Firearm alternatives

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
desertgirl
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Firearm alternatives

Post by desertgirl » Oct 27 2003 3:35 pm

I have seen quite a few who "pack" firearms : rambo : .... I don't see the point if your firearm is at the bottom of your pack....what ever is after you is going to get you long before you get what you are "packing"!

Has any one had any experiences with Mace or similar deterents ? I think these would work very akin to .22 -- enrage !

Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Oct 27 2003 3:48 pm

My thoughts on pepper spray...
you have to get really close and I doubt I'm fast enough to get the bear or mountain lion as it attacks without getting myself!
don't even think about it on a breezy day!
angry blind crazy guy with a gun :o !
angry blind rabid animal :o !
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Oct 27 2003 5:19 pm

hey maybe put the pepper spray in one of those battery powered squirt guns!

then send a 10,000 volt shock through the liquid :o

Now taking orders for the 2004 model...
Cowboy Pumper Stunner
Patent Pending
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Snick33
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Defenseless

Post by Snick33 » Oct 27 2003 6:14 pm

I'm sure many are going to reply to this post, but someones got to be the first. Keeping a loaded pistol in the bottom of your pack, unless you have a concealed weapons permit is illegal and stupid, that's not what I do, I carry mine in a holster on my pack. I think most who carry a weapon do the same. It's not meant to intimidate, it's meant to show others that I'm not defenseless. I'm 57 years old, I've never hit another human being in anger let alone shot at anyone, but others who have such intentions need to know, once again, I'm not defenseless.

There are crazies out there, I don't know where, I don't worry about it much because, once again, I'm not defenseless. I don't like guns, they are noisy and they smell bad when you fire them. My gun doesn't make me feel like my penis is any bigger either.

I would hate to ever physically hurt anyone, but more so, I would not want anyone to ever hurt me. I want to hike and enjoy the wilderness, I want my friends and myself to be left alone to enjoy it,but because it is exactly that, wild, I need the crazies to know that I'm not defenseless.
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

no avatar
SPINNAKER

Post by SPINNAKER » Oct 27 2003 6:26 pm

I have a rig for my pistol that slings it on the underside of my pack allowing me to draw it nearly as fast as hip holster.

These are my opinions on defensive eqipment.

Pepper spray- Would probably work on an aggro animal. You're essentially using the same defensive strategy as a skunk or a bombadier beetle. It's effect on humans is another story. It simply dosen't have enogh of an effect on some people.

Slingshot- Slow to reload but it can be just as devastating as a small caliber pistol. Again, against humans I wouldn't want to trust it. If you miss, he knows it'll take a second or two to reload and he'll be on you.

Air Taser- It'll knock the hell out of anything and can be used on aggro wildlife without causing permanent damage.The only drawback is if you run into multiple attackers...i.e. group of thugs.

Knife- The problem here is that it's a close-in weapon. That allows wildlife to be in range for teetn and claw attacks and allows humans close enough to grapple with you. Not very effective unless you are trained in knife-fighting.

Hefty walking stick-You could probably use it to fend off a onery bobcat or some such but a large and determined animal has too good a chance of getting past it. Against humans you had better be a well trained fighter to truly make it effective. Against multple humans it is pretty much useless.
If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you better be prepared to deal with his teeth.

Rodney
City, State: Indian-a

Re: Defenseless

Post by Rodney » Oct 27 2003 6:50 pm

Snick33 wrote:My gun doesn't make me feel like my penis is any bigger either.
Now Snick...that kind of talk is suppose to be reserved for the "secret password" section of the site! But, since you brought it up, have you tried carrying the gun in your front pants pocket? :lol:

Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Re: Firearm alternatives

Post by Abe » Oct 27 2003 7:42 pm

In response to desertgirl's reply:

On a prior string, I indicated on occasions I carry a weapon; however, I will have to say my walking stick is my comfort, not really the weapon of choice, but comfortable.

Snick33
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Snick33 » Oct 27 2003 7:43 pm

Interesting idea Rodney, I've always preferred the pair of socks myself, (calf length) but I'm open to try anything. Damn Susan just came in the room, gotta go.
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

ajcanable
City, State: Apache Jct., Az.

