Beef Jerky recipe

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Trishness
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ

Beef Jerky recipe

Post by Trishness » Oct 09 2005 9:53 am

This is my own recipe for beef jerky. I prefer it over the store brands because you can control the amount of sodium and other spices in it. Whenever I bring this along on a trip and share it, I'm always asked for the recipe so here it is!

Trish’s Beef Jerky

3-5 lbs London Broil or Top Sirloin Roast, slice into 1/8” strips
Just ask the butcher to slice it for you. I usually tell him I'm making jerky

Brine:
½ cup teriyaki or low sodium soy sauce
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
½ cup Flat Tire beer (Sam Adams or Guiness Stout work too)
2 Tbsps minced garlic
1 small onion, finely minced
2 Tbsps Liquid Smoke
3 Tbsps brown sugar
1 Tbsp Tabasco sauce (optional)

Dry Rub:
2 Tbsps fresh ground black pepper
2 Tbsps ground coriander seed
2 Tbsps Kosher salt
2 Tbsps summer savory
2 Tbsps oregano or thyme
Red pepper flakes (optional)

Trim ALL fat from meat. If you dry the meat with fat attached it will turn rancid!
Mix teriyaki or soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, beer, garlic, onion, Liquid smoke, brown sugar and Tabasco sauce in a large bowl. Throw meat and brine into a large Ziploc bag and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 24 hours. Mix dry herbs and spices and set aside. After meat has marinated for 24 hours, remove from brine and place in a single layer on racks, sprinkle sparsely with dry herb mix. Dry on racks according to Dehydrator directions. I have a Snackmaster Jr and it usually takes about 5-6 hours.

I prefer my jerky more smoky & peppery than hot and spicy. If you like it spicier, add more Tabasco, some hot paprika, or habanero pepper sauce. The spices aren’t set in stone. Play around with them and add/delete others to suit your taste.
Trish-Kabob

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds" Ed Abbey

Return to “Recipe Archive”