Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Guides none
Linked Areas none

To pack or not to pack, iron that is...

You betcha!
155
39%
No way!
60
15%
Ya but it depends on the location
125
32%
Other: Crossbow / Slingshot / Homemade Device
11
3%
I don't need no stinkin gun! Real men fight with their hands
42
11%
 
Total votes: 393

User avatar
pixelfrog
Posts: 152
Joined: Apr 11 2002 10:00 am
City, State: Chandler, AZ
Contact:

Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by pixelfrog » Aug 05 2002 10:44 am

Hi All,

I was on a beautiful hike this past saturday morning on the Bluffs Springs Trail in the Sups. The Temperature cooperated, the sun was behind clouds, there was a nice breeze and of course anyone who's been out there knows the scenery is increadible.

The only weird thing about the hike was on the way back to the trailhead at the end of my hike probably within a half mile of the peralta trailhead, I ran into these two guys that were all suited up for war games or something. Camo, Knives strapped to gear suspenders, a pistol at the older man's side who had so much facial hair, you could barely see his face.

As I passed them with my hiking poles out the older guy said to me all suprised, "Ski Poles?!!!" I quickly explained they helped the old knees on the way down after I noticed he had a gun at his side. I pretty much smiled and nodded then continued on my way.

Now I'm all for everyone's right to bear arms and all, but seeing this kind of freaked me out. I know it's legal to carry handguns in Arizona and that's fine, but I was thinking there isn't a very large reason to carry a gun out there, especially if you are with another full grown adult male.

I have no idea what their reason would be for bringing those types of weopons out there, and the whole incident was a bit disturbing. I was glad that I encountered these yahoo's close to the trailhead. Anyone else run into any of these gun toting militia type weirdo's?

Paul

User avatar
nonot
Posts: 1925
Joined: Nov 18 2005 11:52 pm
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by nonot » Nov 11 2008 8:22 pm

I severely doubt the "gun nuts" are in the minority of gun owners.

Case in point:

http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=77913

That took more than one gun and more than a few clips
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

User avatar
Jeffshadows
Posts: 2590
Joined: Jan 30 2008 8:46 am
City, State: Old Pueblo

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by Jeffshadows » Nov 11 2008 8:58 pm

nonot wrote:I severely doubt the "gun nuts" are in the minority of gun owners.

Case in point:

http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=77913

That took more than one gun and more than a few clips
I suppose it's easier to assume the worst in people you share nothing in common with...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

User avatar
nonot
Posts: 1925
Joined: Nov 18 2005 11:52 pm
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by nonot » Nov 12 2008 12:36 am

Yes, because I am assuming those bullet holes are figments of my imagination. They aren't real, neither were the richochets. And for that matter, neither was the water in fish creek. I have yet to stroll across a forest service sign not peppered with small arms fire, gimme a break.

Maybe I should stroll out my front door and pop off a few rounds, oh wait, the cops will show up...I'll just go to some forest service road and shoot at the signs. ;)

This is the depth of thought of 99% of the sheeple. And to reward myself for this brilliant plan, I'm doing beer curls afterwards, and tossing the cans on the ground rather than take them home so the cops won't figure out I'm drunk when I get pulled over, either!!!!!!!!

This plan cannot fail!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


:oplz:
http://hikearizona.com/garmin_maps.php

Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, ankle-twisting, HAZmaster crushing ROCKS!!
Hike Arizona it is full of sharp, pointy, shin-stabbing, skin-shredding plants!
Hike Arizona it is full of striking, biting, stabbing, venomous wildlife!

User avatar
Jeffshadows
Posts: 2590
Joined: Jan 30 2008 8:46 am
City, State: Old Pueblo

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by Jeffshadows » Nov 12 2008 10:05 am

Poor misguided soul you are painting with far too wide a brush; not everyone with a gun is a redneck living in a trailer whose only desire is to use the weapon for entertainment. Many of us consider keeping our marksmanship skills sharp a personal responsibility. The reasons why are our own business, and that's a freedom we enjoy in this country. One reason might be that banking on the social control mechanisms we have in this country always being there for you (Police, etc) is about as safe a bet as the stock market.