Re: Firearm alternatives

Post by ajcanable » Oct 27 2003 9:01 pm

Abe wrote:In response to desertgirl's reply:

On a prior string, I indicated on occasions I carry a weapon; however, I will have to say my walking stick is my comfort, not really the weapon of choice, but comfortable.
I to find comfort with a good stick! It's alway in hand if I need it. : rambo :

Greg Jackson
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Greg Jackson » Oct 27 2003 9:22 pm

In response to Snick33's reply:
pumpkin Susan just came in the room, gotta go.
You'd think she would have found out about that by now....
Dog is my co-pilot.

Rodney

Post by Rodney » Oct 27 2003 9:37 pm

Greg Jackson wrote:In response to Snick33's reply:
pumpkin Susan just came in the room, gotta go.
You'd think she would have found out about that by now....
Hmmm...is that where the term "sock it to me" came from? Back on the topic...I don't think a sock is a real good alternative to a gun...JMO. :D

hoppy47m
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by hoppy47m » Oct 27 2003 9:38 pm

I will soon have a cool walking stick, it's the leg off of a surveyors transit and an old cattle prod will be adapted to fit inside the hollow leg........anybody want to be the guinea pig to see if it works??
All Who Wander Are Not Lost, and I do walk to the beat of a different drummer.....'cause I lost my drum

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Oct 27 2003 10:15 pm

I sometimes carry a concealed pistol (legally). That said, in all my hiking I've never used a gun for defense. I've used my voice several times and once threw a rock at an agressive dog. The only time I've been bit was in a maul during a rugby match. (mosquitoes, gnats, and flies excepted) Carry whatever makes you feel comfortable and know how to use it. Then enjoy the hike!
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
~ Mark Twain

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Oct 28 2003 5:53 am

One of those incredibly loud air horn things might work. You could blow the eardrums of your attacker, and get away while they writhed in agony!
"The older I get, the better I was."

plummer150
City, State: Va Beach, Va

re:

Post by plummer150 » Oct 28 2003 9:44 am

While certain weapontry has crossed my mind while I hike, I would probably prefer the a.k. 47, this is the choice of weapontry by most of your enemies, so, you might as well be packin the same heat.
"IRONMAN" cometh, hiketh, destroyeth

desertgirl

Post by desertgirl » Oct 28 2003 12:37 pm

Do those " Bear bells " really work.....? I am thinking that a bear could probably smell ( may be even hear) us long before .... Always have looked at them and wondered.....

Any bear experts .... ?

no avatar
escudilla
City, State: Springerville, Arizona

Post by escudilla » Oct 28 2003 1:38 pm

If you need to carry a weapon, try a tactical holster w/velco belt, rides low on the thigh and allows for fastening waist belt. : rambo :

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Oct 28 2003 2:24 pm

I've found the following references:

"Bear bells provide an element of safety for hikers in grizzly country. The
tricky part is getting them on the bears."
----
"The Forest Service has issued a BEAR WARNING in the national forests for this summer. They're urging everyone to protect themselves by wearing bells and carrying pepper spray.
Campers should be alert for signs of fresh bear activity, and they should be able to tell the difference between Black Bear dung and Grizzly Bear dung. Black Bear dung is rather small and round. Sometimes you can see fruit seeds and/or squirrel fur in it.
Grizzly Bear dung has bells in it, and smells like pepper spray."
----
Hope these help.
"The older I get, the better I was."

ADGibson

Post by ADGibson » Oct 28 2003 9:42 pm

Anyone have any credible links showing stats on bear attacks? I worry about this a bit.

Rodney

Post by Rodney » Oct 28 2003 10:46 pm

DoFear wrote:Anyone have any credible links showing stats on bear attacks? I worry about this a bit.
Where are you going in AZ that you're worried about bear attacks? I think, at some point, the Four Peaks Wilderness area had the largest number of bear count in the state. But...I really don't recall too many bear attack reports recently.

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”