I don't need no stinkin gun! Real men fight with their hands
11%

Total votes: 393

pixelfrog
City, State: Chandler, AZ

Scary NRA Militia types?!!

Post by pixelfrog » Aug 05 2002 10:44 am

Hi All,

I was on a beautiful hike this past saturday morning on the Bluffs Springs Trail in the Sups. The Temperature cooperated, the sun was behind clouds, there was a nice breeze and of course anyone who's been out there knows the scenery is increadible.

The only weird thing about the hike was on the way back to the trailhead at the end of my hike probably within a half mile of the peralta trailhead, I ran into these two guys that were all suited up for war games or something. Camo, Knives strapped to gear suspenders, a pistol at the older man's side who had so much facial hair, you could barely see his face.

As I passed them with my hiking poles out the older guy said to me all suprised, "Ski Poles?!!!" I quickly explained they helped the old knees on the way down after I noticed he had a gun at his side. I pretty much smiled and nodded then continued on my way.

Now I'm all for everyone's right to bear arms and all, but seeing this kind of freaked me out. I know it's legal to carry handguns in Arizona and that's fine, but I was thinking there isn't a very large reason to carry a gun out there, especially if you are with another full grown adult male.

I have no idea what their reason would be for bringing those types of weopons out there, and the whole incident was a bit disturbing. I was glad that I encountered these yahoo's close to the trailhead. Anyone else run into any of these gun toting militia type weirdo's?

Paul

no avatar
javelinaj
City, State: Miami, AZ

Post by javelinaj » Aug 07 2002 6:58 pm

Right on. 'nuff be 'nuff. But in the vein of the Supes....buddy and I on a 'pack in 1970 found what appeared to be a Spanish-type sandal from times of yore, on east face of Bluff Springs Mtn. Old dude from my childhood (he was from Globe) said that in circa 1940 he'd found what appeared to be remains of a Conquistadore-like metal breastplate, north side of present-day Apache Lake, near Alder Cove. I'd be pleased to share details of these and other related finds with others who may've encountered such.
And I'll keep my live warm hands around it.
Be talkin',
Javelinaj

ck_1
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by ck_1 » Aug 07 2002 11:29 pm

Daryl wrote:With all the talk about how the NRA supports/promtes gun safety, I though this was pretty funny and well timed.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... n_pistol_2

I didn't know it was loaded officer...
This one is even more appropriate, sad really, but illustrates a point..

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/new ... 807295.htm
'The Journey is the Destination!'

Wiz
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Wiz » Aug 08 2002 3:30 am

I'm not sure I see the point of these two articles, unless it's to underscore the need for an organization like the NRA promoting gun safety. If you're trying to illustrate a need for gun control, I'll be glad to offer up lots of articles illustrating the need for knife control, pool control, car control, high places control, bathtub control, restrictions on almost everything there is.
There's no way to keep morons from hurting themselves one way or another. We're all responsible for our actions.

Now, if you will all forgive my unintentional crusading, I'll get off my soapbox and hopefully we can return to more enjoyable issues, such as HIKING.

jeremy77777
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by jeremy77777 » Aug 08 2002 5:10 am

Only an idiot would point a gun at his face. He was probably drunk :roll:
Oh Be Wise, Need I Say More?
- Jeremy

azhiker96
City, State: Gilbert, AZ

Post by azhiker96 » Aug 08 2002 7:12 am

Some folks are freaked out by guns, knives, BDU's, beards, dirty clothes, etc. For whatever reason they feel uncomfortable. All the discussion in the world won't change that. Personally, I don't worry about the tool. I worry about the person or being in charge of it. If I don't feel comfortable around a person, I move on quickly while keeping aware of my surroundings and them. That's the same thing I do if an animal alarms me.

Daryl
City, State: Lake Stevens, WA

Post by Daryl » Aug 08 2002 7:36 am

I just thought the article was funny considering the conversation going on in the forum (funny only because no one was hurt). Two NRA boosters making horrific mistakes in gun safety, on a stage! Never hand a loaded gun to someone without them knowing it's loaded. Never pull a clip out of a gun and assume it's not loaded with out checking and double checking the chamber. Never accept or take a gun and assume it's not loaded without checking. Never put your finger on the trigger unless you are planning on firing the gun...

