Camera, Lens, Video & Software

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
paulhubbard
City, State: Mesa, AZ

"Okay" camera vs. "GREAT" camera

Post by paulhubbard » Oct 13 2010 10:12 pm

Just got my Nikon D3100 and without even reading the instructions I snapped a photo of Red Mountain to compare it to the same photo taken with my Coolpix camera. Coolpix is "doctored" with Paintshop Pro, the D3100 is untouced.

Coolpix:

D3100:

Bottom line? Get a good camera!!! I'm going to have WAY too much fun with this!!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

skatchkins

Re: "Okay" camera vs. "GREAT" camera

Post by skatchkins » Jul 01 2014 6:23 pm

My work here is done :)
And ooo look here's a fresh new page.
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jul 02 2014 8:22 am

iPhone interchangeable lenses

I'm not a fan of these after market "kits", just sharing. In one comment you can see how some dig into it.
The macro lens could really use a "ring light" to take care of the shadow created by the case
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

skatchkins

Post by skatchkins » Jul 02 2014 9:32 am

joe bartels wrote:iPhone interchangeable lenses
I think that falls in the middle of the orange here:
gear.png
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 02 2014 9:45 am

@skatchkins
:sl:
Highway to hell

paulhubbard

Post by paulhubbard » Jul 02 2014 10:04 pm

Posted [almost] identical photos from 3 diffent cameras - a cheapy PnS (Nikon Coolpix), an entry level DSLR (Nikon D3100), amd a high end full frame (Sony a99). you be the judge, do I suck or is it just the camera? :)
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

New2hyk
City, State: scottsdale, AZ

Post by New2hyk » Jul 03 2014 10:40 am

I took b&w photography classed during my undergrad years in 80's. I borrowed a Nikon manual camera from my then room mate since I could not afford one. I used to spend tons of hours in dark room developing the photographs with perfection. I think behind every good photograph is a skill set of the person(including lot of patience and time), a good camera and pure luck :) The photographs I thought would turn out well at the time of the shoot often were not the ones that turned out well :D Ironic.
My teacher said that the lifespan of the photos were 10 years. Mine still look great and hang on the walls of my guest room :y:
Now my needs are different, and I am looking for simple camera that is not too heavy, has wifi and can take decent photographs of wild life.
I am travelling next week and wanted to buy one this week. Went with Nikon coolpix P600 and bought it at best buy(bundle with extra battery,tripod,case and 32gb memory card) with 3 year warranty.total 663.10. It would have been $50 cheaper on amazon but time is a factor here. I also prefer to take things in person for repairs than mailing them to amazon. Getting service at Best buy was like pullling teeth. There were more people working there than customers and it took lot of effort on my part to get any service.
So far, the wifi is ridiculously slow and I can't even connect to my iphone. Ipad connects sometimes but not always. Photos are so so..when I get a chance, I will post a picture or two.

RowdyandMe
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Jul 03 2014 4:03 pm

Well I have Nikon S9500 which I really liked. It took great pictures now sometimes lighting was a issue. That was some thing that bother me. Sometimes I would have to raise my camera then lower it to get a picture thats not to dark. And this would happen with the sun shining directly on my subject at noon in August with zero shade.
So I am also looking at a Sony WX350.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jul 04 2014 12:00 am

New2hyk wrote:So far, the wifi is ridiculously slow and I can't even connect to my iphone. Ipad connects sometimes but not always.
Why doesn't that surprise me? I think the GPS and Wifi on these Cameras are just Gimmicks....
New2hyk wrote:Photos are so so..
It takes awhile to get to know a New Camera...I wasn't very impressed with the P510 at first either, but Time and a few In-Camera Adjustments were all I needed and I've been pretty happy considering the LImitations of a Point and Shoot.... ;)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Paintninaz
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Paintninaz » Jul 04 2014 8:33 am

Are there any recommendations for a waterproof camera? I've had a couple of the older Pentax ones (w20, I think, and w80) and was not pressed with either. I want one for an upcoming rafting trip.

