I don't need no stinkin gun! Real men fight with their hands
11%

Total votes: 393

pixelfrog
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by pixelfrog » Aug 05 2002 10:44 am

Hi All,

I was on a beautiful hike this past saturday morning on the Bluffs Springs Trail in the Sups. The Temperature cooperated, the sun was behind clouds, there was a nice breeze and of course anyone who's been out there knows the scenery is increadible.

The only weird thing about the hike was on the way back to the trailhead at the end of my hike probably within a half mile of the peralta trailhead, I ran into these two guys that were all suited up for war games or something. Camo, Knives strapped to gear suspenders, a pistol at the older man's side who had so much facial hair, you could barely see his face.

As I passed them with my hiking poles out the older guy said to me all suprised, "Ski Poles?!!!" I quickly explained they helped the old knees on the way down after I noticed he had a gun at his side. I pretty much smiled and nodded then continued on my way.

Now I'm all for everyone's right to bear arms and all, but seeing this kind of freaked me out. I know it's legal to carry handguns in Arizona and that's fine, but I was thinking there isn't a very large reason to carry a gun out there, especially if you are with another full grown adult male.

I have no idea what their reason would be for bringing those types of weopons out there, and the whole incident was a bit disturbing. I was glad that I encountered these yahoo's close to the trailhead. Anyone else run into any of these gun toting militia type weirdo's?

Paul

kc7txm
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by kc7txm » Dec 02 2002 8:44 pm

I usually carry my CZ 75 B Military in 9x19 mm NATO (Magazine in firearm and round in chamber loaded with Federal Hydra-Shok hollow points - two spare magazines one with Hydra-Shok other with FMJ rounds), sometimes I'll carry my S&W Model 28-2 (.357 Magnum also with Hydra-Shok ammunition - two speed loaders, one snake shot, other more Hydra-Shok) or something else larger. Jane always carries her S&W Model 12 .38 Special +P Airlite with Hydra-Shok ammunition with two speed loaders (one with snake shot, the other with more Hydra-Shok).

Matt Karls

Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Dec 02 2002 10:35 pm

Why am I reminded of that couple in the movie Tremors?
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

olesma

Post by olesma » Dec 03 2002 9:36 am

Daryl wrote:Why am I reminded of that couple in the movie Tremors?
The original Reba appearance! Man that was the best scene of the whole movie!
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein

Wiz
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Wiz » Dec 03 2002 12:16 pm

Broke into the wrong pumpkin rec room!
"The older I get, the better I was."

cactuscat
City, State: Safford

Post by cactuscat » Dec 03 2002 3:37 pm

Yikes!! :o

scottmackey
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by scottmackey » Dec 03 2002 3:41 pm

I carry my leatherman, fully loaded and ready to rock anyone!

no avatar
mtnman33
City, State: Colorado Springs,CO

Post by mtnman33 » Dec 03 2002 4:31 pm

I have done several 1-2 week backcountry trips even in Alaska grizzily country and never felt I needed a gun. Close to trailheads humans scare me the most but deep in the backcountry, I've never run into too scary of people, wierd but not scary.

Seeing people carrying guns in a holster doesn't bother me but target practicing near trails or roads is scary. A few times while mountain biking I've heard bullets whiz by my head. A couple times were just plain carelessness. Another time a couple guys were target practicing parallel to where I was riding and I heard a bullet and thought it was accidental. I got into an opening in the brush and started waving my arms to let them know I was there. They then fired off 3 shots at me and I dove for cover in the brush.

ellehcim

Post by ellehcim » Dec 03 2002 6:17 pm

Ok, I have only got to page 4 so forgive me if I cover other opinions...

A gun is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. At this point in my knowledge of hiking and survival I cannot make a bow/sling or traps to kill animals. If I am really screwed it might be able to get me a little bit of meat from some animal and help me live a little longer.

I was a member of the NRA once until it became appearant that I paid them their dues so they could solicit me for more donations. Now, I dont wanna dis the NRA for the Lobbying power it has and the freedoms it keeps for us, but if I want to donate again it will be anonymously.

I was the armorer of the rifle team in college, and have learned respect for weapons. I wouldnt feel bad if everyone in AZ would have to take a class in firearms before they were issued a liscense. But until that I would rather be armed along with all the dipshits out there that want to play cowboy.

It really comes down to personal choice and what you feel comfortable with in your life.

kc7txm

Post by kc7txm » Dec 03 2002 6:21 pm

Daryl wrote:Why am I reminded of that couple in the movie Tremors?
:wink:

Matt Karls

kc7txm

Post by kc7txm » Dec 03 2002 6:29 pm

mtnman33 wrote:I have done several 1-2 week backcountry trips even in Alaska grizzily country and never felt I needed a gun.
We rarely 'feel the need' to carry firearms. We carry firearms because of the times you don't know you will need a firearm. Like many other people have said a firearm is just another tool at your disposal, and no one ever died from being too prepared. An attempted car jacking, a break in, and several dangerous animals have reminded me through the years that you rarely know ahead of time when you'll need a firearm.