The real problem here is enforcement. I consider this a personal responsibility, also. If I see idiots behaving badly I usually confront them. Nine times out of ten they stop and apologize. I don't expect everyone to do this, but you do have other avenues available to pursue. What I can't abide is when people gripe after doing nothing, not reporting what they saw, and voting against every proposition that would expand the FS and NPS so that they could possibly hire more law enforcement rangers.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

User avatar
soren2004
Posts: 10
Joined: Aug 07 2003 12:04 pm
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by soren2004 » Nov 13 2008 1:08 pm

You know everytime I bring my child down to our local park I find piles of dog droppings everywhere. There are so many irresponsible dog owners out there that just won't clean up THEIR own messes and constantly ruin it for everyone else.

So i guess with the above logic every dog owner out there is an irresponsible-beer swilling-redneck.

But there is a 100% solution to this problem. We can outlaw dogs. They serve no purpose except to consume food and then apparently leave it in the parks where our children play. And those people who own them obviously cannot or will not control them. So to all those dog owners out there who enjoy their pets for enterainment purposes and are responsible I'm sorry but you can find other means of keeping yourself busy.

User avatar
chumley
Posts: 6996
Joined: Sep 18 2002 8:59 am
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by chumley » Nov 13 2008 2:04 pm

After we outlaw dogs, we should outlaw swimming pools. Because swimming pools kill children. At least a dozen kids die every year in Arizona because of swimming pools. The only solution to protect kids from this danger is to ban swimming pools. :roll:
Profound observer

User avatar
te_wa
Posts: 2486
Joined: Aug 22 2003 9:16 pm
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by te_wa » Nov 13 2008 2:31 pm

chumley wrote: At least a dozen kids die every year in Arizona because of swimming pools.
at least a dozen children die because of poor parenting. teaching a child to swim is not only easy, it saves lives.
:D

User avatar
chumley
Posts: 6996
Joined: Sep 18 2002 8:59 am
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by chumley » Nov 13 2008 3:13 pm

te-wa wrote:at least a dozen children die because of poor parenting. teaching a child to swim is not only easy, it saves lives.
Wait! Are you suggesting that kids die because of irresponsible adults, not because there's a danger in the backyard? GASP!!!!
Guns = Swimming Pools :-k
Profound observer

User avatar
Jeffshadows
Posts: 2590
Joined: Jan 30 2008 8:46 am
City, State: Old Pueblo

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by Jeffshadows » Nov 13 2008 4:15 pm

chumley wrote:
te-wa wrote:at least a dozen children die because of poor parenting. teaching a child to swim is not only easy, it saves lives.
Wait! Are you suggesting that kids die because of irresponsible adults, not because there's a danger in the backyard? GASP!!!!
Guns = Swimming Pools :-k
..I have both...we may be onto something scientific :sl:
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

User avatar
te_wa
Posts: 2486
Joined: Aug 22 2003 9:16 pm
City, State: 221b Baker St.

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by te_wa » Nov 13 2008 4:21 pm

i figured ya'll would see the obvious.... i dont have any guns but sure do like 'em
:D

User avatar
wallyfrack
Posts: 365
Joined: Mar 11 2003 7:33 pm
City, State: AZ

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by wallyfrack » Nov 13 2008 4:36 pm

I have both guns and a pool. I use the guns to keep them naked hikers out of my pool. :gun: ;)

User avatar
Al_HikesAZ
Posts: 1348
Joined: May 16 2005 1:01 pm
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Nov 13 2008 5:09 pm

I think Wally just successfully combined these threads.

And Mike is brilliant
te-wa wrote:at least a dozen children die because of poor parenting. . . ..
Not sure why I didn't figure this out before. If we outlaw parents, we would have no naked hikers, no scary militia types. Solves everything. :sl:
If parents are outlawed will only outlaws have parents.

I love the Chris Rock comedy routine on bullet control. He argues that we don't need gun control. If each bullet costs $5,000 you won't see any innocent bystanders getting shot. :gun:
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

User avatar
Jim_H
Posts: 4750
Joined: Sep 08 2006 8:14 pm
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by Jim_H » Nov 23 2008 12:13 pm

Couldn't we just do the most logical thing and outlaw children? They're just annoying and expensive, and who would miss them, really who would miss them?
Rocks!!