I have a Canon Powershot SX260HS that I'm happy enough with for dry conditions, though I find the GPS to take way too long to work and drains the battery way too fast, so I don't bother. I agree with Outdoor Lover, I think the feature is more gimmick than useful (but thought that before O bought it; I liked the other features of the camera though and bought it based on those :-))
Paintninaz

The_Eagle
City, State: Far NE Phoenix, Az

Post by The_Eagle » Jul 04 2014 9:42 am

@Paintninaz
Here are a couple of different comparisons of the many out there
http://waterproof-camera-review.toptenreviews.com/
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-1 ... 2014-17302
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Dave Barry

CannondaleKid

Post by CannondaleKid » Jul 04 2014 12:18 pm

Paintninaz wrote:Are there any recommendations for a waterproof camera?
I've got an Olympus TG-2 and other than only a 4x zoom I am very happy with it. I'm quite impressed with underwater filming, especially how well it picks up the sound.
Oh yeah, the manual says to place it underwater for a few minutes after each use to keep the seals soft. After ruining a number of cameras by dunking in water I found it hard to purposely dunk it, but I have since gotten used to doing just that.
If I was to buy another one today, I'd go with the TG-3.
Paintninaz wrote:I have a Canon Powershot SX260HS that I'm happy enough with for dry conditions, though I find the GPS to take way too long to work and drains the battery way too fast, so I don't bother.
I agree the GPS is a bit slow but as long as I didn't forget and leave the GPS logging on between hikes, I didn't have issues with the battery charge... I'd easily get 200 photos and a number of videos over an 8-10 hour hike on one charge.

Although I continue to geocode my photos with external software (using the hike track from my Garmin GPS) I still enable the GPS logging on the Olympus to make use of the feature which tells which direction I was facing when taking each photo. Whenever there is a decent signal (not in deep canyons, etc.) I've found the direction to be quite accurate.

BTW, if the GPS logging is left on when not using the Olympus, the battery WILL run dead within 24-36 hours. Again, all I have to do is remember to shut it off when I return from hikes. Yeah right, if only I had a working memory.. ;)
CannondaleKid

New2hyk

Post by New2hyk » Jul 04 2014 4:56 pm

Here are some birds & bees with NikonP600
Attachments
image.jpg

New2hyk

Post by New2hyk » Jul 04 2014 5:00 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
More
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

New2hyk

Post by New2hyk » Jul 04 2014 5:03 pm

Flowers
image.jpg
image.jpg
Flowers
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Tortoise_Hiker

Post by Tortoise_Hiker » Jul 05 2014 10:19 am

@Paintninaz
I have an Olympus Tough. I suck with a camera but I'm ok with that :) . I didn't do good with it underwater. I don't touch my photos at all. I think for your rafting it would be great. I carry mine in my pocket on a lot of hikes rain snow or shine and it's been fine. I just hiked Mt. Whitney and Humphreys with it and posted a few pictures if you wanted to look at them and see what you think.
Tortoise Hiking. Stop and smell the Petrichor.

outdoor_lover
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Jul 05 2014 4:53 pm

@Paintninaz
I would NOT recommend the Panasonic DMC TS25...Although it's Waterproof, I was disappointed in relation to the Money I spent...It takes "ok" Photos, but the Lens Fogging Issue is very frustrating and apparently it's normal...Water also doesn't "sheet off" the Lens very well and collects at the bottom of the Lens on the Outside....Even though I did a lot of Research, I certainly have some Buyer's Regret on this one....But, it will have to do and I'll make the best of it while I have it...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

wha
City, State: Arizona

Post by wha » Jul 05 2014 5:12 pm

dpreview also has some comparison reviews of of rugged/waterproof cameras. One from 2013 with some models still current, and the most recent from last month.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2013-waterproof-roundup
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/249126 ... ra-roundup

Timknorr
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by Timknorr » Jul 05 2014 6:11 pm

I love the Canon G15, it is a powershot so very compact and versatile. It has amazing image quality and setting controls. Its basically a DSL without the lens capability. It even shoots video in Hi-def and slow motion. Great Camera.

gummo
City, State: mesa

Post by gummo » Jul 05 2014 7:42 pm

Timknorr wrote:I love the Canon G15, it is a powershot so very compact and versatile. It has amazing image quality and setting controls. Its basically a DSL without the lens capability. It even shoots video in Hi-def and slow motion. Great Camera.
Sold. My camera is held together by duct tape right now. :/

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jul 06 2014 12:15 am

@gummo
Was it attacked by a rabid animal while capturing a macro shot of it's nose hair? ;)
Highway to hell

Return to “Photography”