I don't need no stinkin gun! Real men fight with their hands
11%

Total votes: 393

pixelfrog
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by pixelfrog » Aug 05 2002 10:44 am

Hi All,

I was on a beautiful hike this past saturday morning on the Bluffs Springs Trail in the Sups. The Temperature cooperated, the sun was behind clouds, there was a nice breeze and of course anyone who's been out there knows the scenery is increadible.

The only weird thing about the hike was on the way back to the trailhead at the end of my hike probably within a half mile of the peralta trailhead, I ran into these two guys that were all suited up for war games or something. Camo, Knives strapped to gear suspenders, a pistol at the older man's side who had so much facial hair, you could barely see his face.

As I passed them with my hiking poles out the older guy said to me all suprised, "Ski Poles?!!!" I quickly explained they helped the old knees on the way down after I noticed he had a gun at his side. I pretty much smiled and nodded then continued on my way.

Now I'm all for everyone's right to bear arms and all, but seeing this kind of freaked me out. I know it's legal to carry handguns in Arizona and that's fine, but I was thinking there isn't a very large reason to carry a gun out there, especially if you are with another full grown adult male.

I have no idea what their reason would be for bringing those types of weopons out there, and the whole incident was a bit disturbing. I was glad that I encountered these yahoo's close to the trailhead. Anyone else run into any of these gun toting militia type weirdo's?

Paul

fairweather8588
City, State: Scottsdale

Re: Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by fairweather8588 » Mar 26 2010 8:13 pm

Al_HikesAZ wrote: I can't see hunting bear alone under any circumstances.
That's because you've never met me : rambo : I dont even bring a gun when I'm out lookin' for teddys

(kidding)
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

Al_HikesAZ
City, State: Scottsdale, AZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Mar 27 2010 8:35 am

fairweather8588 wrote:
Al_HikesAZ wrote: I can't see hunting bear alone under any circumstances.
That's because you've never met me : rambo : I dont even bring a gun when I'm out lookin' for teddys
(kidding)
:sl: :worthy:
That's the best laugh I've had in a long time.
Anybody can make a hike harder. The real skill comes in making the hike easier.
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

Sun_Ray

Post by Sun_Ray » Mar 27 2010 12:07 pm

Al thanks for posting the hunting season dates. Now I just have to remember to wear my bright colors when I hike!
Brian
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday......there is no SOMEDAY!

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Mar 27 2010 12:12 pm

Sun Ray wrote:Al thanks for posting the hunting season dates. Now I just have to remember to wear my bright colors when I hike!
Sun Ray - some of those are archery seasons mixed in. Archers can typically tell a hiker from a muley (or cow). Seasons can vary a little by hunting unit. That info is from the Arizona Game & Fish website and can be checked by anybody anytime. Here's the link to 24A http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units_24b.shtml Look at the bottom under the "UNIT SUMMARY" for dates and pertinent info. You can navigate from there to any Unit.
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them? George Carlin
Not if we can help it UNCLE JACK. http://www.sleepingdogtv.com/reel/Uncle-Jack.aspx Not if we can help it.

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Apr 18 2010 8:43 am

Every time I go on a hike or backpacking I take mine. Wish I would have gone smaller in size and weight. But I would still carry it if it weight 30lbs.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

azbackpackr
City, State: Flag-summer-Needles-winter

Post by azbackpackr » Apr 18 2010 9:08 am

The interesting thing about this to me is that the people I have met who have hiked the most years and the most miles in Arizona, never carry. As I have said, I do carry sometimes, but not always. There is rabies present in the Blue Range, for example--rabid foxes, skunks, bobcats, etc.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Wild Bill
City, State: Deer Creek Az.

Post by Wild Bill » Jul 14 2010 2:14 pm

Protect yourself! I've hiked all of Arizona, as many miles as anyone I've ever met, I'm a bored Marine with to much time on my hands, I've encountered several Bears,Mountain Lionss, where I hike. I do carry a gun but I've never even pulled it out,other than to clean it. But I do believe the other humans are our worse threat in the wilderness areas
Last edited by Wild Bill on Sep 02 2010 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al_HikesAZ

Post by Al_HikesAZ » Sep 01 2010 11:15 am

It's non-NRA types that scare me:
Hiker accidentally shoots himself in the rear
The Associated Press Posted: 08/31/2010 12:31:13 PM PDT

WENATCHEE, Wash.—A hiker on Blewett Pass shot himself in the butt when he put a handgun in his back pocket. The Chelan County sheriff's office said the 52-year-old Snohomish man had moved his .40-caliber handgun from its holster to his back pocket Saturday to see if that position would be more comfortable.
The Wenatchee World reported the gun fired the bullet down his left buttock and left leg, coming to rest just above the knee. He was treated at Central Washington Hospital in Wenatchee.

Information from: The Wenatchee World, http://www.wenatcheeworld.com
Sounds like this hiker needed some NRA Gun Safety training. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cringe.

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Sep 01 2010 11:20 am

The heck with the training...Sounds more like he needs a brain!! A round chambered and no safety? Gives responsible firearms owners a bad name...

