Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
paulhubbard
Harley Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

"Okay" camera vs. "GREAT" camera

Post by paulhubbard » Oct 13 2010 10:12 pm

Just got my Nikon D3100 and without even reading the instructions I snapped a photo of Red Mountain to compare it to the same photo taken with my Coolpix camera. Coolpix is "doctored" with Paintshop Pro, the D3100 is untouced.

Coolpix:

D3100:

Bottom line? Get a good camera!!! I'm going to have WAY too much fun with this!!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

gummo
Legless Lizard Kopelli
City, State: mesa

Re: "Okay" camera vs. "GREAT" camera

Post by gummo » Jul 06 2014 6:59 pm

chumley wrote:@gummo
Was it attacked by a rabid animal while capturing a macro shot of it's nose hair? ;)
Let's just say my new invention, the Cammar (the camera that's also a hammar) won't be making me rich anytime soon.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Deer Valley, AZ

Post by RowdyandMe » Aug 10 2014 6:55 pm

I should have my new Nikon S9700 before my next hike.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Aug 12 2014 7:12 pm

So can anyone tell what would be the best setting for outdoor wildlife. It is a point and shoot camera with +30 zoom.
Rowdy and Widowmaker

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli
City, State: Apache Junction, AZ.

Post by AZLumberjack » Aug 13 2014 5:22 am

@Widowmaker
Keep ISO at a low value (100 or 200) for best photo quality,
Go with lowest f-value to keep shutter speeds fast,
Set White Balance to "cloudy" for better color,
Set color to "vivid" for optimum coloring,
Set the camera for the highest quality JPG photo,
Keep camera steady when going to max zoom.

That should be enough for starters, good luck :budrose:
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Aug 13 2014 5:53 am

@mnlumberjack
Thanks for the information
Rowdy and Widowmaker

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Sep 28 2014 4:47 am

Sony is doing well with the A7 line up of full frame mirrorless cameras, the newest offering, the A7s is very intriguing. Pixel count decreased to 12 , but apparently large individuals pixels on the chip. The kicker is the crazy ISO it is capable of ---see this video shot only in moonlight. This camera is expensive but as with most things, will come down in the future as the latest and greatest comes out.

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/20/sony-a7 ... ured-dawn/

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli

Post by AZLumberjack » Sep 28 2014 5:23 am

RedRoxx44 wrote:This camera is expensive but as with most things, will come down in the future as the latest and greatest comes out.
But the latest & greatest are so much better by that time that this one is old hat now.....can't win, gotta just bite the bullet and look for the best deal :?
On every trip into the Superstitions, I find another Gold Mine. Today the mine was filled with Memories. I can not wait for the next trip.

JoelHazelton
Luminosopelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by JoelHazelton » Sep 29 2014 12:16 pm

@RedRoxx44
I'm planning to purchase a Sony A7 next spring, A7r if I can save enough money. Did the math, with my typical tax return, plus selling current gear and an miniscule amount of savings, an A7, Canon/Sony lens converter, canon 17-40 and canon 24-105 will be very attainable. I've heard amazing things about the Sony sensor. It sounds like the Alpha full-frame mirrorless series is falling short in terms of user-friendliness, but I'm adaptable with that sort of thing, especially if it means a 24mp full-frame sensor for ~$1,500, or a 36mp full-frame sensor for ~$2k.

As far as the A7s- that doesn't seem like a very good landscape rig. It sounds like, minus the slow autofocus, it's probably geared more toward action sports, especially with the high ISO performance. I can't imagine many landscape photographers will buy into a 12mp sensor, even if the pixels are reportedly larger.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli

Post by AZLumberjack » Sep 30 2014 5:40 am

@azpride
Been watching the Sony series for some time now, they're definitely breaking new ground with each camera they introduce. I'm not able anymore to make the thousand plus dollar investments in photo gear so I have to make do with shopping out the best deals around (thus my Canon EOS M).

I'm envious of your choice and will be looking forward to seeing some spectacular shots posted here and on your site :)

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli

Post by RedRoxx44 » Sep 30 2014 3:31 pm

Monday was able to see some actual prints from an A7s--- has a definite medium format look, post processing was the usual tweaking nothing extreme. Low light stills were nice as you would expect. Cropping is not where you want to go with this camera as there isn't enough detail for super large printing. I think I was looking at several 16 X 12 and looked definitely hangable on the wall stuff. But it's way too expensive and will be a niche camera for sony. FYI --Sony has come out with a 50 MP chip for I think video cameras only at this time.

PhilMW
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by PhilMW » Sep 30 2014 3:58 pm

RedRoxx44 wrote:FYI --Sony has come out with a 50 MP chip for I think video cameras only at this time.
That's a pointless amount of pixels for video. 5 MP is more than 1080, and 18 is more than digital 4k. The only reason to have more than 20 MP would be for doing high quality prints or for freedom to crop.

Anyways, have fun with your A7s. Sounds like it's doing you well. As for the prints, do you think it's the camera, or the lens you are using? It does have a full frame sensor, though I suppose it's pixel count is a bit low for doing large prints.

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli

Post by RedRoxx44 » Oct 01 2014 3:43 pm

@PhilMW
I don't have that camera, have a friend of a friend that does. He does a lot of Japan, China trips so gets to try a few cameras before they hit US market; he's a photo journalist. Too much dinero for me who likes to just about trash every camera I've had even when I take care of it. I have no idea what the lens was, one of the primes I think.

