Backpack-compatible holster options?

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none
Thoreau
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Backpack-compatible holster options?

Post by Thoreau » Mar 10 2009 10:47 am

After having hiked numerous trails with little more than a small Camelbak backpack, and thus being able to use a simple paddle holster to carry my XDm, I've come across a new challenge that I'm hoping someone here has already figured out... How the hell can one effectively carry a sidearm when wearing a full-size internal-frame backpack?

The hip belts on the pack rule out any chance of a holster that would be mounted to the beltline of the pants. I'm pretty sure that a shoulder rig would just get tangled up in the shoulder straps of the pack as well. The only option I have found so far is a thigh-rig, but aside from not being the most comfortable option, the one I've got leaves the barrel points squarely at my foot. Not exactly 'ideal' in my book.

Anyone out there have any ideas or creative solutions to this? If push comes to shove, I can certainly use my thigh-rig (it's a pretty nice one from Blackhawk and uses my CQC Serpa holster mounted on their thigh-rig platform) but I'm looking for any alternatives to spending the entire trip with a gun pointed at my foot.

Hoffmaster
City, State: Canton, OH

Re: Backpack-compatible holster options?

Post by Hoffmaster » Mar 10 2009 1:19 pm

You could save yourself the hassle by leaving your gun at home.
"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » Mar 10 2009 1:21 pm

I could do the same with my 1st aid kit, GPS, SPOT, etc., but I won't.

dysfunction
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Post by dysfunction » Mar 10 2009 1:40 pm

well, the only ones I've ever had that worked with were thigh... it's too bad there are no molle attachment points on most frame packs. :sl:
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » Mar 10 2009 1:52 pm

Did you happen to come across a rig that kept th muzzle pointed, well, anywhere except at yourself? That's really my only major hang-up on that setup. Even though I know it won't go off in the holster (and it won't be going off if i have to draw the firearm) I still have a slight urge to follow rule #2 of firearm safety: Don't point it at anything you aren't willing to destroy. I kinda like having two working feet =)

On that same train of though, would that 'flaw' be enough to keep you from using a thigh rig?

And yeah, molle would definitely be nice. Perhaps it's time to start emailing the folks at Osprey =)

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Mar 10 2009 2:07 pm

I haven't seen one that doesn't angle in a bit..
mike

allanalxndr
City, State: Phx, AZ

Post by allanalxndr » Mar 10 2009 4:27 pm

Have you checked into or thought about using something like this? The Wilderness Safe Packer. You can search google for the site. Offsite linking is prohibited...

AA

Thoreau

Post by Thoreau » Mar 10 2009 4:39 pm

I actually did consider that one (and haven't totally ruled the purchase of one out.) Just didn't see any easy way to have it on my person with the backpack, short of strapping it across my chest somehow, or having it hang from one of the hip belts where it would probably be a bit cumbersome. Definitely looks like a great product for a wide variety of other uses I can imagine tho =)

They're also a local company so I'd definitely like to support them. (The plethora of other products they sell, including the belt I'm wearing right now, pretty much guarantee my business =)

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Mar 10 2009 5:31 pm

Any sort of "clip" holster could work to clip onto your waist strap on your pack.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Mar 10 2009 5:46 pm

Come to think of it an M-12 would probably too, since it'll accommodate a 2 1/2" belt. Not sure it'd be overly comfy though
mike

allanalxndr
City, State: Phx, AZ

Post by allanalxndr » Mar 10 2009 5:50 pm

Thoreau wrote:They're also a local company so I'd definitely like to support them. (The plethora of other products they sell, including the belt I'm wearing right now, pretty much guarantee my business =)
Great group of guys and I definitely agree about the belt. Wear it every day! I've used my safepacker threaded onto my hip belt. It took a few to get use to, but sure beat the IWB or not having it accessible.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Mar 11 2009 5:35 am

Pocket holster works for small, lightweight side-arm. Fanny pack worn in the front might work with some packs but probably not with most as these newer packs have such large, padded hipbelts. I have put a small semi-auto .32 wrapped in a bandanna directly into my pocket many times, not even using a pocket holster or clip. My hiking pants have large pockets which are accessible even with the pack hip belt on. I never carry anything larger than a .38, anyway.