I guess maybe they should go back to the NRA and take some training. I'm pro-gun and indifferent on the NRA, but this situatuion was just plain stupid and does not make the NRA look good.
Last edited by Daryl on Aug 08 2002 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid”
John Wayne as Sergeant John M. Stryker, USMC in “The Sands of Iwo Jima”

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Aug 08 2002 8:17 am

Unless I misread the article badly, it said the guy that received the gun was in the NRA, not the guy who handed it to him without checking. I suspect it was also not the NRA guy who pulled the trigger, since everyone in the NRA knows to KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE @#$% TRIGGER until you are ready to fire.

But these people are great examples of what's in the shallow end of the gene pool. Especially the guy who shot himself. Jeez!

MaryPhyl
City, State: Flagstaff, AZ

Post by MaryPhyl » Aug 08 2002 8:47 am

Ummmm a good way to not shoot yourself is to not have a gun?

pixelfrog

Post by pixelfrog » Aug 08 2002 9:44 am

azhiker96 wrote:Some folks are freaked out by guns, knives, BDU's, beards, dirty clothes, etc. For whatever reason they feel uncomfortable. All the discussion in the world won't change that. Personally, I don't worry about the tool. I worry about the person or being in charge of it. If I don't feel comfortable around a person, I move on quickly while keeping aware of my surroundings and them. That's the same thing I do if an animal alarms me.

Yeah azhiker96, I agree with you 100% on all these points and always do this and did it that day when I passed those two guys.

Conversely to the two guys I passed at the end of the day, earlier I ran into a really friendly guy out there on the trail. He was a middle aged guy with a really old school orange external frame backpack who had a gear breakdown and was doing a quick fix on the trail. We had a little conversation about the history of the sups and where he was headed, Charlebois Spring. Looked at some maps and he helped me locate the Weavers crosscut trail.

Anyway I truely believe the majority of the people out there on the trail are good and rarely do I feel uncomfortable when I pass or run into other hikers other than it slighty interupting my solitude. :P

P

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Aug 08 2002 10:58 am

I'm new here - what's a BDU?

no avatar
Kim

Post by Kim » Aug 08 2002 11:15 am

I do not worry about the gun toting, scruffy types. Only if they have a campfire. :twisted: Just kidding, a little light hearted humor! :P

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Aug 08 2002 11:21 am

MaryPhyl wrote:Ummmm a good way to not shoot yourself is to not have a gun?
True, if you don't think you can handle the responsibility of owning something, you shouldn't own it. This goes for everything, not just guns.

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Aug 08 2002 12:23 pm

We gun-toting scruffy types always welcome fellow hikers to our campfires!

I'm serious - what's a BDU?

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 08 2002 12:50 pm

Battle Dress Uniform
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Aug 08 2002 12:54 pm

Not sure what the letters stand for, but BDU's are the camo uniforms the armed forces wear with all the pockets. They come in a variety of colors and camo patterns and you can get them at military surplus stores. BDU pants are great, but since they scare so many people I'm going to stop wearing them :D

ck_1
City, State: Mesa, AZ

Post by ck_1 » Aug 08 2002 2:23 pm

Daryl wrote: BDU pants are great, but since they scare so many people I'm going to stop wearing them :D
I can understand you completely...I used to hike in a Ninja outfit, ya know, the all black uniform with the black belt and two spilt toe shoes....I'd have my throwing stars stuck in the belt along with my nunchucks.

But, it seems to have been a bit disconcerting to other hikers, so I stopped wearing it...

This is a point of interest...the NRA and Ninjas both have safety and training courses...feel free to check them out at

http://www.nra.org
http://numchucks.com/
'The Journey is the Destination!'

pixelfrog

Post by pixelfrog » Aug 08 2002 3:45 pm

Hey Colin,

Check out the "Official" Ninja Homepage! ha ha, chuckle chuckle. :lol: :lol:

This is a good one. Wouldn't want to run into any of these guys on the trail.

http://www.realultimatepower.net/

P

joebartels

Post by joebartels » Aug 08 2002 3:48 pm

Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Crymzon

Post by Crymzon » Aug 08 2002 4:05 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I can't get the silly "official" ninja theme song out of my head!!!!!!

Awesome site though!!!!! LOL :lol: :lol:
Not all who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

jeremy77777
City, State: Queen Creek, AZ

Post by jeremy77777 » Aug 08 2002 6:04 pm

MaryPhyl wrote:Ummmm a good way to not shoot yourself is to not have a gun?
And a good way not to cut yourself is not to own a knife. The best way not to get fried by elecricity is not to have power. A good way not to drowned is never go in the water. A good way not to get lost is never go adventuring. And the best way to avoid a car crash is never getting in a car.....
Oh Be Wise, Need I Say More?
- Jeremy

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”