48%
No
52%

Total votes: 214

AZ_Hiker
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Hand guns on the trail?

Post by AZ_Hiker » Jun 25 2003 10:31 am

I was just wondering how many or if any of you take a gun when you hike. I do. there are many reasons I can think of to take one along.

I have a few friends here at work that are both experanced hikers. one was part of search and rescue for many years, the other was a cop. Both have hiked just about every area of AZ and both have told me to always take a gun for many different reasons.
AZ Hiker
Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean there not after you!

no avatar
wannascuba
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by wannascuba » Jul 05 2003 10:31 pm

I'd have to disagree. If I (for some reason) am not carrying my pistol while in the outdoors, and see another hiker carrying, it becomes a relief to know that someone out there is willing to take on the responsibility to protect those around him/her. Carrying a gun is more than protecting yourself. There are many other responsibilities that come into play when you choose to carry and it seems that for those people who have never shot, nor carried, a gun they simply see those who do as a threat to their safety. People who carry, must be fully trained. End of discussion, that is their responsibility.

And for the people who oppose carrying because there just aren't the overwhelming statistics to prove that it prevents a high number of animal attacks...I'm not worried about the statistics, because neither is that ONE encounter with a mountain lion (or bear, or whatever) if it should happen to me or my group. I hope and pray that it never happens, and it may only happen once...but I will be prepared.

ck_1
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by ck_1 » Jul 05 2003 10:53 pm

wannascuba wrote: People who carry, must be fully trained. End of discussion, that is their responsibility. .
I agree. But I don't believe that everyone I see packing a gun is trained and responsible. I wish they were. I don't know a lot about guns and the "lifestyle", but I figure the guys I've seen at Pass mtn shooting holes in the cactus might not be trained....that's kinda scary.
'The Journey is the Destination!'

AK

Post by AK » Jul 06 2003 12:54 am

And the never ending debate goes on...... :roll:
Aaron

"Can't think of a good signature quote" - Me

Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Jul 06 2003 3:51 am

Hey ck1, long time no read. I have not seen you in a while or have not caught any of your post recently. Welcome back. I've just been monitering this one for entertainment value.

AZ_Hiker
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by AZ_Hiker » Jul 06 2003 5:42 pm

i'm new here in arizona and to hiking in arizona. I don't know Pass mnt I would say that if a trail where people go hiking a lot that shooting holes in the cactus is a needless waste. IMO only.

we could all come up with gripes about people and there habits on the trail.. I for one detest trash or people that through a soda/beer can in the creek or stream I have seen that a lot more sense I have been in arizona.

People that carve there name in some ruins really piss me off to. At rodgers canyon I saw 700 year old ruins, and some guy named jeff was kind enough to let me know he was there in 1979 I think.. that is way worse the shooting a cactus to my way of thinking..

there are a lot of idiots that should not even be aloud to drive a car let alone carrie a gun. However we let people with low IQ's drive 4000 pound bombs at just under sub sonic speeds here in arizona..I fear driving to the trail head more then meeting someone on the trail that happens to be carrying a hand gun.

I dont judge all the people in Arizona by the way some of you drive:)
AZ Hiker
Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean there not after you!

Abe

Post by Abe » Jul 06 2003 6:40 pm

AZ_Hiker wrote:i'm new here in arizona and to hiking in arizona. I don't know Pass mnt I would say that if a trail where people go hiking a lot that shooting holes in the cactus is a needless waste. IMO only.
Neutral party here. AZ_Hiker here is the site for Pass Mountain I believe:

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=209

For your reference of course.

ck_1

Post by ck_1 » Jul 06 2003 6:59 pm

In response to Abe's reply:

Hi Abe! Thanks...I haven't been spending as much time online as in the past, this summer has been much more active for me, which is a good thing...I hven't been posting much at all...but every once in a while something peaks my interest :roll:
'The Journey is the Destination!'

Roba' Kai
City, State: Sedona, AZ

Re: Handgun on the trail

Post by Roba' Kai » Apr 23 2005 3:34 am

I know that in Arizona it is legal to carry a side arm unconcealed, but what about wearing a shoulder holster that is somewhat covered by your pack.