User avatar
writelots
Posts: 969
Joined: Nov 22 2005 2:20 pm
City, State: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by writelots » Nov 24 2008 9:58 am

Al_HikesAZ wrote: If we outlaw parents, we would have no naked hikers, no scary militia types. Solves everything.
jhodlof wrote:Couldn't we just do the most logical thing and outlaw children? They're just annoying and expensive, and who would miss them, really who would miss them?
I think we really are onto something here...outlaw parents AND children. Then, not only do we solve the problem of who is in danger where, and who's not watching whom - but in short order we also begin to solve the whole crowding issue. Trails will be deserted, resources will be plentiful and quiet will no longer be a rare comodity. Of course, we've got the whole issue of extinction of the species - but I think that's a given eventually anyhow. Might as well enjoy our final years in peace...
-----------------------------------
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.- Barack Obama

User avatar
scorpion scus
Posts: 44
Joined: Aug 12 2005 6:03 pm
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by scorpion scus » Nov 24 2008 11:01 am

hey i hike naked w/a gun on my hip belt and i have a pool. i'm just terrible. :o

User avatar
Jeffshadows
Posts: 2590
Joined: Jan 30 2008 8:46 am
City, State: Old Pueblo

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by Jeffshadows » Nov 24 2008 1:03 pm

"...Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range..."


"Hey pal, just what you see!!"
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

User avatar
chumley
Posts: 6996
Joined: Sep 18 2002 8:59 am
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by chumley » Dec 20 2008 12:23 am

ChefTIO wrote:Something tells me that this thread will still be going when Joe releases his 2015 version of HAZ Calendar. :)
OK, I copied that from the nudist thread, but really, can't the same be said for this one? :doh:
Profound observer

User avatar
Jeffshadows
Posts: 2590
Joined: Jan 30 2008 8:46 am
City, State: Old Pueblo

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by Jeffshadows » Dec 20 2008 7:18 am

chumley wrote:
ChefTIO wrote:Something tells me that this thread will still be going when Joe releases his 2015 version of HAZ Calendar. :)
OK, I copied that from the nudist thread, but really, can't the same be said for this one? :doh:
...Probably.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

no avatar
Chris delCampo
Posts: 1
Joined: Dec 03 2008 4:54 pm
City, State: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by Chris delCampo » Jan 21 2009 6:46 pm

I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to chime in when I saw the line "Scary NRA Militia Types". Anti-NRA propaganda generated by many media outlets is very effective and enduring. NRA members like myself and family and friends are safe firearm owners who know that the 2nd Ammendment means that firearms are meant to be kept and used properly by U.S. Citizens in good standing. The great majority of NRA members are well educated and well behaved persons in society. Are there a couple of bad apples? Probably. But in any association of 4 million plus members you will have some that just don't behave the way that they ought to. It is that simple. So, for the person or persons who accept the stereotype of NRA members as some sort of fanatics, please give it a second thought. We strive to protect our very important 2nd Ammendment rights just as ACLU members strive to protect our equally important 1st ammendment rights.

On the subject of rattlesnakes - I'm not a big fan of them but I would never shoot them without reason. I own English Setters that I use in the pursuit of gamebirds. The funny thing about Bird-dogs is that they point Snakes because they confuse snake scent with game scent. I've had two occasions where a dog of mine locks up on a Rattler wih a separation of about 2 feet. It is on those occasions that the snake must go. There is no way to get the dog off point without provoking the snake to bite. It is just fact. I throw this out because in a number of the comments no one could think of a good reason to dispatch a Rattlesnake. This is one.

Good luck to everyone on the trails and remember if you see a sidearm on someone's hip it is very doubtful that they have any nefarious plans ahead. If bad intentions was the play it seems that criminals would keep them concealed until they brought them to use to heighten the surprise factor.

User avatar
Strand
Posts: 44
Joined: Oct 23 2008 2:43 am
City, State: Grants, NM

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by Strand » Jan 24 2009 4:40 pm

So do you eat the snake afterword? :)

I get your point, and have to agree on both accounts. NRA members are like any other segment of society, and are generally good responsible people. Too bad the media is so anti-gun, and therefore only shows one side of the NRA story. They keep reiterating that same moronic mantra, "you don't need an assault rifle to hunt deer". Please, someone show me where the 2nd amendment mentions deer hunting as the reason for the right to bear arms...

If a snake were about to bite my german shorthair pointer, I'd blow the snake to bits too!
"Look deep into nature, and the you will understand everything better" Albert Einstein

Post Reply

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”


cron