Day Hiking & general trail related

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Jim_H
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Why don't you...

Post by Jim_H » Dec 24 2015 7:23 pm

Why don't you, or why don't people go to western Arizona? Now, I only recently started myself, with the exception of Yuma, Winterhaven, CA and the dunes, but in general, people who have lived in the valley for years seem content to go to the same Superstition, or hikes to the north and east, but relatively few venture to the western desert. Is it simply the lack of hikes, the drive, the isolation, or some other reason? When people do bother with it, it seems like this time of year, which isn't even all that nice, is when people visit. I want to go now, but I really want to go when the days are longer and the temps higher.
:o

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Re: Why don't you...

Post by big_load » Dec 24 2015 7:38 pm

Let's see, here's a few:

1. Mojave flora less interesting that Sonoran.
2. Either fewer water sources or less reliable information about sources.
3. Less Ponderosa-forested high-country

Even so, I've done a little hiking in the southwest and northwest corners and found it enjoyable.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 24 2015 7:48 pm

Hmm. Ok, I should clarify to say I was thinking of the areas south of I-40, so not so much the Mohave areas.

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Dec 24 2015 8:30 pm

I searched for hikes in that area in October and didn't find much that seemed interesting. Maybe that's just a symptom of low visitation.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 24 2015 8:57 pm

Could be, I know that an analog of the Rez, had some stuff, but low visitation and other reasons kept people out. I suspect, that access and a lack of trails does it for places like the Kofa, and other national refuges and monuments.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 24 2015 9:00 pm

There are dozens of little wilderness areas, too. Lots of people hike in them. They just don't post on here. There are no trails most places, as you said. Often need 4WD to get into places.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

SpiderLegs
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by SpiderLegs » Dec 24 2015 9:04 pm

I stumbled across the Sierra Club's Desert Peak Bagger's club(fairly sure it was these guys) out of southern California website a few years back. They had a cache of old triplogs going back to the late 40's of excursions into the Arizona desert. My gut is telling me that more people from California have hiked around western Arizona than anyone from the Phoenix area. Remember reading one triplog from the 1950's about a big caravan of cars driving over from LA to climb up Big Horn Peak, Saddle Mtn and a bunch of others over spring break.
See my pics on Instagram @tucsonexplorer

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Dec 24 2015 9:24 pm

I get out that way a couple of times a year, and plan on doing a couple of things near Bouse in the next month or two ...
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Dec 24 2015 10:51 pm

There are few streams or lakes, little shade, few amenities, no Walmarts, and few paved roads. Sedona, Grand Canyon, Prescott, the Sups, Flagstaff, Page, and Mt. Lemmon get most of the advertisments.

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Dec 24 2015 11:06 pm

have you ever driven the 19? nothing to see there.. sycamore parajita is the only thing for a thousand miles.. maybe baboquivari (escudilla) is the only thing out that way. or palm canyon?
:D

RedRoxx44
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Dec 25 2015 5:01 am

For most people it is convenience. My co-workers--- we want to go hiking with you some time---ok, several invites later no one can go. So I stop extending invitations. When I lived in California is when I started some excursions into Az on the western end of the El Camino. I had a friend and his wife that wintered in Yuma so that is how I got started with some things over there, mostly 4 wheeling then hikes off that.
Then it's the "border" fears, for the far southern parts. There aren't a lot of published trails in certain areas but the desert is open and easily oriented so why do you need one?? I love hiking around the Tinaja Altas, Cabeza Prieta, Agua Dulce mtn areas.
Sycamore Canyon in the Parajita wilderness is fabulous but it is just a taste of what that whole area can offer, and not the prettiest. People go there because they read a guide book and figure that gives it an acceptable safety or coolness, or easy factor. They don't look at a map and do anything else.
I want to do more in the Bagdad/Burro Creek area for sure.

nonot

Post by nonot » Dec 25 2015 5:33 am

RedRoxx44 wrote:There aren't a lot of published trails in certain areas but the desert is open and easily oriented so why do you need one??

While not necessary, a trail is usually easier to travel on packed dirt, rather than through loose sand and cactus. Off trail trips are often fun, but usually require a bit more navigation skill and physical effort than on trail hikes, which will deter casual hikers.
RedRoxx44 wrote:I want to do more in the Bagdad/Burro Creek area for sure.
Same here, from the Google Earth views, it looks like a fantastic area. The triplogs though seem disappointed.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

kingsnake
City, State: Sunnyslope, PHX

Post by kingsnake » Dec 25 2015 6:21 am

nonot: I've done several hikes in the western outback where hiking cross country was easier than on a trail as the surface was compacted over the ages, rather than torn up by foot or wheel travel. :)
http://prestonm.com : Everyone's enjoyment of the outdoors is different and should be equally honored.

CannondaleKid
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by CannondaleKid » Dec 25 2015 7:19 am

gummo wrote:no Walmarts
Cool! One more reason in FAVOR of hiking out that way. :y:
kingsnake wrote:the surface was compacted over the ages, rather than torn up by foot or wheel travel
Was it still that way after you passed through? ;)
CannondaleKid

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 25 2015 7:50 pm

@te-wa
Do you mean I - 19? Or some other road # 19? I don't consider 19 to be western at all.

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 25 2015 10:16 pm

@Jim_H
That confused me, too. We're not talking about Sycamore Canyon or Baboquivari area. We're talking Muggins, Kofas, on up to Hualapais, Wabayuma, Mt. Nutt Wilderness, etc. etc. Plenty of hiking, and there are a number of meetups and hiking clubs as well. Sierra Club Desert Peaks Section placed all the registers some years ago, and most of them are still there, with few names in them.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians

rcorfman

Post by rcorfman » Dec 25 2015 10:40 pm

I just figured he meant the 15 and the Virgin River area, but what do I know.
Go find a LonelyCache

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » Dec 26 2015 7:38 am

@rcorfman
I think he was bloviating on purpose, just being a :pk:

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Dec 26 2015 8:14 pm

Babo is far, far from the 15, too.

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Dec 26 2015 8:28 pm

It's Mike, posting at 11:06 pm. The next time he reads it will probably be the first time ;)

I'm a huge te-wa fan so it's not mean :)
- joe

Return to “Trail Chat”