Azbackcountry
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Az

Post by Azbackcountry » Oct 01 2014 4:13 pm

I have a Canon D7 but have absolutely no clue on how to properly use it. I wish I could and was willing to learn how to properly use it, but all this mumbo jumbo about apertures and f stops and all that crap i find boring and quite frankly, confuse the ever loving poo out of me :?

PhilMW
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by PhilMW » Oct 02 2014 10:09 am

RedRoxx44 wrote:@PhilMW
I don't have that camera, have a friend of a friend that does. He does a lot of Japan, China trips so gets to try a few cameras before they hit US market; he's a photo journalist. Too much dinero for me who likes to just about trash every camera I've had even when I take care of it. I have no idea what the lens was, one of the primes I think.
Ahh,I guess it would be helpful if I actually read further up the posts. That's an awesome job your friend of a friend has.
Azbackcountry wrote:I have a Canon D7 but have absolutely no clue on how to properly use it. I wish I could and was willing to learn how to properly use it, but all this mumbo jumbo about apertures and f stops and all that crap i find boring and quite frankly, confuse the ever loving pumpkin out of me :?
I'll admit, I a geek, especially when it comes to cameras, so I love getting into all of the tech talk. The 7D is a nice camera I must say.

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Mar 29 2016 2:25 pm

I am now in the market for a photography camera and have been looking at the mirrorless. There is so much information out there but I'm leaning toward the Sony a6000 because I'm not in the pro league, don't want to be, but would like to improve my photo skills. My problem is the same I've had most of my life with cameras, I struggle with the terminology.

Nonetheless, I want to give it a go; after all, I hike and hangout with Ambika (despite her shooting my ZS40 lens into the whip cream after dinner one nite :lol: ) and we're going on some photo workshops (I got a great discount). I don't think I should show up with my little ZS50.

So does anyone have opinions on mirrorless cameras for shooting landscape and nature for someone like me? and keeping the cost of the camera around $1k with a lens.

I appreciate your time,
Tibber

Oh and I need a viewfinder.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

RowdyandMe
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by RowdyandMe » Mar 29 2016 3:38 pm

@tibber
does it come with its own selfie stick?
Rowdy and Widowmaker

AZLumberjack
Gopher State Kokopelli

Post by AZLumberjack » Mar 29 2016 4:53 pm

@tibber
That Sony's a great camera, I've been to Best Buy checking it out on several occasions (you should too) however the main reason I didn't buy it is purely because it doesn't have a touchscreen. I got spoiled with my little Canon EOS M and can't do without one any more. So now I have a Samsung NX500 with a touchscreen and starting a new love affair with it.

There's several mirrorless camera's on the market now so lots of homework to do ahead of time....... research em all.

ssk44
Explorerkopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ssk44 » Mar 29 2016 6:49 pm

tibber wrote:So does anyone have opinions on mirrorless cameras for shooting landscape and nature for someone like me? and keeping the cost of the camera around $1k with a lens. Oh and I need a viewfinder.
Angela, don't bother with mirrorless models.. There nice and compact if you don't need a viewfinder. You can always get an accessary electronic viewfinder but they're very hard on the battery. I would stick with an APS-C Canon DSLR. I personal love upgrade Rebel models. There lightweight and wonderfully user friendly. The new consumer Canon STM lens are amazing and work great for video shooting. The STM lenses are lightweight, very sharp edge to edge, have blazingly fast accurate auto focus, great color/contrast, and excellent image stabilization. Don't ask me why there so affordable. In my humble opinion your choice is a no brainer.. Purchase a readily available prior model Canon Rebel T5i with the EF-S 18-55 STM kit lens. There only $600. The current model is the T6i (don't be tempted). The T5i is an excellent camera. For your telephoto shooting which I know you love, purchase an EF-S 55-250 STM lens to go with it. That is an amazing lens that only costs $300. Technical review tell the story far better then I can on this post. I personal use one on my Rebel SL1. Total cost for both is only $900. That's the best $900 you'll ever spent.

This part gets a little techy but here we go.. You may or may not be familiar with crop-factor yet. All cameras other then 35mm full-frame pro cameras (Canon 5D and 6D) have a crop factor. Even your current point & shoot camera has a crop factor. The amount of crop-factor depends on the size of your sensor. APS-C crop-factor is 1.6 so the 18-55mm kit lens has an equivalent focal length range of about 29-88mm. On APS-C always multiply the actual lens focal length on the lens by 1.6 to get the equivalent focal length that the camera sensor is seeing. The 55-250mm lens that I'm recommending has an equivalent focal length range of 88-400mm. 400mm may not seem like much compared to your super zoom P&S camera. That's just the way it is on advanced cameras with better glass. The lenses get huge the longer you go. 400mm is actually fairly long on a DSLR.

That's my recommendation. I'm no professional but I know my way around a camera. I've learned a lot over the last few years. This is just my opinion. I'm also an unashamed Canon fan and always will be. I love Rebel cameras and I suspect you would also. You will get many different opinions and views on this subject. Its hard to weed through it all.. Some are very valid helpful opinions from experience photographers. Some not so much.. That's a nice way of putting that. Advanced photography can seem overwhelming and confusing. There's so much to learn but its worth the effort.. Just take it one step at a time and be careful whom you listen to. It sounds like you're starting out right.

Eric

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... l_t5i.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... _6_is.html
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Mar 29 2016 7:02 pm

my 2 favorite mirrorless models are the iPhone & Samsung Note
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

ssk44