Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
pixelfrog
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Digital Cameras

Post by pixelfrog » Nov 26 2002 12:00 pm

Hi All,

I'm finally gonna get a digital camera, :D :D but not quite sure what kind yet. Can anyone recommend a good hiking/backpacking digital camera that can take the trail and is 3 megapixels? Also I will want to boost the memory up quite a bit.

Thanks in Advance!

Paul

tibber
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Digital Cameras

Post by tibber » Oct 22 2008 8:51 pm

I have the Panasonic Lumix LZ20 and love it as well; especially for the 12x optical zoom and all of the features Dschur mentions above. It's not too big yet agile and easy to maneuver and has bonuses you can fiddle with. But now that you mention it, I never thot of changing it to manual to fix the focus on what I want. Thanks for the tip.

I do have my eye on the Canon Powershot SX10 IS 10 megapixel (20x wide angle zoom, improved image stabilization among a whole bunch of new features). I don't know if it's been released yet and I don't know the price but it sounds like an enhanced replacement for my LZ20. The review of the SX1 by dpreview is outstanding. I think it is priced under $400.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

Grasshopper
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Grasshopper » Oct 23 2008 9:32 am

Thanks for the reference to Digital Photography Review (dpreview). Is this the reference that most use when one is looking for a "non bias" review of a digital camera now on or to be on the market soon?
(Outside.. "there is No Place Like It!!")

tibber

Post by tibber » Oct 23 2008 5:57 pm

I'm one of those meticulous researchers so I would just google the item I'm looking for and type reviews after it... that way you have access to a couple different review sites and hopefully some consumer reviews as well. Then it's a matter of determining if the complaints about certain features of the product are complaints you care about which may cause that consumer/reviewer to give the product a lower rating.
For example, I don't take many indoor pictures so the flash quality is not a big issue to me but might be to someone else; so I would not place as much importance on the quality of that feature. On the other hand, picture quality means a lot as well as image stabilization and optical zoom.
I remember the review on the new Panasonic, I think the LZ30, they said the zoom was improved but the lens did not keep up with that feature so it could effect picture quality. It gave me pause... but the review on this new Canon SX10 was something else. I think the camera has come out since I last read the initial reviews so I'm going to have to google it again to see if it is still as good as it was professed to be.
For me, sometimes it's just as much about the journey as the destination.
Oh, and once in awhile, don't forget to look back at the trail you've traveled.

writelots
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by writelots » Oct 24 2008 9:41 am

Jeff MacE wrote: Don't know about the camera, but I can offer a tip I use. I have my camera shock-corded to the cross-chest draw strap on my day pack. Even if I'm leaning over and drop it the cord stops it from impacting on the rock or landing in the water below. The other nice thing about this is that I tend to forget to buckle the top over my camera pouch after putting it back in. This way it doesn't go anywhere after falling out, which happens a lot...
I like this tip. I'll give it a try. Sadly enough, sometimes even that isn't enough. Once, I was carrying a friends Nikon DSLR around my neck, very safely attached, but I accidentally dunked it in Havasu Creek anyhow (of course, all of me was in the creek at the time, so no strapping system would have helped! :sweat: )

Thanks all for the advice. It's just TOO hard to pick one digital point-and-shoot. I think I might enlist the help of a dartboard!

W
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

JoelHazelton

Post by JoelHazelton » Oct 24 2008 10:00 am

writelots wrote:Once, I was carrying a friends Nikon DSLR around my neck, very safely attached, but I accidentally dunked it in Havasu Creek
:o That sucks! I used to borrow my friend's Nikon DSLR fairly often, and that was my worst nightmare.
"Arizona is the land of contrast... You can go from Minnesota to California in a matter of minutes, then have Mexican food that night." -Jack Dykinga

http://www.joelhazelton.com

fricknaley

Post by fricknaley » Oct 24 2008 11:03 am

writelots wrote: like this tip. I'll give it a try. Sadly enough, sometimes even that isn't enough. Once, I was carrying a friends Nikon DSLR around my neck, very safely attached, but I accidentally dunked it in Havasu Creek anyhow (of course, all of me was in the creek at the time, so no strapping system would have helped! )
Sadly, I've done the same...in Bear Creek.
hi

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Oct 24 2008 5:45 pm

Ash Creek (Preston pushed me)
- joe

te_wa
City, State: Mesa

Post by te_wa » Dec 01 2008 11:13 am

looking at 2 sites for digital reviews, under $200 I found that both PCworld and CNET rank the Canon a590 (is) as the #1 digital point and shoot. As Im looking to finally upgrade from a shirt pocket ultra-slim (ultra-trendy in other words) this one seems to be decent for the $113 price on Amazon. Of course, its a little bulky, not so eye catching, and comes in a boring color.. but what's fashion got to do with durability and function, right? :D
anybody care to input their likes/dislikes of the Canon Powershot A590is?
squirrel!

