Map
MAP
A to Z
notifications my cmntsmy comments

Guns on trails in others' hand.

Moderator: HAZ - Moderators

Linked Descriptions none
Linked Areas none

What is your experience with guns on trails in the hands of others?

I have never seen a gun on a trail.
7%
I have seen a holstered gun on a trail and didn't care.
61%
I have seen a holstered gun on a trail and felt threatened.
3%
I have seen unholstered weapons on a trail and was not bothered.
15%
I have seen unholstered weapons on a trail that were not aimed at me, but felt threatened.
No votes
I have seen weapons on a trail that were aimed at me on accident.
1%
I have seen weapons on a trail that were aimed at me on purpose.
4%
I have been shot at while hiking.
10%
I have been shot while hiking.
No votes
I have been hiking and someone in my group was fatally shot.
No votes

Total votes: 103

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Guns on trails in others' hand.

Post by PaleoRob » Apr 28 2011 3:57 pm

So, on the infamous militia thread, there was the following comment:
Snick33 wrote:Small Genitals, Big Egos
It seems like some people don't have or don't see a need for weapons on the trail. That's fine. Some people carry all the time, even in their own home. That's fine too. I am just wondering about blanket statements like this, or similar ones from the pro-carry side that seem to imply that the unarmed are fools. Perhaps there is a motivation behind the reason to carry or not carry. I thought I'd post a poll because it seems like there are a lot of opinions on the matter.

I'm hoping for some explanations to the selections, but that is optional. When I say "hiking", I mean recreational hiking, not working as a backcountry FS LE, NPS LE, BP officer, sheriff, military, etc. I mean going out into the forest or the desert to enjoy a hike. This is also for personal experiences, not friend-of-a-friend type deals. You can chose as many as you want, since you may have been in several different situations. You can change your vote, because maybe tomorrow something will change.
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie
City, State: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Guns on trails in others' hand.

Post by Alston_Neal » May 05 2011 10:46 am

One of my favorite images was when my wife and I were in the Usery area. A woman coming toward us by herself had a holstered revolver hanging front and center by her buckle. I'd never seen a pistol worn like this, but it was at the ready and she wanted to make sure everyone saw it.
She also was well into her 60's......go granny go!
In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

PaleoRob
Culture Kokopelli
City, State: Grand Junction, CO

Post by PaleoRob » May 05 2011 10:54 am

North American Arms makes a revolver that fits into a belt buckle. Kind of cool!
"The only thing we did was wrong was staying in the wilderness to long...the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight..."
-Old Spiritual
My book, The Marauders on Lulu and Amazon

Alston_Neal
Tweet Boogie

Post by Alston_Neal » May 05 2011 11:00 am

In Japan they say only old people and crazy people hike mountains...........yep

Our humble abode..
http://www.oldterritorialshop.com

autumnstars
Viva Vegapelli
City, State: Las Vegas, NV

Post by autumnstars » May 07 2011 10:20 am

While most folks seem able to use common sense and manage to not shoot at anyone, there are always exceptions. Both of my negative hiking experiences involving guns occurred when I was hiking off-trail. In neither case was it hunting season.
About 10 years ago, a small group of us was hiking near sunset toward our vehicle parked just outside of Sagauro NP. We heard bullets coming pretty close, and quickly realized someone was shooting (at random, we hoped) from just outside of the park into the park. We started yelling, blowing whistles and waving our arms like crazy. The shooting stopped and we heard an ATV take off down a wash really fast, but never saw anyone. That was surreal.
The second incident was also a random shooter, although it occurred here in Nevada. That time, I was able to talk to the guy, and he just said that he didn't ever think there would be anyone "out there." He was parked about 200 meters off a busy state highway on an unpaved road, and just randomly shooting in the direction the road continued. :?
"Let it ride / Let it roll / Let it go"

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » May 08 2011 11:00 pm

Survivalhike's recent post about hiking with tunes reminded me of something I haven't seen mentioned here. More than bad guys or yahoos, I worry about startling people in way that puts them in self-defense mode. Usually I make more noise if someone doesn't seem to hear me from a safe distance, but some people remain unaccountably oblivious. Once in a while somebody totally freaks out. There's been nothing worse than screaming yet, but I wonder if a couple of those folks might have done something more drastic if they could.

