Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
paulhubbard
Harley Kokopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ

"Okay" camera vs. "GREAT" camera

Post by paulhubbard » Oct 13 2010 10:12 pm

Just got my Nikon D3100 and without even reading the instructions I snapped a photo of Red Mountain to compare it to the same photo taken with my Coolpix camera. Coolpix is "doctored" with Paintshop Pro, the D3100 is untouced.

Coolpix:

D3100:

Bottom line? Get a good camera!!! I'm going to have WAY too much fun with this!!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: "Okay" camera vs. "GREAT" camera

Post by tibber » Mar 29 2016 7:15 pm

joebartels wrote:my 2 favorite mirrorless models are the iPhone & Samsung Note
and would you show up for an Arizona Highways photo workshop with one of those mirrorless? ;) and I do already have one: Kemosabe; altho I'm not skilled at taking photos with it.

I do have to say I am so impressed with the quality of those mirrorless phone cameras. Some of you really take some incredible pics.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Mar 29 2016 8:12 pm

tibber wrote:would you show up for an Arizona Highways photo workshop with one of those mirrorless?
as long as it's not competitive :lol:
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

ssk44
Explorerkopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ssk44 » Mar 29 2016 8:41 pm

In defence of the mirrorless cround I must say that optical viewfinders on mirrored DSLR cameras are literally worthless. They don't show you what the camera is seeing digitally.. Dinamic range, brightness/contrast, and color.. All it's showing you is what the lens sees. Your looking straight through the lens. Only an electronic viewfinder found on mirrorless cameras will show you what the camera is seeing. That's the difficult trade off. I shoot 100% of the time in Live View. I only use my optical viewfinder for scouting scenes.. Composition and such. Shooting in Live View during typical early morning and late evening light is not overly difficult because of the low sun angle. It still takes some practice.. You get a feel for it and exposure bracketing keeps you out of trouble. Shooting with a viewfinder is not always preferred either. Shot setup angle can be a real pain in the a#%. Both ways of shooting have there advantages and disadvantages. I still recommend mirrored Canon cameras overall. I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. My opinion of course..
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Mar 29 2016 9:02 pm

Sometimes I consider not buying a new camera if mine ever breaks. Do we really need more redundant images I happened to take, posted to HAZ? I don't know, but Okay would suffice for me given that people with iPhone 6s seem to have better pixelation than I do with my 9 year old Power Shot A 550.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Mar 29 2016 9:06 pm

Thx Eric for your thoughtful remarks and guidance. I think we did this back when I got Tonto Jr... I didn't go for the Subaru though ;) . Anyway, I will review what you've said even though I'm leaning toward the mirrorless just like I was the CX-5.

Either way, both decisions are difficult but I think getting Tonto Jr was a more clear cut choice. On a side note, I do have to say all of the negatives about the CX-5 are indeed that but so were all the positives which outweighed the negative by quite a bit.

ssk44
Explorerkopelli

Post by ssk44 » Mar 29 2016 9:24 pm

@tibber
Stay focused.. We're talking about cameras this time. ;)

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Mar 29 2016 9:31 pm

For some reason, seeing the word "negative" on a camera thread makes me itch.

jochal
Joe Joe Superstar

Post by jochal » Mar 29 2016 10:20 pm

I recently bought a mirrorless and like it quite a bit. I wasn't in the market for a mirrorless, but wanted something for scuba diving and realized I could get a nikon 1 j4 (discontinued) and the accompanying waterproof case for the price of a gopro. It will be what I take hiking whenever I get to do that again. I'll still use a dslr for other stuff, but the convenience of the mirrorless for hiking is too much to pass up.

If I had been in the market for a mirrorless for the usual reason, I would probably have looked at sony the most. They have a lot of fans, and probably will support the market for a while, whereas other manufacturers, such as nikon, have unpredictable futures in mirrorless.

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Mar 30 2016 10:43 am

I think if you want to go Mirrorless right now, then Sony would be the Choice. They've been in the Mirrorless business long enough to where they have got most of the Bugs worked out....A lot of people love their A6000s and do very well with them and they are a little nicer for Hiking than a Full DSLR Body would be. Without Researching the Cameras myself, my Question to you would be...Are you also going to use it for your Video as well? I do know how much you like to shoot Video. What's the Quality of Video with that Model or are you going to try to carry your Panasonic as well?

The Micro 4/3 Market is coming on strong and they are pretty darn nice Cameras as well...However, they are still new enough that they are Spendy, with the Lenses (the few they have) being more expensive than the Camera. They are Mirrorless as well, but are even smaller since the Sensor is smaller....

The Biggest Complaint that I see coming from the Sony Crowd, is that the Sonys are difficult to learn, difficult to use and not very user friendly. However, you have the Option to also Shoot Canon or Nikon Lenses with them if you purchase an Adapter...

My Suggestion? Rent one for a few days and go out and shoot the crap out of it and see what you think...Then make a Decision... :)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Mar 30 2016 11:21 am

Outdoor Lover wrote:The Micro 4/3 Market is coming on strong
I bought an Olympus E-PM2 last year as my intro to a better camera. There was no point in me getting a full body DSLR because I know for sure I'm never going to carry that big of a camera anywhere I go.