Matt Karls

youngboy
City, State: I wish not to say

Post by youngboy » Dec 03 2002 7:36 pm

why go into the backcountry with a gun, that takes the thrill out of it!

ellehcim

Post by ellehcim » Dec 03 2002 10:51 pm

youngboy wrote:why go into the backcountry with a gun, that takes the thrill out of it!
Why go hiking with water? It takes the thrill out of it!!!

Lizard

Post by Lizard » Dec 03 2002 11:29 pm

ellehcim wrote:Ok, I have only got to page 4 so forgive me if I cover other opinions...

A gun is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. At this point in my knowledge of hiking and survival I cannot make a bow/sling or traps to kill animals. If I am really screwed it might be able to get me a little bit of meat from some animal and help me live a little longer.
You would be better off carrying warm clothing, raingear, and water than a gun, if you want to argue you'll need it for "survival." You can last much longer without food than you can without water or warmth-- a week at least. Its a common misconception that survivalism is all about trapping animals and gathering nuts and berries. Most of it is focused on staying warm and dry and navigating out to civilization.

Unless you are hiking in REAL backcountry like Alaska or Northern Canada, you will not run into a situation where you'll need to gather food to survive.
"Of course we weren't lost. We were merely where we shouldn't have been, without knowing exactly where that was."

kc7txm

Post by kc7txm » Dec 04 2002 12:47 am

Lizard wrote:You would be better off carrying warm clothing, raingear, and water than a gun...
Isn't this kind of the wrong attitude for the be prepared for anything type - I mean why not take warm clothing, raingear, water and a gun?

Matt Karls

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Dec 04 2002 4:47 am

and crampons!

the earth could shift off it's axis and freak blizzards in Arizona might... :lol:

I think Lizard makes a valid point. You judge for the situation, throw in a worst case senerio but be realistic.

Water is important but I don't carry it on Squaw Peak and forget the compass.

Then again, everybody's judgement will be different. Wiz's gun is probably under the AMEX plan, "Don't leave home without it"

do what ya like, and why am I adding to this baheemith post :sweat:
Magic 8 Ball 30 edges, 12 vertices and 20 faces(answers)
HAZ neverending joy
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Dec 04 2002 6:06 am

teva wrote: Wiz's gun is probably under the AMEX plan, "Don't leave home without it"
Durn tootin!

Look, can we summarize here? Everyone's viewpoints are completely valid. If you feel better with a gun, carry it. If not, don't. Whichever choice you make, be prepared to deal with whatever consequences, good or bad, result from your choice.

There don't seem to be any trail-shooters on this site. Guns won't protect you from them, anyway, unless you're inclined to shoot back. Personally, pulling a gun is the very last thing I would do - I'll gladly run from danger if I can, and consider myself lucky for the chance.

We're not going to sway each other to our respective points of view. What's the big deal? In the big picture, I'm sure everyone here who doesn't pack a gun will be nothing but safer if one of us who does is in the area. Certainly not less safe!

One thing is certain: you're safer in the wilderness without a gun than you are in the city.

PS to ellechim: you are DEAD ON about the NRA soliciting you to death! I support them, but that bugs the heck out of me. I wish they'd spend the money they use sending me daily supplications for funds on lobbying activities instead! Ah well..

olesma

Post by olesma » Dec 04 2002 9:40 am

Wiz wrote:We're not going to sway each other to our respective points of view. What's the big deal?
Too true. But there are plenty of people who feel it is necessary to try. Just look at the 14 pages of comments. Some are trying to sway opinions, some stating opinions, and others defending opinions.

Fun reading though.

Its been hard for me to resist making comments throughout, but I find that on a polarizing issue like this, its better if I just shut my trap (keyboard in this case).
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein

youngboy
City, State: I wish not to say

Post by youngboy » Dec 04 2002 1:04 pm

just a suggestion, maybe you could carry something less rambo-like, like the pepper spray for bears. maybe after a couple of sprays, the bear(or animal) would learn to stay away from humans

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Dec 04 2002 1:12 pm

youngboy wrote:just a suggestion, maybe you could carry something less rambo-like, like the pepper spray for bears. maybe after a couple of sprays, the bear(or animal) would learn to stay away from humans
Good idea, but ineffective or worse in the slightest breeze.

Snick33
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Snick33 » Dec 04 2002 1:30 pm

I once thought carrying pepper spray and wearing bells on my ankles was a great idea . . . . until I came across a bear that had pepper breath and jingled when he walked . . . .
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”