Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none
base871
Seed Gatherin' Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe

New AZ CCW law

Post by base871 » May 18 2010 7:36 pm

So now that everyone in the state can carry concealed soon, I was just wondering what the benefit of having my ccw permit is. I can only think of 3- 1) Still dont have to do the NCIS background check. 2)Can carry in a bar or places serving food. 3) Can carry concealed in 32 other states. Anyone know of any other good reasons to renew it?
Also, what about on NPS land? The law states that you must follow the rules of the state the park is in. Does that mean once the new law takes effect we can all carry conceled too?
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

kevinweitzel75
Kokevinkopelli
City, State: Mesa, AZ.

Re: New AZ CCW law

Post by kevinweitzel75 » May 18 2010 8:55 pm

I was thinking about that last week. I never got a ccw permit. Never had a reason to carry all the time. I'm not even sure what the new law states. Will have to check into it. All I know is, if you are travling through Cali, keep you gun unloaded and the the ammo in the trunk! Had a buddy that has a ccw permit and he still go his gun taken and had to appear in court and pay fines!
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry
City, State: Old Pueblo

Post by Jeffshadows » May 18 2010 9:28 pm

As long as you are not a prohibited possessor, you will be able to carry everywhere on NPS land except those federal buildings that display signage forbidding weapons. Since state law says it's okay for you to carry concealed without a permit you can do so on park land as long as you are not carrying an unlicensed class III weapon, etc. You could carry in the open as of 22 February and will be able to carry concealed as soon as the law goes into effect.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » May 18 2010 9:30 pm

As far as the permit goes, I'm on the fence. I do like having reciprocity when I travel, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » May 18 2010 11:46 pm

As a gun owner, I appreciate the change in the law, but I still feel that every gun owner should take the CCW class. Not for the permit, but for what you learn. As for the actual permit, I like it for the ability to carry when I cross state lines and/or in a National Park.

If it hasn't been mentioned on this forum before, the absolute authority on Arizona's gun laws is Alan Korwin, who writes a book that explains how the laws affect you as a gun owner in common language. Definitely worth your $15. http://www.gunlaws.com/agog.htm

And just as a reminder, Arizona's Native American Reservations are neither state nor federally managed land and have their own laws regarding possession. Make sure you are familiar with them before heading on a hike on the reservation while packing.
Ja vi elsker dette landet

skatchkins
4xFourkopelli
City, State: Glendale, AZ

Post by skatchkins » May 19 2010 1:00 am

chumley wrote:As a gun owner, I appreciate the change in the law, but I still feel that every gun owner should take the CCW class. Not for the permit, but for what you learn.
X2
I'll keep mine
May he guide you through the wilderness : protect you through the storm;
May he bring you home rejoicing : at the wonders he has shown you;
Armchair Crisis Design

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » May 19 2010 8:18 am

You don't need a CCW to carry in a National Park, folks. Not after 22 Feb of this year. If you are a legal possessor you can have a gun in a Park. You still cannot discharge that weapon in most Parks (Saguaro and Chiracahua included), but you can have it. You can't carry it into the visitor center or into other federal buildings, however...
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

Jim_H
Climate Windchime
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Post by Jim_H » May 19 2010 9:16 am

jeffmacewen wrote:You can't carry it into the visitor center or into other federal buildings, however...
Does this mean the NPS Visitor Centers have metal detectors like court houses?
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » May 19 2010 9:23 am

jeffmacewen wrote:You can't carry it into the visitor center or into other federal buildings, however...
Does that include pit toilets?

base871 - those are the only three reasons I have heard for keeping the permit. As for getting a new permit, perhaps the revised requirements will allow the education portion more room and range training a little less. Of course, it appears that taking a hunter safety course might now be enough to qualify for a CCW permit. Lifetime bonus point and CCW? Sounds good to me!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » May 19 2010 10:03 am

PageRob wrote:
Does that include pit toilets?
I asked and they said no. Only if the building is marked.
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » May 19 2010 10:07 am

So that's where the term shootin' the... ah nevermind
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Jeffshadows
Dirty Pooch Harry

Post by Jeffshadows » May 19 2010 10:17 am

Carrying a weapon into an outhouse is an unwise idea to begin with. I can tell you a few amusing stories, starting with one about a lieutenant whose sidearm disappeared down a port-o-let in Baghdad and what a great time he had trying to retrieve it... :sl:
AD-AVGVSTA-PER-ANGVSTA

base871
Seed Gatherin' Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe

Post by base871 » May 19 2010 11:04 am

You cant carry into a federal building, but I do know that they have to have a lock box to keep your firearm in while you enter the building. Just ask.
"The Edge. There really is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » May 19 2010 11:09 am

But if you don't bring it in with you, where do you put it?
Woman's gun stolen after leaving it in restroom
(AP) – May 5, 2010
JUNEAU, Alaska — A 24-year-old Juneau woman went into a public restroom packing heat and left burned. The Juneau Police Department reports Veronica Valle-Arnes was carrying a Ruger .380 — a small pocket pistol — worth about $400 with her Friday night.
She told police she took the gun out of her waistband and set it on top of a toilet paper dispenser in the women's room at the Fisherman's Wharf, a building on Juneau's downtown waterfront with a bar, eateries and shops.
She told police she forgot to pick it back up. When she realized it was missing a few moments later, she returned to the restroom but the gun was gone.
Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Ja vi elsker dette landet

fairweather8588
Jeep Bustin' Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by fairweather8588 » May 19 2010 11:30 am

I think the current system is also a means of providing funding for the DPS, correct?
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » May 19 2010 11:32 am

I don't understand the fetish with carrying a gun everywhere you go. What is it that prompts this need? Can this be explained to me? Is it just what we outsiders see it as: paranoia, or is there some other reason someone would want to carry a gun with them at all times? Please don't feed us that constitutional right argument, because that only protects the right, it doesn't justify the reason to want to do it always. I support free speech, but I don't go around yelling and screaming on street corners. Hey, I enjoy reading about Jerry Falwell's first time in a Larry Flynt publication as much as someone might enjoy reading about a criticism of our government, but I don't but I don't carry it with me always.

fairweather8588
Jeep Bustin' Kokopelli

Post by fairweather8588 » May 19 2010 11:46 am

Chet P wrote:I don't understand the fetish with carrying a gun everywhere you go.
:bdh:
No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » May 19 2010 11:48 am

fairweather8588 wrote:
Chet P wrote:I don't understand the fetish with carrying a gun everywhere you go.
:bdh:
Yeah, yeah, yeah, right back at your "beating a dead horse".

fairweather8588
Jeep Bustin' Kokopelli

Post by fairweather8588 » May 19 2010 11:52 am

Everytime a gun related question comes up, theres always the "carrying a gun= paranoia" comment which quickly sidetracks the op's question, so lets save the bickering for the other threads like our official HAZ gun debate http://www.hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtop ... tion_g.php

Kerouac

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » May 19 2010 12:04 pm

fairweather8588 wrote:Everytime a gun related question comes up, theres always the "carrying a gun= paranoia" comment which quickly sidetracks the op's question, so lets save the bickering for the other threads like our official HAZ gun debate http://www.hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtop ... tion_g.php
OK, but you didn't quote the paranoia part, you quoted the statement leading up to the question. Sure, the paranoia claim might be :bdh: , but if it keeps coming up there is a reason. It just depends on why that is.

Regardless, I don't understand the fetish with carrying a gun everywhere you go. So, what is it, really? Don't give us in the non-believer crowd that :bdh: response, because it doesn't answer the question.

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”