But there were plenty of tradeoffs. All-in-all, I'm happy with the camera (though I still barely know how to use it). It gives me all the options to learn how the various settings work, and is especially fun when I have to waste time in low-light situations while hanging out with real photographers.

I was able to get a kit with two lenses at a great price. Though I've found that the zoom isn't as much as I'd hoped for the size of the lens, and while the small lens is fine, but I'd prefer a wider angle. The PM2 isn't made anymore, and the current PM5 doesn't appear to be available with any two lens kits. And as Pam said, additional micro four third lenses are prohibitively expensive right now.

As for video, I've never tried it because quite honestly, I always have my iPhone with me anyway, and it takes video far better than I would ever imagine, so I wouldn't ever consider using the PM2 for video.

===
Reviews and recommendations aside, I'd be hesitant to "rush" into a camera purchase because of a photo workshop I'd signed up for. (Perhaps depending on how much the workshop costs?). The workshop might be the best place to learn exactly what camera you actually should buy for yourself based on what other participants are using. People will probably have good advice for you and let you take a hand-on test drive for yourself.

If you current camera doesn't have the manual features necessary for you to get a lot out of your workshop, you might consider borrowing (or renting?) a camera just for the workshop. Cameras are expensive and should last a long time. It's good to make a decision you will be happy with.

PS Is it already determined what it's name will be? :-k
Ja vi elsker dette landet

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Mar 30 2016 1:21 pm

thx again everyone for sharing. I'm still researching and learning terms. I don't want this new camera for hiking but really for photography or a scenic hike for photography kind of thing. It is an investment I plan to keep for awhile especially as I wind down my career and have more free time on my hands.
I will take movies with my ZS50 and use it for most of my hiking (actually would already like the new version ZS60 but it will have to wait).

I am taking Eric up on his idea of a beginner dslr too so I've created my side by side comparisons of both types of camera.

Last, I emailed Ambika since she is my cohort in crime to maybe lean toward a less expensive option of what she has so that she can work with me on learning one of these fancy cameras. It's really always something I've wanted to do but was too intimidated by the terminology to try. Science has never been my strong point.

And you're probably right, I should rent first but knowing me, everything I try I'll like or find issues I don't like and then I'm back at square one. And you're probably right, I shouldn't buy a fancy camera just for a photo workshop but nonetheless, I can't show up with my ZS50. I do think dropping by a store and getting a closer look at a couple of the ones I like is probably a good idea too. I'll figure out something.... and so, the saga continues.

Interestingly enough, I have never named my cameras; seems rather odd for me doesn't it?!

RedRoxx44
Pic·tur·esque·pelli
City, State: outside, anywhere

Post by RedRoxx44 » Mar 30 2016 1:41 pm

Great pics= more photographer than camera.
Medium price if you go ebay or amazon used-- Sony A6000 with 10-24 mm lens ( I like wide angles)
Fujifilm XT-1 body, Fujifilm XE-1 that body goes for 200 bucks used.
The Sony is very light which is good for back packing. The Fuji is a little heavier and bulkier but the Xtrans sensor is really nice.
My favorite all time lens is a micro 4/3rds panny 7-14, ultra wide but sharp and for me some of my best pics have come from that lens coupled with an oly camera. Panasonic now has the GX-8, a 20 mp micro 4/3rd deal, yes the sensor is still smaller vs the APS-C cameras.
My sony A7r2 is in the shop with shutter sticking problem. Really too much camera for me but as a gift I will try to learn to use it well.
Certainly lots to choose from, and if you go second hand you can get a good deal.

ssk44
Explorerkopelli

Post by ssk44 » Mar 30 2016 3:09 pm

chumley wrote:While hanging out with real photographers.
This guy? I don't know.. He looks a little shady to me. ;)

http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=320030
http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=320029

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Mar 30 2016 3:11 pm

tibber
Huckleberry Picapelli

Post by tibber » Apr 18 2016 3:19 pm

okay, I'm sure you've all been dying to know, what did I get? After hours of Rx and video watching and conversing with Eric and Ambika I went with the Canon T6s. I saved a little money by getting an OB via Adorama. Couldn't figure out why it was $100 cheaper than everywhere else until I went to check out and came across the OB. After discussing it with Ambika and knowing that Adorama is a good company (at least they have been with me in the past), I took advantage.

Ambika had me out at Boyce Thompson on Sunday morning helping me to learn to shoot photos with the new camera. I have to tell ya, having to line up all that stuff is like trying to remember all the things you need to do before shooting a golf ball 8-[ ..... are you ready for the name of myfirst named camera? It's really quite obvious and you HAZers, I think Joe in particular, are responsible. I had to name it to set up my connection with Kemosabe.

Anyway, thanks for all of your input. This camera is not for hiking but for the "enthusiast photographer" in me.

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Apr 18 2016 3:22 pm

tibber wrote:like trying to remember all the things you need to do before shooting a golf ball
practice. muscle memory. you don't even think about any of it. it just happens. takes a while to get to that point though!

CannondaleKid
Soap Box Kopelli

Post by CannondaleKid » Apr 18 2016 6:59 pm

tibber wrote:shooting a golf ball
Huh?
Oh wait, that's easy... pull, aim and fire! :gun:
CannondaleKid

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Apr 18 2016 8:24 pm

I've wanted to shoot a golf ball once or twice, but I couldn't find it.

Return to “Photography”