I don't need no stinkin gun! Real men fight with their hands
11%

Total votes: 393

pixelfrog
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by pixelfrog » Aug 05 2002 10:44 am

Hi All,

I was on a beautiful hike this past saturday morning on the Bluffs Springs Trail in the Sups. The Temperature cooperated, the sun was behind clouds, there was a nice breeze and of course anyone who's been out there knows the scenery is increadible.

The only weird thing about the hike was on the way back to the trailhead at the end of my hike probably within a half mile of the peralta trailhead, I ran into these two guys that were all suited up for war games or something. Camo, Knives strapped to gear suspenders, a pistol at the older man's side who had so much facial hair, you could barely see his face.

As I passed them with my hiking poles out the older guy said to me all suprised, "Ski Poles?!!!" I quickly explained they helped the old knees on the way down after I noticed he had a gun at his side. I pretty much smiled and nodded then continued on my way.

Now I'm all for everyone's right to bear arms and all, but seeing this kind of freaked me out. I know it's legal to carry handguns in Arizona and that's fine, but I was thinking there isn't a very large reason to carry a gun out there, especially if you are with another full grown adult male.

I have no idea what their reason would be for bringing those types of weopons out there, and the whole incident was a bit disturbing. I was glad that I encountered these yahoo's close to the trailhead. Anyone else run into any of these gun toting militia type weirdo's?

Paul

pixelfrog

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by pixelfrog » Jun 26 2006 11:41 am

wetbeaverlover wrote:In response to pixelfrog's reply: You find it disturbing that people are exercising their second amendment rights? And complaining about gun toting weirdos while quoting Hunter S. Thompson in your signature quote? Wow, the Irony. Good material for "The Far Side" comic strip, from days of yore.
Wow this thread is still going! crazy!!

wetbeaverlover, you obviously didn't read my opinions in this thread so please do so before you comment. I've already said I support people's second amendment rights. Thanks for playing though.

wetbeaverlover
City, State: Rimrock Az

Post by wetbeaverlover » Jun 26 2006 12:51 pm

In response to pixelfrog's reply: I was referring to your own words, posted on August 4th 2002 which is the first post on this topic.. Quote-->"I have no idea what their reason would be for bringing those types of weopons out there, and the whole incident was a bit disturbing. I was glad that I encountered these yahoo's close to the trailhead. Anyone else run into any of these gun toting militia type weirdos" So, let me get this straight. People practicing their 2nd Amentment rights and carrying their firearms of choice, are Yahoos and gun toting militia type wierdos? Sounds kinda like something John Kerry would say in Massechusetts, while taking another stance in, lets say, Arizona..Indeed, thanks for playing. :)
Dan

pixelfrog

Post by pixelfrog » Jun 26 2006 2:40 pm

you can try to twist my words all you want, my position was clearly stated that I was talking about two individuals I had seen on the trail, nothing more. You are generalizing without reading all my comments.

DarthStiller
City, State: Mesa, AZ

oddballs in the supes

Post by DarthStiller » Jul 07 2006 12:32 pm

I've had two experiences with oddballs. One guy was on the 2nd water trail, close to the Black mesa trail intersection. Short guy, cowboy hat, beard (black). Didnt say anything. Didnt seem friendly. Back in 2002 sometime, I believe.

The other time was in Jan/Feb 2003. I was hiking just past the north side of miner's needle and passed a camp in the morning. Maybe about 5 people total. One guy decided to start his morning by singing a song that had lyrics about his IRA brothers, dying, bombs etc. he also had a very heavy irish accent.

Both times I just kept walking and nothing happened. It can get a little strange, but nothing really unnerving.

Trailmix
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Trailmix » Jul 07 2006 10:39 pm

I have run into folks with guns on the trail...One guy was walking his dog, and looked rather "normal", whatever that means to you. Anyhow, I caught a glimpse of a holseted weapon under his jacket. Did not think much of it, matter of fact, he asked me for directions.