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Dec 01 2008 11:43 am

te-wa wrote:looking at 2 sites for digital reviews, under $200 I found that both PCworld and CNET rank the Canon a590 (is) as the #1 digital point and shoot. As Im looking to finally upgrade from a shirt pocket ultra-slim (ultra-trendy in other words) this one seems to be decent for the $113 price on Amazon. Of course, its a little bulky, not so eye catching, and comes in a boring color.. but what's fashion got to do with durability and function, right? :D
anybody care to input their likes/dislikes of the Canon Powershot A590is?
...is that the one with the commercial where everyone is snapping shots of tennis girl's dog? :sl:
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Dec 01 2008 11:53 am

te-wa wrote:anybody care to input their likes/dislikes of the Canon Powershot A590is?
Is it dustproof & waterproof? I ruined a nice Nikon because of dust. With where you go & what you do, you probably need a MILSPEC camera. :scared:
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. Andy Rooney

nonot

Post by nonot » Dec 01 2008 6:50 pm

There are a few completely waterproof point and shoots out there, a little more expensive but they should keep out the dust and water.
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

hippiepunkpirate
City, State: Peoria, AZ

Post by hippiepunkpirate » Dec 01 2008 8:12 pm

I'm looking into the Canon Powershot SX110 IS....anyone have any info on it?
My website: Mountain Tripper
I also write for: Territory Supply

fricknaley

Post by fricknaley » Dec 01 2008 8:15 pm

te-wa wrote:anybody care to input their likes/dislikes of the Canon Powershot A590is
Not with this exact model, but a predecessor (A95). The Canon Powershot a## series are very nice point and shoots with nice range of control and many added manual features. I used mine for years before upgrading and was always happy. More than anything I upgraded because of it's limitations for indoor photos of my kid (it's a little slow), other than that it was fab for outdoor/hiking photos.
hi

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Dec 01 2008 8:30 pm

hippiepunkpirate wrote:I'm looking into the Canon Powershot SX110 IS....anyone have any info on it?
I usually research cameras at dpreview com
26 August 2008: Canon today strengthens its PowerShot range of digital cameras with the addition of a new SX “Super Zoom” model: the 9 Megapixel PowerShot SX110 IS, which replaces the popular SX100 IS. Featuring a 10x optical zoom with optical Image Stabilizer – plus a 3.0” LCD – the PowerShot SX110 IS delivers outstanding telephoto reach in an even more compact and lightweight body.

A full range of Canon technologies – including Face Detection Technology, Motion Detection Technology and a new Easy Mode – help everyone take great photos, while experienced users can also enjoy the creative possibilities offered by full manual control.

Maximum reach, minimum weight
With a 10x Canon optical zoom – featuring a 35mm film equivalent focal length of 36-360mm - the PowerShot SX110 IS brings even distant subjects into view, making it the perfect camera for everything from school sports days to family holidays. Canon’s optical Image Stabilizer technology combats the effects of camera shake, delivering sharp, blur-free shots throughout the camera’s extensive zoom range.

Effortless ease and creative control
The PowerShot SX110 IS features a wide range of 20 shooting modes designed to achieve optimum results in a wide range of lighting conditions – a great help for users of all levels, from complete novices to more experienced photographers.

Shooting modes include a new Easy Mode, which sees all shooting settings chosen automatically by the camera – perfect for beginners prone to making unsuitable adjustments. Easy Mode also limits Playback options to simple image viewing and deletion functions. At the other end of the spectrum, experienced users can switch to full manual control, and customize settings for special effects or unusual lighting.
To keep shots looking sharp, Motion Detection Technology – activated in High ISO Auto mode – uses Face Detection Technology, the optical Image Stabilizer and scene information to identify subject motion and camera-shake. ISO is also optimized for minimum blur and maximum image quality.
Looks great for telezoom - especially with IS. If the low end is 36mm you are sacrificing some wide-angle. If it has a good pano mode, you can compensate by doing a 2 or 3 panel pano (horizontal or vertical).