I am considering getting a gun because for backcountry wilderness trips alone. I don't want to wear a side holster and advertise I have a gun if I come across anyone else for a number of reasons.....but again, I want to be legal, yet discreet.

Rob

Thom

Post by Thom » Apr 25 2005 10:46 am

Parts of this convo remind me of the old Superstition Mountain stories... Way back when there were still strong suspicions of gold in the Superstitions, everyone would go out there expecting the worst. Anyone else out there, people assumed, must be crazy, so people were extremely "defensive" and trigger happy... They made themselves the "crazy" ones.

Anyhow, I'm not anti-gun by any means, but I've never really wanted to carry/pack one while in the great outdoors. Too bulky for one thing, and I don't want to have "the gun" on my mind when I'm out trying to enjoy myself. Plus, I only have access to revolvers, and I think I'd at least want a magazine loader so I can keep it unloaded but ready it quickly if I need it.

Last time I was out, though, I really wished I had some means of protection. I'm not too worried about four-legged critters, but as others have said, it's the irresponsible bipeds that concern me. Last time out, I was all tucked in my tent, when at about 1 AM a bunch of obviously very drunk & curious guys (I'm assuming college students, but couldn't really make them out) took a frightening interest to my site. They were shining their lights at us for a good half hour and eventually made their way to the site. I assume they were rummaging for food, but seemed to lose interest when they didn't find any alcohol and went on their way, thank goodness.

Anyhow, there I was with nothing but a sheath knife wondering what I'd do if they tried to get in the tent. My "best" plan would've been to grab their arm as they pulled the zipper, pulled them half in, put the cold blade against their skin and make some "chilling threat" to try and scare them away. :P But I would've been grossly outnumbered and, in all likelihood, overpowered. Next time? I may very well carry a gun.
Eagle Scout, Class of 1998.

Favorite Spots to Date:
1. Garden of the Gods, IL
2. West Clear Creek, AZ
3. Jack's Fork, MO (Canoeing)

no avatar
Trans tech

Re: Handgun on the trail

Post by Trans tech » May 05 2005 6:31 pm

In response to Roba' Kai's reply: In response to your open carry question, if your going to keep your firearm in a shoulder holster to be legal you must have a portion of the firearm exposed. If you have it in a holster latched with a strap and then in your pack zipped up it is not considered concealed.

The basic definition would be if it is in your glove box by itself wear you could open the door and grab it ready to go,verses having it in a holster in the closed glove box. When it is in the holster you would have to grab it and then have to remove it from the holster before being able to use it. Other wise known as the two moves rule.
Hope this makes sense. 8)

no avatar
Trans tech

Post by Trans tech » May 05 2005 6:48 pm

In response to Thom's reply: My wife and I had kind of similar experince south of Crown King. We were exploring a creek bed and watching a Gila Monster when some wild eyed man (deliverence type) came out of no where. He was sure and ready to back it up with his shotgun that we were there to rob his gold mine. (Funny thing was 50 feet from us was a verticle shaft covered with wire, bushes and a camo painted cable hoist)
When I turned to expose my right side to him and put my hand on my 45 he calmed way down and asked us to leave his claim. Weird hu?

CONGRADULATIONS ON GETTING YOUR EAGLE!!! If more boys would try to reach your level there would be alot more Men in America then just an other guy. 8)

azcoigreach420
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Depends on the hike.

Post by azcoigreach420 » Jun 24 2005 1:46 pm

There are occasions where I'll take my sidearm on a trail.

If I am out on a trip ovenight or during evening hours, I bear my sidearm. Peper spray and other chemicals are great deterants. But, a lot of animals on the trails that run deeper into the desert or mountains don't understand what spraying pepper spary in their face means and will tend to aggrivate an animal. In addition to which, peper spray doesn't taste to good when you cook the little buggers up.

If I am on a day trip, I simply don't take a gun to save on weight. Day hikes for me are usually in park areas or closer to civilization and the animals don't come there.

az420dude
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by az420dude » Jun 24 2005 7:52 pm

I'm all about weight. Be it a day hike or backpakin a few days. Any type of firearms to me are unnecesarry weight. (unless of course you are a card carrying member of the NRA and enjoy tugging your ATV along with you everywhere you go)

Didn't some bright GOP legislature try to introduce a bill to allow guns in bars? So whats next? Gun on trails? Its just stupid.