Another option might be to take your pack to an upholsterer or other commercial sewer, and have them sew some sort of an attachment or strap onto your hipbelt that would accomodate some sort of a holster. Then you have to be careful when you set the pack on the ground not to drag your holster in the dirt, but it can be done.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Mar 11 2009 8:36 am

I usually just carry in a UM84 military holster hidden behind a canteen. Those things are bombproof, though not very covert...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

dysfunction

Post by dysfunction » Mar 11 2009 8:57 am

In response to Jeff MacE:
That's the m12 isn't it? I have one, I should try mine sometime.
mike

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Mar 11 2009 9:02 am

Same one, yep.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Teebor
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by Teebor » Feb 17 2010 12:23 am

I recently got a Serpa CQC "sportser" holster. This is kind of a paddle holster but the paddle has hooks that hook on to your belt/pants when you wear it normally. I have a backpack with a waistbelt that is molle capable. I found that the bottom hook on the paddle holster fits perfectly on the pack belt and the upper hooks go into the molle webbing. I can put it on either side of my body and adjust the screws so the gun is pointed back away from me while hiking. It was a pretty good set up, I just wish the gun rattled around less in the plastic holster. At least with Serpa, you know there is no way the trigger will accidentally get pulled or knocked. If you already have a Serpa, you can probably buy the paddle part.
Regards,
Jeff

Laziness is counterrevolutionary...
Questions are decadent...
Fast hands mean less whipping.

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Feb 17 2010 11:02 am

With my backpack, it's impossible to carry anything inside my pants (as I prefer) or on my waist belt. I've adjusted my Galco shoulder holster to fit comfortably when my pack is on. Unfortunately, I don't think 9mm is sufficient when out in the wilderness (don't want to spark a debate on stopping power, capacity, etc...). Because of that, I settle for a thigh holster to haul my 44 when out and about. I'll risk the dirty looks of the occasional passersby rather than forego the possibility I may need the hardware at some point... I may not use my spare tire or or seat belts but it's nice to know they're there when I do!

Pathfinder Aaron
City, State: MESA, AZ

Post by Pathfinder Aaron » Feb 27 2010 8:24 pm

Yeah, the only thing I've found that works is the thigh holster. I just deal with the weird looks when it's noticed. I would rather have it on me readily available and out of the way. No point in it being unloaded buried in my pack like some suggest.

azfatboy

Post by azfatboy » Feb 28 2013 4:02 pm

Not to dredge up an old thread, but as this is still a valid question for many hikers, I will share my solution.

My setup is made possible because of my pack: the Kelty Falcon 4000 (newer version is called the Falcon 66). This is a military pack, with tons of molle webbing, including the waist belt.

So, I installed the BlackHawk S.T.R.I.K.E. CQC platform on the molle, on which I installed the Serpa Quick Disconnect kit, which I also installed on my Serpa CQC Holster. The quick disconnects allow me to rotate the holster orientation to any comfortable angle. It is not discreet (it is not meant to be...), and it wasn't the cheapest option, but it really really works well.

The cherry on top is that I also carry the paddle platform (this came with the holster). So, when the pack comes off, I simply detach the holster from the pack, snap it into the paddle holster, and I am set for jaunts away from camp.

To reiterate some other posters, I am not interested in starting a flame war with the ostriches who don't agree with being armed while backpacking. I would just like to keep this thread alive and on topic.
Attachments
IMG_1514.JPG
Holster detached from STRIKE
IMG_1516.JPG
The holster next to the STRIKE and paddle platforms
IMG_1513.JPG
The holster attached to the STRIKE platform

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”