I don't need no stinkin gun! Real men fight with their hands
11%

Total votes: 393

pixelfrog
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by pixelfrog » Aug 05 2002 10:44 am

Hi All,

I was on a beautiful hike this past saturday morning on the Bluffs Springs Trail in the Sups. The Temperature cooperated, the sun was behind clouds, there was a nice breeze and of course anyone who's been out there knows the scenery is increadible.

The only weird thing about the hike was on the way back to the trailhead at the end of my hike probably within a half mile of the peralta trailhead, I ran into these two guys that were all suited up for war games or something. Camo, Knives strapped to gear suspenders, a pistol at the older man's side who had so much facial hair, you could barely see his face.

As I passed them with my hiking poles out the older guy said to me all suprised, "Ski Poles?!!!" I quickly explained they helped the old knees on the way down after I noticed he had a gun at his side. I pretty much smiled and nodded then continued on my way.

Now I'm all for everyone's right to bear arms and all, but seeing this kind of freaked me out. I know it's legal to carry handguns in Arizona and that's fine, but I was thinking there isn't a very large reason to carry a gun out there, especially if you are with another full grown adult male.

I have no idea what their reason would be for bringing those types of weopons out there, and the whole incident was a bit disturbing. I was glad that I encountered these yahoo's close to the trailhead. Anyone else run into any of these gun toting militia type weirdo's?

Paul

youngboy
City, State: I wish not to say

Post by youngboy » Dec 04 2002 1:39 pm

wow, that was harsh :cry:

Snick33
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Snick33 » Dec 04 2002 1:41 pm

Didn't mean to offend, it's an old hiking joke, just like me . . . . . .
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

youngboy
City, State: I wish not to say

Post by youngboy » Dec 04 2002 1:49 pm

:D it's all in good fun

Lizard
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Lizard » Dec 04 2002 2:30 pm

kc7txm wrote:
Lizard wrote:You would be better off carrying warm clothing, raingear, and water than a gun...
Isn't this kind of the wrong attitude for the be prepared for anything type - I mean why not take warm clothing, raingear, water and a gun?

Matt Karls
Well, I could carry a gun, I guess. I could also carry a solar still in case I run out of water, or a foldable kayak in case flash floods fill up the washes. You have to draw a line somewhere if you value your back. I'd rather carry a GPS, extra clothing/food, a larger first-aid kit, etc. than a gun, because my perception is that those items address the sorts of emergencies you are actually likely to run into in the wilderness.
"Of course we weren't lost. We were merely where we shouldn't have been, without knowing exactly where that was."

sidhayes

Post by sidhayes » Dec 04 2002 3:31 pm

Lizard......you are a man with wisdom and experience.

kc7txm
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by kc7txm » Dec 05 2002 12:08 am

Lizard wrote:Well, I could carry a gun, I guess. I could also carry a solar still in case I run out of water, or a foldable kayak in case flash floods fill up the washes. You have to draw a line somewhere if you value your back. I'd rather carry a GPS, extra clothing/food, a larger first-aid kit, etc. than a gun, because my perception is that those items address the sorts of emergencies you are actually likely to run into in the wilderness.
I guess we'll have to call it a matter of perception difference then. I know a firearm addresses the sort of emergencies I've found myself in better pound for pound than almost anything else I can think of (if we're talking about a weight issue here).

When you find yourself knee deep in an emergency and you don't have a GPS, yet you need one, you probably will not end up dead, on the other hand when you have an emergency where you require a firearm you may not be so lucky. I hear similar arguments on the same theme, firearms are too heavy, I'd rather optimize my weight for something more important. I don't believe this to be the case, I don't think people like this would carry a firearm at all. If you feel this way say so, don't hide behind a thin veil, I can at least respect your difference of opinion on an issue, but when you hide behind a cover story it is not the same. If you've ever looked into firearms you will find they can come in very, very light alloys, polymers, carbon fiber, etc. which weigh hardly anything. Even a full size pistol does not weight that much. Maybe I'm way off base following a lead that doesn't exist (hey, it's not the first time I'll have been dead wrong) but to me I draw the line on what to pack before one of my only tools that can protect my life, my wife, my family and other innocent people on a hike from many different dangers (God willing of course).

Matt Karls

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Dec 05 2002 6:10 am

Wiz wrote:
Look, can we summarize here?
I guess not!

Look, you guys, you're both right. Lizard, what you said is right for you. Same with you Matt.
"The older I get, the better I was."

CindyC

Post by CindyC » Dec 05 2002 6:14 am

Wiz wrote:
Wiz wrote:
I guess not!

You are a funny man Wiz :lol:
'Achievement lies within the reach of those who reach beyond themselves'

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Dec 05 2002 6:43 am

Cindy Coons wrote:
Wiz wrote:
Wiz wrote:
I guess not!

You are a funny man Wiz :lol:
Ah, life's too short not to laugh about it!

kc7txm

Post by kc7txm » Dec 05 2002 8:54 am

Wiz, it's hard to laugh about a very polarized issue, but I'm ready to :lol: laugh, I've said my peace.

Matt Karls

kc7txm

Post by kc7txm » Dec 05 2002 8:57 am

Wiz, how did you get the moniker 'Scruffy gun-totin' kokopell' - we too are gun-totin' kokopellis.

Matt (and Jane) Karls

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Dec 05 2002 10:21 am

kc7txm wrote:Wiz, how did you get the moniker 'Scruffy gun-totin' kokopell' - we too are gun-totin' kokopellis.

Matt (and Jane) Karls
Actually, on this very thread! I joined in on page 4, and on page 5, Kim said something about gun-toting scruffy types. The rest is history. Teva invented my avatar, bless his little heart.

olesma

Post by olesma » Dec 05 2002 4:31 pm

kc7txm wrote:Wiz, how did you get the moniker 'Scruffy gun-totin' kokopell' - we too are gun-totin' kokopellis.

Matt (and Jane) Karls
Just make a request to Teva and he'll change your title for you.
'Weird is a relative, not an absolute.' - A. Einstein

CindyC

Post by CindyC » Dec 05 2002 7:08 pm

Wiz, Am I mistaken, or maybe haven't paid attention, or have you suddenly gotten younger? :roll:
'Achievement lies within the reach of those who reach beyond themselves'

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Dec 06 2002 6:09 am

Cindy Coons wrote:Wiz, Am I mistaken, or maybe haven't paid attention, or have you suddenly gotten younger? :roll:
What makes you ask that??

Greg Jackson
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Greg Jackson » Dec 06 2002 8:49 pm

Stop it!

22, 62, 42 now 5 (I think I have it right)! Make up your mind! Or your age... :)
Dog is my co-pilot.

Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Dec 07 2002 5:52 am

olesma wrote:
Wiz wrote:We're not going to sway each other to our respective points of view. What's the big deal?
Too true. But there are plenty of people who feel it is necessary to try. Just look at the 14 pages of comments. Some are trying to sway opinions, some stating opinions, and others defending opinions.
This is what makes America great! And this site great! Exchange of opinions, thoughts, and feelings. And I have to say, youngboy, at 14, has offered some good ones. As well as everyone else.
And wiz, whats with 5?

Snick33
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Snick33 » Dec 07 2002 8:19 am

Dog is my co-pilot.
Reminds me of The pessimistic, dyslexic, atheist? He went around all day saying; “There is no dog”
Mother nature seems to like humans, and not just because they taste like chicken

scottmackey
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by scottmackey » Dec 07 2002 4:54 pm

Dog is my co-pilot.
Isn't that what Son of Sam said? :lol:

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Dec 07 2002 6:53 pm

Is that better?

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”