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 01 2010 12:17 pm

PLC92084 wrote:A round chambered and no safety? Gives responsible firearms owners a bad name...
I read some of the posted comments on there yesterday, including one claiming that keeping a round chambered is critical to achieving fast enough response in a defense situation. Plaxico Burress apparently thought so, too, with similar results.

PLC92084
City, State: Vista, CA

Post by PLC92084 » Sep 01 2010 12:35 pm

Some like to carry in Condition One (round chambered, weapon cocked, safety on). That's pushing the envelope a bit too far (especially if you're just out hiking) IMHO. I can't think of any situation on the trail that would lead me to carry in that fashion... I carry in Condition Two or Three and have never had an AD or other mishap.

For these dodos, Darwinian principles aren't working as well as they should...

Jeffshadows
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » Sep 01 2010 1:33 pm

I carried many "hot" weapons for prolonged periods in some of the most stressful situations a human can imagine and so still do literally tens of thousands of US servicemen\women, federal agents, and others as we speak; and I still carry a "red" weapon safety-on whenever I do actually carry (Which is getting rarer and rarer by the day; I generally feel safer out on a trail than I do sitting in a lecture hall at the UA, for example.) I've never had anything ever approaching an "incident" and the only accidental shooting I ever encountered was a portly telecommunications contractor who shot himself in the foot playing John Wayne in the MNF-I headquarters (JOC) far away from any battle or threat.

If you are truly carrying to defend yourself, you need to carry that way otherwise you will likely be had long before your weapon is ready to go. I welcome dissenting opinions because I have seen it happen, first hand. People who carry to feel "manly" need not pay attention... ;)
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

big_load
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Sep 01 2010 1:41 pm

Yeah, but I bet you were using a holster instead of your back pocket.

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Sep 01 2010 1:45 pm

big_load wrote:Yeah, but I bet you were using a holster instead of your back pocket.
Holster, sling, dashboard, cup holder, you name it... :sl:
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Thoreau
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Thoreau » Sep 01 2010 4:47 pm

PLC92084 wrote:Some like to carry in Condition One (round chambered, weapon cocked, safety on). That's pushing the envelope a bit too far (especially if you're just out hiking) IMHO. I can't think of any situation on the trail that would lead me to carry in that fashion... I carry in Condition Two or Three and have never had an AD or other mishap.

For these dodos, Darwinian principles aren't working as well as they should...
I carry with one in the chamber and no safety with all three of my handguns and I too have never had any AD or other mishap =) Carry condition really boils down to the user. Some can't be trusted with a pellet gun, let alone chambered carry, others have no problem, and there are many places in between the two. Considering my gun simply does NOT leave the holster (and for hiking/backpacking/other outdoor activities it's carried in a level 2 retention holster) it pretty much makes an AD (sorry, have to change that to ND... I don't believe there's such a thing as an *accidental* discharge, so much as a *negligent* discharge) a non-issue.

Unlike some folks I know who carry with nothing in the chamber, safety on, and a holster that may take a week to get the gun out of under stress, I just eliminate unnecessary steps ahead of time. I'm already carrying for what is an 'unlikely' event (hopefully.) Why suddenly ignore the low-probability scenarios by assuming that one will have the time and ability to deal with those extra steps?

The genius in the article, however, was simply an idiot, and darwin at least gave him a swift kick (bullet) in the butt for it =)

chumley
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Sep 01 2010 6:49 pm

Too bad he wasn't carrying in his front pocket. Darwin could have taken care of any future generations right there.
Profound observer

PaleoRob
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » Sep 01 2010 6:59 pm

Thoreau wrote:I carry with one in the chamber and no safety with all three of my handguns and I too have never had any AD or other mishap (snip) the time and ability to deal with those extra steps?
Thoreau speaks truth.
It should also be noted that some weapons do not have a safety (my wife's Kel-Tec, for example).
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Jeffshadows

Post by Jeffshadows » Sep 01 2010 7:26 pm

PageRob wrote:
Thoreau wrote:I carry with one in the chamber and no safety with all three of my handguns and I too have never had any AD or other mishap (snip) the time and ability to deal with those extra steps?
Thoreau speaks truth.
It should also be noted that some weapons do not have a safety (my wife's Kel-Tec, for example).
Glocks either, technically...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

kevinweitzel75
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Post by kevinweitzel75 » Sep 02 2010 5:43 pm

I carry a Glock with me, one in the chamber. Never had a mishap and don't plan on it either. But I have also be around guns and have been taught to respect a gun from the time I can remember. ALL guns are loaded all the time. Thats the way I look at it.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

VVebb
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by VVebb » Jan 21 2011 9:21 pm

I don't carry, but I respect those who do. Keep in mind that many people who carry are current- or ex-military or -law enforcement. These folks are taught the danger and potential value of carrying a gun. Some of them carry openly and might seem intimidating to folks who haven't grown up around guns, but based on the moderate amount of time I've spent around "gun nuts" in my life, I can assure you that most of them are VERY responsible.

Most of the hikers on this website don't want to be associated with the inexperienced folks who get stranded on Camelback Mtn or out in the Sups with nothing more than a 20oz bottle of water, and most of the people who carry guns don't want to be associated with the rare few people who use them irresponsibly.
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom. Yet to camp out at all implies some measure of this delight."

-- Theodore Roosevelt, The Publishers' Weekly, Nov. 25, 1905

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”