Its real easy folks...If you encounter a mountain lion - Don't run! Stop, stand tall, raise your arms and stare the cat down! Don't turn you back on him either.

If you encounter a Bear (which is highly unlikely since they're extremely shy) drop your pack and remove any food in your pockets and run like hell!

So what other reasons are there to carry a firearm? Is it some macho thing? I just don't get it. Unless you consider man himself a predator. (pretty sad if thats the case)

Don't let unnecesarry fear warp your good judgement. (we have the current administration for that)

-peace

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Jun 24 2005 9:18 pm

if you look at the number of outdoorsmen (or women) compared to the number of animal attacks, it would be really stupid to believe the neccesity of carrying for protection. However, I like guns and think there aint nothing wrong with packin, trail or no trail. But Im with AZdude- dont want the extra weight. And if someone on the trail makes you uncomfortable because they are wearing.... get a grip!
you should be more interested in the amount of unnecessary deaths due to malpractice, falls, hypothermia, mosquito bites, the list goes on.

i do take my guns when car camping, cause its fun to blow stuff up! : rambo :
:D

mttgilbert
City, State: Denver, CO

Post by mttgilbert » Jun 24 2005 10:21 pm

I'm not sure about animal attacks but there may be legitimate reasons to carry guns while hiking in some places. If you choose to hike near the border it may just be a good idea. Coyotes (the smuglers not the animals) are certainly a cause for fear. They are out there and just might be less likely to confront you (for your water, say) if you have a firearm displayed. Like it or not there are some people who definately qualify as predators. If that makes me "sad" so be it, I think it makes me a realist...
Cogito ergo ambulo cum sacculo
-Matt Gilbert

pfredricks
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by pfredricks » Jun 26 2005 1:03 pm

az420dude wrote: Gun on trails? Its just stupid.

Its real easy folks...If you encounter a mountain lion - Don't run! Stop, stand tall, raise your arms and stare the cat down! Don't turn you back on him either.

If you encounter a Bear (which is highly unlikely since they're extremely shy) drop your pack and remove any food in your pockets and run like hell!

So what other reasons are there to carry a firearm? Is it some macho thing? I just don't get it. Unless you consider man himself a predator. (pretty sad if thats the case)

Don't let unnecesarry fear warp your good judgement. (we have the current administration for that)

-peace
Why in the world does this topic always come up? It is always the same thing.

I have no problem with you having your opinion....just don't use the inflammatory comments trying to negate the opposite opinion...like attacking someones manhood, or saying it is stupid, just because YOU feel that way. Please try to separate that.

Then to end the rant with a comment like that..... as if to say:
that someone who decides to own or carry a firearm, can't or hasn't been able to think clearly-or they have a manhood problem. That ain't really a discussion ...now is it? That's an attack!

By the way,
if you are that close to a mountain lion....don't kid yourself......you aren't going to see it .....it will have it's mouth around your neck and attack from behind.

You probably wont have time to see it.......or pull out a revolver.

Carry one if you want, don't if ya don't.

Both arguments have a point and a counterpoint, people that believe one thing and not the other.

I am just bettin' that no one here is going to read one of these comments and change their opinion.
"I'd feel better if we had some crampons. Oh, what the hell, let's go for it..." — Common climbing last words.

Pythor Sen
City, State: Apache Junction

Totin'

Post by Pythor Sen » Jun 26 2005 3:46 pm

I agree. This is a divisive issue that isn't going to change anyone's opinion. People will get upset and the hiking world will just become a little less friendly.

:(

Abe

Post by Abe » Jun 26 2005 5:14 pm

[-(
"Solitude is as needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character." James Russell Lowell

kurthzone
City, State: Peoria, AZ

GunTotinScruffyType

Post by kurthzone » Jul 07 2005 1:17 pm

It's good to be well equipped in the scree!
Blessings, Stan

kurthzone
City, State: Peoria, AZ

JAYLO

Post by kurthzone » Jul 07 2005 4:42 pm

Protecting Jenifer in the scree chute is a must!
Blessings, Stan

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”