My big concern is always dust and moisture. I wrecked a Nikon on Humphreys on a windy day because of dust. A friend wrecked a Sony(?) even though he was careful on a West Clear Creek(?) hike because his towel got too wet to keep his hands dry and the moisture on his hands wrecked the camera. I'll sacrifice some camera specs to get durability.
life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. Andy Rooney

azdesertfather

Post by azdesertfather » Dec 01 2008 11:06 pm

I checked Consumer Reports on the Canon Powershot SX110 IS, it has fairly good ratings. Here's what it says:

CR's Take
For a relatively inexpensive superzoom, it produces images with very good sharpness, although we did notice some visible noise. Performance is mixed with short next-shot delay but some first-shot delay. Excellent dynamic range lets you shoot photos in a wide variety of situations. Manual controls and manual focus make this camera more versatile than other models.

Highs
Relatively inexpensive for a superzoom. Very good image quality. Short next-shot delay. Excellent dynamic range. Includes manual controls and manual focus.

Lows
Some first-shot delay. Batteries may fall out while changing memory card. Pop-up flash must be manually released in order to use it. No viewfinder. Flash range less than 10 feet.

I also see that in this size of camera that they also recommend the Kodak EasyShare Z1012 IS and the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H10.

The Kodak has a really good review from them. It has a 12x optical zoom, and they say this about it:
CR's Take
Produces images with excellent sharpness, although we did notice some noise. Performs very well, with short next-shot delay and short first-shot delay. Very good dynamic range lets you shoot in a wide variety of situations. Easy to use. Manual controls and manual focus make it more versatile than other models.

Highs
Very good image quality. Short next-shot delay. Short first-shot delay. Very good dynamic range. Has a maximum ISO with best quality of 800. Easy to use. It has an ergonomic grip, which can help steady the camera. Includes manual controls, manual focus and can zoom optically when recording video.

Lows
Nothing significant.

Anyone have any experience with this Kodak?
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Dec 02 2008 6:18 am

I have experience with the Kodak Z612 (lower resolution at 6.2 MP, but otherwise very similar). I am very pleased with it. Another thing that CR didn't report there that I find very nice is that it is provided with a real lens cap (attached to the camera body by a string) with a felt seal. Less moving parts to get jammed up with sand/dust/etc. and the felt really helps protect the lens from damage as well. I've had this camera for over a year, dropped it in the Paria once, and carry it around almost constantly at work, and I have had no significant problems. I haven't found a way to mount any sort of filter to it, however...
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

writelots

Post by writelots » Dec 02 2008 10:48 am

nonot wrote:There are a few completely waterproof point and shoots out there, a little more expensive but they should keep out the dust and water.
I have the Pentax waterproof point and shoot. It is bombproof, I have to say. But it takes lousy pictures. I don't think it's a reasonable trade-off, personally. I hate shooting each shot 3-4 times because of focus, exposure and other issues. Even then, i don't always get the shot I want!
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Dec 02 2008 11:37 am

writelots wrote:I have the Pentax waterproof point and shoot. It is bombproof, I have to say. But it takes lousy pictures. I don't think it's a reasonable trade-off, personally. I hate shooting each shot 3-4 times because of focus, exposure and other issues. Even then, i don't always get the shot I want!
I love the Pentax. I may take lousy photos but it doesn't. Maybe you got a lemon - a bad chipset or something. I do set it to landscape mode, landscape program rather than green, but I'm happy with it. And it weighs about 5 1/2 oz.

writelots

Post by writelots » Dec 04 2008 11:52 am

Al_HikesAZ wrote:I love the Pentax. I may take lousy photos but it doesn't. Maybe you got a lemon - a bad chipset or something. I do set it to landscape mode, landscape program rather than green, but I'm happy with it. And it weighs about 5 1/2 oz.
I've often wondered if I got a bad camera - I don't know if they could really keep selling these things if 1/2 the pictures were out of focus (I keep it on the image stabilization mode all of the time because that helped the most with the focus issues). But my contact with customer service has been less than satisfactory... I think I'm switching to a Panasonic for my hiking camera and I'll leave the Pentax for Kayaking and other activities where I really need the waterproofness (is that a word?) I just wanna take pretty pictures like I get from my DSLR without having to lug that 3lb baby with me everywhere! Is that really asking so much ;)

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Dec 04 2008 12:18 pm

One thing about photography - it's all about being there. I had a point-n-click Sony over in the sandbox that took shots that are probably Nat-Geo quality, only because I happened to be standing there when whatever the central focus of the picture turned out to be was going on. The quality of the photo may be poor, but no one cares because the subject or action is so enthralling. With the right moment, the camera becomes an afterthought... :)
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Return to “Photography”