Teetsb7
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Teetsb7 » Jul 10 2006 1:17 am

So it just might be that not all NRA gun totten malitia looking types are no more strange than the next person you meet on the trail. After all strange like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Imagine if you would how strange you or I might look to some passer by at any given time in our lives.

I also thought the, do you pack iron survey results tied to this thread are quit interesting.
67% of the people that particapated in the survey claimed to pack iron at one time or another. Imagine that!!!
No problem can with stand the on slot of sustained thinking

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 10 2006 8:59 am

In response to Teetsb7's reply:

Not all scary-looking people are dangerous.
Not all dangerous people are scary-looking.

My approach is simple. Be cautious and listen to your instincts. Don't do anything to provoke or frighten strangers. I think a frightened person poses a greater threat than almost anything in nature.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jul 10 2006 2:47 pm

I was mtn. biking in a local festival on the Indian Springs/West Fk. Trail near Big Lake. Several of us stopped for a breather. All of a sudden I looked over and there was a bow hunter, all camied-out, face paint and all, standing nearby, being very quiet. I think the other riders were scared of him, but I said, "Hey, how's it going? It's bull elk right now, isn't it? Any luck?" He was quite friendly, just wanted to know what trail we were on, as he had come through the woods and didn't expect to see a bunch of spandexed mtn. bikers going by, I'm sure. The thing is I hunt and shoot, too, so I can relate to them and know what to talk about.

Abe
City, State: Prescott, AZ

Post by Abe » Jul 10 2006 3:43 pm

Wow! Been keeping an eye on this post sinced it resurfaced. Reminds me of that ol' Timex commercial, "Takes a lickin', but keeps on a tickin'."

Or perhaps the movie I watched with my kids, "A Never Ending Story." :D
"Solitude is as needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character." James Russell Lowell

AK
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by AK » Jul 10 2006 10:54 pm

Abe wrote:Wow! Been keeping an eye on this post sinced it resurfaced. Reminds me of that ol' Timex commercial, "Takes a lickin', but keeps on a tickin'."

Or perhaps the movie I watched with my kids, "A Never Ending Story." :D
No kidding!
Aaron

"Can't think of a good signature quote" - Me

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jul 10 2006 10:57 pm

The survey is dredging it back up.

I'm sorry, I can't stop myself from responding :lol: .

joebartels
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by joebartels » Jul 10 2006 11:07 pm

big_load wrote:Not all scary-looking people are dangerous.
Not all dangerous people are scary-looking.
true

It's the nice people that scare the hell out of me!
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

no avatar
steveburns
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by steveburns » Jan 02 2008 3:14 pm

Do not forget most law enforcement agencies make their employees carry at all times, on or off-duty.
Be safe out there no matter what your take on the "carry or not carry" debate.

no avatar
Kachina

Post by Kachina » Jan 04 2008 9:24 pm

I carry when I hike. However I'm more apt to carry more on the in-city hikes, such as South Mountain or Squaw Peak due to the proximity to "civilization". Most parks are starting to warn people about cars getting broken in to and someone who's dumb enough to steal stuff out of a hiker's car is probably dumb enough to try and rob them of their expensive gear. Think about it - my fanny pack ALONE costs $80. Add up all my gear that I carry - even for short hikes - and it's well over $500 worth of stuff without batting an eye.

Face it - criminals are everywhere and every one of us has two choices: become a victim or refuse to be a victim. Unlike some, though, I have quite a bit of training under my belt. Which brings me to my next point. It's ALWAYS better get a concealed carry permit and carry your weapon concealed. You won't freak out the east coast gun-o-phobes and you still protect yourself and your loved ones.

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 06 2008 9:27 am

Gotta love those East-coast types, huh?

