Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
pixelfrog
Scary NRA Militia Type
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Digital Cameras

Post by pixelfrog » Nov 26 2002 12:00 pm

Hi All,

I'm finally gonna get a digital camera, :D :D but not quite sure what kind yet. Can anyone recommend a good hiking/backpacking digital camera that can take the trail and is 3 megapixels? Also I will want to boost the memory up quite a bit.

Thanks in Advance!

Paul

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Digital Cameras

Post by chumley » Nov 22 2017 10:03 am

ssk44 wrote:this model now utilizes "Picture Style" for its jpeg processing which is more similar to what DSLR's use.
JPEG processing? Like a cellphone camera? Isn't the whole point of having a dSLR with unlimited storage and removable memory cards so you can take the highest-quality photos in RAW? Isn't the entire point of RAW to eliminate the problems that JPEG processing produces? Even good cell phones now shoot in RAW!

I'm no photographer, but the difference in post-processing a RAW photo versus a JPEG is a night-and-day no brainer to me.
Ja vi elsker dette landet

ssk44
Explorerkopelli
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by ssk44 » Nov 22 2017 10:25 am

chumley wrote:JPEG processing? Like a cellphone camera? Isn't the whole point of having a dSLR with unlimited storage and removable memory cards so you can take the highest-quality photos in RAW? Isn't the entire point of RAW to eliminate the problems that JPEG processing produces? Even good cell phones now shoot in RAW!

I'm no photographer, but the difference in post-processing a RAW photo versus a JPEG is a night-and-day no brainer to me.
Yes JPEG processing.. Both JPEG and RAW have advantages. RAW does not replace JPEG. Especially for casual general shooting. A RAW file requires post processing. A JPEG file does not require post processing. "Picture Style" allows the user to manually adjust the default JPEG processing levels. An in-camera JPEG photo can be excellent if taken property in the field. Especially on modern Canon EOS DSLR cameras. Shooting RAW for general hiking photos makes very little sense. Every aspect of a RAW photo must be manually processed by the user.

What does your comment have to do with helping casual users of Canon point & shoot cameras?
ISAIAH 6:2-3 / MATTHEW 11:28-30

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Nov 22 2017 10:35 am

Good luck with your new camera! It's about time for me, too. There's dust on the sensor and I've taken it apart so many times that the screws are wrecked and the alignment is degrading.

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Nov 22 2017 10:51 am

ssk44 wrote: What does your comment have to do with helping casual users of Canon point & shoot cameras?
I missed where this thread was limited to general hiking photos, P&S, and casual users. Some of the models discussed previously and detail of settings made me think that something as basic as JPEG vs RAW format would be a discussion of some use.

As Alston would say, there's more than one way to skin a cat. I'll leave the photo discussion to the pros. I've got a turkey to cook. I'm gonna microwave it.
Ja vi elsker dette landet

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Alston_Neal » Nov 22 2017 11:03 am

chumley wrote:As Alston would say, skin a cat, microwave it.
Thank goodness you didn't bring up the wild horses of the Salt river......oh yeah back on topic....I have a digital camera and I like it.
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

DarthStiller
Lombardi Caretaker
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by DarthStiller » Nov 22 2017 11:23 am

@Alston_Neal
I hear the Wave Cave is a great spot for taking pictures.....

outdoor_lover
Dangling Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by outdoor_lover » Nov 22 2017 2:28 pm

I have a Nikon Point and Shoot that shoots RAW and I use the Vivid Setting for 95% of my Landscapes.... Different Brands with Different Settings for Different Folks with Different Results.... I'm just shooting JPEG for now, simply because my Ancient Computer will not s Support a good Editing Program for RAW.... This really is a General Thread by the way, and those that are trying to Improve the Quality of the Images are no longer "Casual Users" in my Book, so all Information is good.... Regardless of what Camera they shoot....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming, "Wow What a Ride!"

Hansenaz
Ancient Dwellapelli

Post by Hansenaz » Nov 22 2017 2:48 pm

@outdoor_lover
I've always been impressed with what you could do with that Nikon Pam...I've also noticed that some people take absolutely amazing astronomical pictures with similar high zoom Nikons. I know these results are at least 80% user and technique. I'm a lazy photographer who just takes quick snapshots so I just want to leave my camera on the smartest setting for that purpose. Might as well get decent results! Eric (ssk44) has always been good at understanding that and not above providing some much appreciated advice for us Canon users.

nonot
Bon Fire Kokopelli

Post by nonot » Nov 22 2017 6:26 pm

The difference between RAW and JPEG isn't that one uses post processing and the other doesn't, it's that JPEG is fundamentally a curve fitting algorithm that reduces the file size by "fitting" a curve to the colors captured, and losing some of the original data in the process where the best curve doesn't quite line up with the picture data. RAW is similar to the BMP format, in that it records each pixel individually. A software program ultimately converts the data to the colors back on a screen, so all images are "post processed" in a sense.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

Return to “Photography”