in the Devil's Canyon area.

Once again, I REALLY appreciate all the effort you extended to answer my mountain biking questions.

LaFong (aka SAMBA)

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Sep 27 2015 6:29 pm

SAMBA wrote:Had I known that I would have cost you weeks of web site frustration, I would never have asked my questions about mountain biking in the Devil's Canyon environs.
I had no idea the videos weren't playing so you did me a service letting me know.

Sure, it took more time and frustration than it should have, but as my web-host found out, it was easier to fix the problem than to deal with the trouble I was laying on their doorstep.
:gun:
CannondaleKid

Return to “Trail Chat”