survivalhike
Exploring Kokopelli

Post by survivalhike » May 10 2011 1:47 pm

I saw my name, and had to reply to this one. I carry a gun while I hike. It's heavy, odd shaped, cumbersome, the holster rubs my thigh raw sometimes, and in a good sun the black metal gets hot, which follows me around like a little heater I don't need. All that being said, it's still worth it. I don't carry a gun because of bears, snakes, lions, or whatever other manner of imagined threats are out there...I carry a gun because if I were to encounter someone who was intending to hurt me or kill me, I would have the means to self-rescue and keep myself from harm. I hope that as long as I am hiking, camping, or enjoying the outdoors that my gun never sees any more action than the occasional dunk in the river when I miss my boulder. I hope I never ever have to use it, but just like I bring iodine tablets, survival stuff, and a first aid kit...it's just good practice to have some method of defense from 2 legged animals. I have ran into people who carry the pepper spray foggers meant for bears because they don't like guns. I'm a gun guy, I've been a shooter for years, and I am comfortable around guns, so that's why I choose a gun over pepper spray. To each their own.

And I'm the same way about sneaking up on people, I usually scuff me feet as I walk to make some extra noise, or I'll talk a bit louder to a friend I'm hiking with to make sure the people I'm overtaking are aware of it. I only ran into one person who flipped out that I was carrying a gun, everyone else has either never said anything or showed me theirs. The one that flipped out literally started yelling at me on the trail about carrying a gun, I didn't say anything because I was floored. She did what I call a "kamikaze" argument. She yelled for about 10 seconds then turned around and headed quickly away down the trail without giving me a chance to reply. Though I am a nice person, I'm sure not all people are that way, and I personally would not make a habit of telling random people with guns that they are a bunch of idiots... libel not to end well if she runs into the wrong person.

ufocprez
Exploring Kokopelli
City, State: Scottsdale

Post by ufocprez » Jan 30 2014 11:35 am

I'm new to HikeArizona. I'm planning on starting the AZ Trail in March, starting in Southern AZ. I thought I would do some research on firearms as I plan to bring mine.

Of those "shot at" who was shooting at them?

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Jan 30 2014 12:45 pm

I used to carry while hiking and backpacking every once in a while. All I ever got shot at with was nervous glances :)
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 30 2014 1:29 pm

I used to carry a lot. I realized after some time, however, that the people I knew and admired the most in Arizona, who had the most days hiking, sleeping on the ground, never carry. I am talking about people who spend about 1/4 to 1/3 of all the nights in a year camping out or backpacking and sleeping under the stars. People I know who have spent maybe 4 years worth of nights in the past 10 years--and have hiked THOUSANDS of miles--these are the people I admire, and most of them never carry a firearm.

So, who do you want to listen to? The paranoid types who talk a lot, or the ones actually out there DOING it?
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Thoreau
Gadget Kokopelli

Post by Thoreau » Jan 30 2014 1:37 pm

Neither. As a grown adult, I get to make my own decisions and care not what others do/say/think.

Tough_Boots
Forest Gangster

Post by Tough_Boots » Jan 30 2014 3:23 pm

I didn't mean to steer this into a gun debate-- especially since I personally like guns. If I'm going to be serious, my argument would be that if you're doing long distance thru hiking, its probably not worth the added weight and that if you're gonna hang something with that kind of weight off of your body for weeks at a time you should probably make sure you've found the perfect way to carry and test that on multi-days (not just day hikes). Maybe we can just discuss logistics without having to fall into one of those debates that don't accomplish anything :)
"there is no love where there is no bramble."
--bill callahan

chumley
Norwegian Kokopelli
City, State: Tempe, AZ

Post by chumley » Jan 30 2014 5:11 pm

In response to @ufocprez who revived this thread from days gone by I would answer this (if I understood the question correctly). Seeing as you are from Arizona I suspect that you know that many people in this state own firearms and use them recreationally at times. I believe the only people who have been "shot at" are hikers who encountered either hunters or recreational shooters who were being either inconsiderate or negligent with their shooting. Unfortunately, this does happen from time to time and can be quite unnerving if you realize that somebody doesn't know you are "down range" of them. I personally have never had this happen and think it is a rare occurrence. But it can and does happen.
(I've heard plenty of gunfire but have never felt threatened or thought it was aimed near me)
Ja vi elsker dette landet

friendofThundergod
ˈpōət kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 30 2014 6:56 pm