Dittos to you, but I find pepper spray helpful, too, especially when cycling in rural towns. Dog goes away, but isn't permanently injured.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jim_H

Post by Jim_H » Feb 05 2008 6:04 pm

If someone wants to carry a concealed weapon on the trail, I'd never know and never think anything about it. I don't care if its a legal gun or otherwise. Out of my sight, out of my mind.

If someone who looks pedestrian carries a visible fire arm on themselves when hiking (which I only ever saw once, and on Humphrey), I just think, "weird". I understand the personal protection idea. The one person I ever really knew who subscribed to this idea would always cite criminals and what not, and he was very knowledgeable about his guns. However, for years he didn't wear a seat belt in a car, and he's obese and in generally bad shape. Are you more likely to be attacked and murdered while hiking, or get into a car crash, or to die from heart disease?

When people get dressed up in camouflage, break out the paramilitary weapons and head out on the trail I think,"there's a bunch of paranoid nuts who want attention". And, what are they so paranoid about? It also seems like a very poor use of public lands, and should probably be illegal.

Why do I think this? Because if they are serious anti-government types, or really into the paramilitary lifestyle, they should not be on public recreation areas where people who are not into that lifestyle will be threatened, literally or by their presence. They should be on private property where they will not draw attention to themselves. They could go paint balling and target practicing to fulfill this fetish, but there is no reason that we as tax payers need be subjected to this kind tacit intimidation. Besides, are they destroying public property, what are they doing that they need these weapons for? Destroy your own property, not everyone else's.
The camo thing just reeks of,"look at me, I need attention", in much the same way as an Escalade with spinners or most of the bizzarre crap I see when I go to the valley does.
Are you ready for some women's volleyball!?!? Some Monday night women's volleyball!!

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Feb 05 2008 8:04 pm

Somewhat related: Last time I was in Tucson we were driving down Grant and there was a guy on a motorcycle in front of us with a semi-auto rifle (SKS maybe) slung over his shoulder, putting along. Kind of strange, seemed like an ungainly weapon to bring on a cycle.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

dgroat
City, State: Cottonwood, AZ

Post by dgroat » Feb 07 2008 7:35 am

Ever been out hiking and hear bullets whistling overhead? A little unnerving to say the least.

As for myself, I agree with the guy who simply said guns are heavy and carry a large responsibilty. I go outdoors to feel free. Even though that puts me at risk of criminals and grizzly bears, that's a chance I'm willing to take.

Right now, I still feel pretty safe on the trail. Maybe that will change in the futture. I hope not.

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Feb 07 2008 10:38 am

PageRob wrote:Somewhat related: Last time I was in Tucson we were driving down Grant and there was a guy on a motorcycle in front of us with a semi-auto rifle (SKS maybe) slung over his shoulder, putting along. Kind of strange, seemed like an ungainly weapon to bring on a cycle.
It's even more disturbing when you see helmet-less, sandal-clad ATV-ers carrying an SKS as they buzz off onto an FSR not far from where you were planning on setting up camp. I always find it interesting how much you can learn about a person in an instant just by the weapon he/she is carrying. You can also make a lot of assumptions about the presumed level of responsibility of that person, as well; many of which, unfortunately, will turn out to be correct most of the time. I should probably leave it at that, for now...

Jeff

te_wa
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Post by te_wa » Feb 07 2008 11:02 am

Jeff MacE wrote:It's even more disturbing when you see helmet-less, sandal-clad ATV-ers carrying an SKS as they buzz off onto an FSR not far from where you were planning on setting up camp. I always find it interesting how much you can learn about a person in an instant just by the weapon he/she is carrying. Jeff
that's nothin'! I was out on fr 172a heading up to Rogers Trough and I saw one of your sandal clad, wife beater wearing, no eyewear havin' hillbillys on a new ATV with no less than a 1 year old baby riding on the gas tank doing about 25 around a sharp corner, oblivious to my 5400lb vehicle. Now here's the kicker... the baby was carrying an SKS! :o
:D

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”