Help! EXIF data doesn't seem to save ...

Camera, Lens, Video & Software

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
paulshikleejr
Mick Dowelopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Help! EXIF data doesn't seem to save ...

Post by paulshikleejr » Apr 01 2013 7:46 pm

I hope someone can tell me how to fix or work around this issue I'm having with EXIF data.

The camera that generated the photos I'm struggling with is an iPhone 4S.

When the photo is loaded onto my MacBook Pro (running OS X Version 10.8.3) into the iPhoto app, it shows that there is data on when the photo was taken (see the first attached image).
Screen Shot 2013-04-01 at 7.20.02 PM.png
I export to a folder using max quality and full size (see second image).
Screen Shot 2013-04-01 at 7.28.09 PM.png
I use A Better Finder Attributes 5 (Trial) to fix the created and modified dates on the *.jpgs to the EXIF date so the photos will automatically line up correctly in the photoset (if I don't fix the created and modified dates, the created and modified time/date stamps are the time and date I exported from iPhoto to the Finder folder.

I'm working on 55 photos and 53 photos processed easily.

However two photos, including IMG_2596, apparently don't have EXIF data and the app won't let me add it in (see third image).
Screen Shot 2013-04-01 at 7.21.15 PM.png
I've exported IMG_2596 four or five times and the EXIF "shot on" data never comes down.

Is there better software out there (even if it costs a few bucks) that will add EXIF info?

I guess the ultimate fall back is manual placement of the photo during the upload to HAZ process and then dropping in the GPS coordinates by hand (@Joe, will what I say work?) and I'm lucky it's only two images, but I'd rather know how to do this so HAZ can process automatically.

Thank you!
Decisionmaking and action should only be informed by, not subject to, healthy, reasonable concern.
That being said, anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.

joebartels
teva joe
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Help! EXIF data doesn't seem to save ...

Post by joebartels » Apr 01 2013 7:57 pm

you can manually place the photos with Geocode by Map found to the left of "Scan GPS Route Geocoding Opportunities"

is there anything special about those two photos?
ie: pano shots and the rest are not or such
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Apr 01 2013 8:49 pm

paulshikleejr wrote:if I don't fix the created and modified dates, the created and modified time/date stamps are the time and date I exported from iPhoto to the Finder folder.
I have an iPhone 4s and use iPhoto to export my photos before uploading them to HAZ. I've never had a problem with the time/date stamp of when the photo was taken being replaced by the export time. HAZ even sorts the photos to the timestamps if you click that button in the upload panel. The GPS data is also intact.

Occasionally the GPS data is incorrect (if I had bad signal or if I put the phone in airplane mode), but then I simply correct it on the map just like Joe said.
Ja vi elsker dette landet

paulshikleejr
Mick Dowelopelli

Post by paulshikleejr » Apr 01 2013 9:00 pm

@chumley Please tell me what you're doing so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I just exported a dozen photos. It always looks like this:
Screen Shot 2013-04-01 at 8.56.17 PM.png
](*,) ](*,)
Decisionmaking and action should only be informed by, not subject to, healthy, reasonable concern.

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Apr 01 2013 9:04 pm

That is exactly what it looks like. The time the files were "created" or "modified". Which is completely separate from the EXIF data stored in the file.

Upload the files just like that.

Click the "Sort to Timestamps" button.

Post.

When you view the photoset, the lower-right corner will show the date and time the photograph was taken, because that is the EXIF data contained in the photo file. It has nothing to do when the file was created/modified.

paulshikleejr
Mick Dowelopelli

Post by paulshikleejr » Apr 01 2013 9:05 pm

@joe bartels I'm sorry, Joe, but I don't understand what you mean by
ie: pano shots and the rest are not or such
Edited: It looks like IMG_2596 wasn't done by AutoStitch. That must mean it was done with the iPhone's "panorama" function, but it looks too good--usually for me there's missing data along the top and/or bottom edges.

The other is a screen shot of my iPhone captured by simultaneously pressing the power and home buttons.

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli

Post by chumley » Apr 01 2013 9:30 pm

Paul, it's possible that some special photos don't include exif data. Screenshots and some other apps may be suspect.

I do know that the iPhone's built-in panorama feature DOES include it.

This photo I took last week is a perfect example.
http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=324917

It was taken at 11:34:50, as indicated by the data in the lower right corner of the page. I did not alter this photo at all. It was exported from iPhoto to my desktop and uploaded to HAZ.

Return to “Photography”