I will comment now since tough boots steared it away from the dreaded gun control debate..I carry but am probably the worse carrier ever I keep mine stashed in pack somewhere and generally forget I have it most of time, however, I am solo often and it just feels nice to have around campsite sometimes, actually not afraid of mountain lions or people more afraid of a rabid small animal getting to close or even a warning shot for an unhealthy or crazy large animal might be needed ..but holstering a gun seems like such a drag to me even with some high speed holster I don't think I would like...too inhibiting and just one more thing to put on pants that never stay up as it is :) size of gun would also impact this, smaller probably better (I know thats what she said) but seriously carry it if it makes you feel better or stuff it in bottom of ruk and just feel good knowing its there...certainly better to have and not need rather than need and not have...
DISClAIMER: this does not constitute expert advise I only "walked" about 1200 miles last year and spent only 24% of my time outside...you might be better off referring to more legit backpackers they will set you straight don't listen to some of us mere walkers ;)

azbackpackr
River Paddler
City, State: Flagstaff, Arizona

Post by azbackpackr » Jan 30 2014 7:03 pm

friendofThundergod wrote: more afraid of a rabid small animal getting to close or even a warning shot for an unhealthy or crazy large animal might be needed ;)
The times I carried and was serious about it was when there had been a lot of rabid foxes and such, reported in the Blue Range. I once did fire it, also, into a safe direction in the forest. There was a mother bear and her cub, and I wanted to frighten them off. However, clapping my hands would have worked for that. The cub ran up a tree. The mother bear made noises at the cub, and the cub backed very quickly down the tree, and they ran off.

I'd been told about an incident with an acquaintance of mine who is a trail crew leader in the A-S NF, Alpine District. He told of a rabid fox that kept hanging around the trail camp. There wasn't much they could do other than throw rocks at it, since none of them is allowed to be armed. This might have been about 10 years ago or so.
There is a point of no return unremarked at the time in most lives. Graham Greene The Comedians
A clean house is a sign of a misspent life.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Jan 30 2014 7:50 pm

Thoreau wrote:Neither. As a grown adult, I get to make my own decisions and care not what others do/say/think.
Then why post in a forum asking for others opinions?

But the OP also asked about those how have been shot at, and I would hope no one here has had someone taking shots at them while hiking.
Nothing more enjoyable than a good hike out of town.

friendofThundergod
ˈpōət kokopelli
City, State: AZ

Post by friendofThundergod » Jan 30 2014 8:16 pm

@azbackpackr
Exactly more likely needed for the above mentioned rather than what most people think they need them for, ie snakes and mountain lions sigh

big_load
You talkin' to me peli
City, State: Andover, NJ

Post by big_load » Jan 30 2014 8:28 pm

Jim_H wrote:I would hope no one here has had someone taking shots at them while hiking
I was one who answered "yes" to that. I've been shot at three times (once in AZ). In none of those events would being armed have helped me. Being ready to hit the dirt was far more useful.

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Jan 30 2014 8:31 pm

big_load wrote:
Jim_H wrote:I would hope no one here has had someone taking shots at them while hiking
I was one who answered "yes" to that. I've been shot at three times (once in AZ). In none of those events would being armed have helped me. Being ready to hit the dirt was far more useful.
One time I was concerned about being shot at when I was in Kayenta, but if they wanted to kill me, the FBI wouldn't have looked too hard for the body, and I wouldn't have had much of a chance.

joebartels
teva joe

Post by joebartels » Jan 30 2014 8:39 pm

I recall an incident many moons ago when te-wa described "2 bullets wiz by us"

Cactuscat? and another member ( sorry, I can't find the triplog or maybe I'm dreaming it ) both reported bullets whizzing nearby Canyon Lake/Boulder Canyon Trail?
...some guy target practicing

Pine Canyon Tragedy
Hike Arizona it ROCKS!

Jim_H
Climate Windchime

Post by Jim_H » Jan 30 2014 9:02 pm

Then, HAZ members are still looking for Joe, too.

Return to “Firearms / Knives / Tools / Hunting”