Hmm, never thought about it
11%

Total votes: 65

azdesertfather
Peacopelli
City, State: Tucson, AZ

Protection from attacks

Post by azdesertfather » Apr 03 2009 10:23 pm

We're pretty safe hiking in Arizona. There are few animals that theoretically could even attack a human (mountain lion, black bear, a ticked-off elk or javelina), and those cases are very rare. Maybe a swarm of ticked-off Africanized bees.

We hear reports about these things, though they are rare. With rabies on the rise in Arizona, the risk increases slightly.

The question is, do these things prompt you to bring anything with you when you go hiking, camping, etc.? Whether alone, or even if you're bringing pets or children?

Does anyone out there have any stories of being attacked bees or animals in Arizona you want to share? :)
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." — Henry David Thoreau

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Re: Protection from attacks

Post by Jeffshadows » Apr 29 2009 8:25 am

I remember that whole thing like it was yesterday; some buddies of mine and I were camped near Incinerator when it happened. Did you know they came through and booted everyone out of the established campgrounds that morning? We had no idea what all the fuss was about until they came and kicked us off the rocks at Windy hours later. I think they pretty much closed the highway down for a couple days, too. It was total BS. It wasn't as if there was a huge pack of man-eating bears roaming the range looking for another victim.

FWIW - I think that lawsuit is BS, too. It isn't just the fact that I'm personally sick of the lack of responsibility for one's own actions in this country. I grew up around one of the main wildlife biologists for Coronado who was a family friend and he had an entirely different take on the whole situation, which probably isn't surprising.

Early this year AZ Fish and Game was doing a survey door-to-door in our neighborhood looking for folks like us who go out into the wilderness and asking about wildlife management. I assume it had something to do with the flack they took for that Macho B debacle. Some of the questions centered around carrying firearms and using them for protection. They were also asking about the true value of hunting, etc. I hope they publish the results of that survey, at some point.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

dysfunction
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by dysfunction » Apr 29 2009 8:51 am

Are you talking about the folks from the University of Colorado? Wasn't that long before the Macho B issue?
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

no avatar
---
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by --- » Apr 29 2009 11:53 am

I seem to recall a couple of bear attacks that haven't been mentioned yet, but I don't remember if either resulted in fatalities. I believe one occurred in the Rincons several years ago, a backpacker attacked in his sleeping bag. The more recent of the two was about 2 years ago I think, on the Gila River near Kearny, a camper attacked in his sleeping bag.

There are plenty of bears south of Tucson. Pretty much any mountain range of any size (elevation) is likely to have a bear population.

Oh, and as for the poll, I do not hesitate to carry a handgun when I think it is necessary (which is rarely), and sometimes carry nothing. But then I often have a rifle because I am hunting...

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 29 2009 1:05 pm

Jeff MacE wrote:I remember that whole thing like it was yesterday; some buddies of mine and I were camped near Incinerator when it happened. Did you know they came through and booted everyone out of the established campgrounds that morning? .
Wow, that's wild! Do you remember if it was in '96 or '97? I just can't remember. I'm thinking '96, because my daughter was 11, but her b-day is in June, and the camp was in June, and I am not sure which side of her birthday it was.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

aa7jc
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Sierra Vista, AZ

Post by aa7jc » Apr 29 2009 6:21 pm

azbackpackr wrote:
Incidentally, she is graduating from NAU next week! :)
Congratulations!
... and thanks for sharing the story, it was very interesting and worth hearing.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Apr 29 2009 7:34 pm

I'm pretty sure it was 1996, as well.

As to the Colorado thing, I really don't remember. I just remember having a discussion with someone from one of the conservation groups about it and the Macho B thing coming up as possibly related. He was captured long before his death, etc...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

dysfunction
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by dysfunction » Apr 29 2009 7:37 pm

yes, that's my problem. Too many similar conversations at the same time :D

I recall it being 96 as well. I'd ask my wife, but that might bring up bad juju at the SGSC :scared:
mike

"Solvitur ambulando" or maybe by brewers.

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » Apr 29 2009 7:40 pm

Yea, I was going to say I could ask my sister but I know it's a taboo subject around there...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 30 2009 4:46 am

Thanks for the congrats! We are hoping the swine flu hysteria will not cause NAU to cancel graduation ceremonies! I have had a motel reservation for 3 months!

I do remember another bear attack. It was in the Chiricahuas. The Boy Scouts used to own a camp there where they did some primitive camping. I have forgotten the name of it, and they no longer have it. This attack occurred in the early 90's I think, or late 80's. I first heard about it when we first joined Roy Barker's Scout troop in 1992. (I mention Roy Barker, because if you are of a certain age and were in Scouts in Tucson, you probably have heard of him! Or if you ever did any volunteer work at Sabino, you may know him. He's quite a character, and was a lot of fun. He is very old now, if he is still alive.)

Anyway, this boy had a candy bar in his sleeping bag, and the bear wanted it. I seem to recall the boy was dragged or something, but I don't think his injuries were permanent. Anyone remember that one? That camp was infested with bears at the time--one reason the Scouts got rid of that camp. They have enough lawsuits to deal with, what with child molesters, etc.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”