Photosensitive emulsion: History still on sale!

Camera, Lens, Video & Software

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none

Think you'll ever buy any film camera equipement in the future?

No!
79%
Yes!
21%

Total votes: 95

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Photosensitive emulsion: History still on sale!

Post by joebartels » May 25 2006 8:52 pm

Thursday, May 25, 2006 Reuters:
Canon considers halt to film camera development
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Photosensitive emulsion: History still on sale!

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jun 07 2006 9:38 am

Film is unique and should always be around, especially at the professional level. My concern with digital is the storage mediums. How will current images stored on magnetic disks convert to new formats in the future (optical disks? holographic disks?). Film, especially black & white stands the test of time.

But there are some major changes at the professional level that signal dramatic change.
1) Hasselblad with the H2D-39 in the medium format category. This entry into the professional arena is an incredible shift.
http://www.hasselblad.co.uk/index.asp?p ... temId=3849

2) The Canon EOS 5D with its full-frame CMOS sensor. This puts dSLR on a par with 35mm.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082 ... neos5d.asp

Most publications want digital so that they don't have to convert film to digital. I don't believe that Arizona Highways has gone digital, but until about a month or two ago, AZ Highways had not accepted 35mm, only medium and large format. Times change. Large & medium formats actually speak a different language, Can you say auto-Schleimpflug :?: (that's the extent of my knowledge of these formats :lol: )

Dschur
City, State: Payson, AZ

Re: Photosensitive emulsion: History still on sale!

Post by Dschur » Jun 07 2006 4:25 pm

In response to al1inaz's reply: Professional market has already shifted. Many of the newspaper are digital now. Professional sport photographers are taking digital. Wedding photographers are all doing digital, magazines are too. Some of the ones that my husband publish in are almost all in digital. Even the magazines for photography are changing their names to ones with imaging in it instead of photography only. One that had been a major part of photography "PETERSONS PHOTOGRAPHIC" stopped in Nov of 2005. Have you looked at the film selection in your local grocery store or drug store? Try to find a camera store. We have known of a couple in the valley that have closed that has been around forever it seemed. Even TV will be that way in the near future. Kodak used to produce a major film for the astronomy section, all the major observatories had used it and many amateur astrophotographers too, they have stopped making it since all the astronomy community has gone digital with CCD cameras.
Dawn
--On the loose to climb a mountain, on the loose where I am free. On the loose to live my life the way I think my life should be...For we only have a moment and a whole world yet to see...I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose. ---unknown--

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Post by Hoffmaster » Jun 07 2006 5:18 pm

This is the most depressing forum I have ever read. :( :( :(
Long live film!!!!!
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

PrestonSands
City, State: Oro Valley, AZ

Post by PrestonSands » Jun 07 2006 11:05 pm

In response to Matt Hoffman's reply: Amen, Matt! Long live film! 8)
"I'm going for a coffee, but you never know when a hike might break out." -Jim Gaffigan

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jun 12 2006 5:37 pm

Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Jun 12 2006 8:43 pm

In response to joe bartels' reply:
OK I read it, but I'm not sure I understand - tell me how they keep my big fat belly out of the 360? :?: Is it over my head? Do I lay down under the camera? :x

I had hoped my 100th post would have been more wise, enlightening & enlightened than this, but I guess it is what it is. :lol:

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Jun 12 2006 8:52 pm

Judging by the graphic
I believe you hold it above your head?
Which means looking into the viewfinder would be looking... UP!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jun 12 2006 10:19 pm

joe bartels wrote: I believe you hold it above your head?
Which means looking into the viewfinder would be looking... UP!
Which puts you at risk of falling over backwards and clunking your head. At least that's what feels about to happen when I look straight up.

Return to “Photography”